Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Peter Wright

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

cressyg wrote:
Its interesting that people state Cox is gone but we should trade in Wright. Their stats are basically identical and Wright won't come cheap 9either in trade or $$).
Cox: Kicks: 5; Marks 4; Contested Marks 2; HB 4; Goals 1.2; HO 7.5
Wright: Kicks 7 Marks 5; Contested Marks 1.2; HB 4; goals 1.2 HO 4

I dont think Cox is gone yet. We'll surly see him again in 2020.

But he'll be 30 in March. Will he still be around when he's 31? Wright will be 25 when Cox is 31. When you think of it like that, he's a great replacement.

Cox is not going to get any better. Wright will. Will he turn into Wayne Carey? No. Will he become better than Cox? Very possible.

What is his contract? When compared to Jeremy Cameron ($1M+) and even Ben Brown ($800k+)... We can afford him. The trade value, thats hard to judge, but I'm sure it's not going to be outrageous. And he was a die-hard Collingwood supporter growing up, so wont have trouble convincing him. Mind you so was Lynch.

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:43 am

Alex wrote:
cressyg wrote:
Its interesting that people state Cox is gone but we should trade in Wright. Their stats are basically identical and Wright won't come cheap 9either in trade or $$).
Cox: Kicks: 5; Marks 4; Contested Marks 2; HB 4; Goals 1.2; HO 7.5
Wright: Kicks 7 Marks 5; Contested Marks 1.2; HB 4; goals 1.2 HO 4

He was there second leading goal kicker last year and is 23 years old while Cox is 29.

... and Cox has gotten far more F50 entries to do something with than Wright. I haven't looked up the stats, but Collingwood are right up there in F50 entries while GCS are near the bottom. On those F50 entries, Cox is similarly targeted at a much higher rate than Wright has been (playing alongside Lynch and then King will do that).

If Wright were to be given the supply Cox has had, it's not a stretch to conclude his stats would 'improve'.

That's the thing about out of context statistics, you can make them tell whatever tale you like.

My personal opinion is that Wright would be a welcome addition to the list and immediately provide more than Cox or Cameron. From a supporter speculation perspective, he's a somewhat realistic target for myriad reasons, but in reality, there is no indication from anywhere that this is even a remote possibility. Perhaps if it is mentioned often enough here, it can be talked into existence...
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:10 am

Presti35 wrote:
There are no FFs.

Walker - old and no good anymore.
Rafael Nadal - Too skinny and hasnt really turned it on yet.
Casboult - Finally turns it on but is too old.
Cox - Cant get back in.
Daniher - Cant get fit.
Hogan - Cant stay fit.
Hawkins - Old as shit.
Patton - Cant stay fit.
Weideman - Not improving.
Ben Brown - Turned to shit.
Westhoff/Dixon - Old as shit.
Jack - Getting old.
Buddy - Old as shit.
Kennedy/Darling - Old as shit.
Bruce - Not really a FF.

McCartin - Concussed and basically retired.
Boyd - Depressed and retired.

King Twins - Sensational but ungetable.
Cameron - Demanding a billion dollars.
Lynch - Missed our chance.

Only ones available are second rate and 2-Meter Peter is probably the best one available. I can't see who else we can look at. King Twins will never be available, JC demanding too much money and we missed out on Lynch.

Will Kelly hopefully becomes the player we've been missing.

Mihocek is 28, Darcy Cameron is 25, Cox is 29, Will Kelly is about to turn 20. Peter Wright is 23.

We're not going to be able to solve the FF issue, but most other teams are or will soon be in the same boat. Are there any youngsters coming through?

You forgot Adelaide's Darcy Fogarty. Probably ungettable. But should be on your list.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Sicks Bux wrote:
You forgot Adelaide's Darcy Fogarty. Probably ungettable. But should be on your list.

A great set shot. 195cm, 20 years old. Adelaide wont be moving a potential future star. He is from Adelaide too. Does already have some injury worries though.

derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:29 pm

Bucks2014 wrote:
Enjoyed the summarise from presti and agreed with everything you said. This young man kicked 27 goals from 17 games in his second season. Perhaps he had enough of playing for the cellar dwellers.

Fairness to them they aren’t going to bad this year, in saying that there’s reports they are paying King ridiculous money. Don’t get me wrong the kid will be a star, beautiful kick, good hands, good leading patterns already, if only. Anyway what I’m trying to say is clearly Peter is down the pecking order.

I really think he is worth a chance, as stated he’s only 23 as far as I’m aware he did a medial knee injury early in his career but has been pretty sound since? Correct me if I’m wrong, wouldn’t be the first time.

Again, I can’t see him costing much as far as draft picks, as inxs said he’s playing reserves. Surely he must request a trade, also after giving Witts away basically for free they owe us. Surely we are interested.

We need something to hope for. There just isn’t anyone else available, sorry that we can afford.

Not entirely true, to play my own devil's advocate..we could go to the draft and get a kid, or get a Mitch Georgeadias type at Port (funnily enough the Pies wanted him but Port pounced first).

When you look at our list we need to be contending for the flag over the next 4 to 5 years. Peter Wright is slap bang in our age bracket and mould of player. I would be stunned if Collingwood (along with several other Vic clubs) had not already been asking the question of the Suns.

Even if he does cost us a bit in terms of draft picks and cap space. As Hawthorn showed in thier great years. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. Just look at the Shuan Burgoyne trade i almost started laughing when I read what Hawthorn paid for a player who was at the time chronically injured and seemed near the end of his career. Here we are ten years later..he is still playing and won three flags.

billy_picken25 Cancer

billy_picken25

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:41 pm

Given Wright is not playing for GCS, they are investing in King and Lukosis (?), he shouldn't cost too much.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:47 pm

Anyone remember last time he played against us?
Anyone care to provide his stats?
My memory is he did fuckall

Alex 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:36 pm

neil wrote:
Anyone remember last time he played against us?
Anyone care to provide his stats?
My memory is he did fuckall

5 kicks, 1 handball, 2 marks, 5 hitouts, 4 tackles, 0 goals.
Game before he was terrible as well.
But on Round 17, 2017, he kicked 3 goals against us

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:08 pm

^ Thanks
And people want him?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:35 pm

Exact Type of KPF we need
Alex 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:55 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

idk about the exact type, but it is realistic and in our price range.

derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:07 pm

Alex wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

idk about the exact type, but it is realistic and in our price range.

I will second Dave, short of having the name King or Kennedy or Lynch...

He is exsactly the player we need... 23 (so a few years in the system). 203cm great key position forward height. 103kg so won't get pushed around.

About the only thing I can say that coming to Collingwood means you have to enjoy long stints on the sideline being injured. Because as a club.that is about all we are good at winning is the injury ladder.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:07 pm

If you recruit in too many average players, you end up with an average team.

I would rather stick with the draft and then keep our powder dry until we can ( eventually ) afford a proven target up forward.
They don’t even have to be tall, just effective most weeks ( Cameron, Papley types etc )
derkd 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:14 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
If you recruit in too many average players, you end up with an average team.

I would rather stick with the draft and then keep our powder dry until we can ( eventually ) afford a proven target up forward.
They don’t even have to be tall, just effective most weeks ( Cameron, Papley types etc )

Given that we are on the verge of signing multiple players to very long and expensive contracts...i am not sure when we will have the money for a big name forward. Papley is also a small player. Cameron is a great player, he can also go missing sometimes.

We can't afford to go to the draft for a key forward. They take years to find thier feet. We will be contenders for the next 4 or 5 years... they need to be ready now...or else we remain and also ran side that will battle in the bottom half of the eight.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:18 pm

another vanilla footballer. no thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: