Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rounds 9-12

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about a heap of travel i hope they like flying. Collingwood have the most travelled draw of all the teams. I notice richmond dont have to travel at all.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:58 am

^If that's the case I'd like to hear the AFL's explanation for it.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:12 pm

Pies punished, Hawks gifted in latest fixture release

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/pies-punished-hawks-gifted-in-latest-fixture-20200722-p55eg8.html
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm

K wrote:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/pies-punished-hawks-gifted-in-latest-fixture-20200722-p55eg8.html

"The Magpies famously travel less than everyone else in an ordinary season". That's not really true. We do the same amount of travel as every other Melbourne based club that doesn't sell home games. It's only famous because people get cut and need to find something to hang on to if we have a winning season.

But at least we wont hear about the less travelling and the amount of games at the MCG tripe. Instead it'll probably be "it's not fair because Collingwood got to play Adelaide". Rolling Eyes

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:26 pm

But Richmond who do travel less, play more MCG games have yet again been well and truely looked after.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:27 pm

the fuzz wrote:
I'm expecting a few players to have a rest after the Sydney game at the Gabba. Those players to stay in QLD and miss the trip to Adelaide to play Crows.
I'd rest half the team, in particular Grundy, Pendles, Treloar, Moore and Elliott.
Bring in Cameron/Lynch, Sier, Tyler, Dunn, Appleby, JT, Keane.

It will be the team that plans the best that will do well out of this scenario. Depth is the key.

Constructive thinking Fuzz! I like it! How the team will be managed will be a really interesting aspect of this part of the season. Who knows - we could see the emergence of a couple of previously untried players Wink
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:56 pm

The travel concerns me even though the opposition is not as strong. Flying from Perth to Brisbane off 4 days is mind boggling. Not sure why we didn’t just go straight to Adelaide and play Port then the Crows before going to Brisbane. Possibly could rest a few players in Brisbane whilst we are over in Adelaide.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:09 pm

Presti35 wrote:
K wrote:

"The Magpies famously travel less than everyone else in an ordinary season". That's not really true. We do the same amount of travel as every other Melbourne based club that doesn't sell home games. It's only famous because people get cut and need to find something to hang on to if we have a winning season.

But at least we wont hear about the less travelling and the amount of games at the MCG tripe. Instead it'll probably be "it's not fair because Collingwood got to play Adelaide". Rolling Eyes

It's a myth, and I'm tired of the football media peddling it year after year.

Since 2015 (excluding home games being sold), this is the number of interstate trips that have been made in the home and away season by each Victorian team:

St Kilda = 31 (could be 30 if you don't include the China game from last year as they were technically the "home team")
Carlton = 30
Essendon = 29
Richmond = 28
Geelong = 26
Collingwood = 25
Western Bulldogs = 25
North Melbourne = 25
Hawthorn = 24
Melbourne = 22

Since 2012, we've consistently played 5 interstate games every year and never travelled the least out of all Victorian clubs in any of the last 10 seasons. I can't say the same for other clubs in the same period of time:

Hawthorn only had 3 interstate trips in 2012.
Hawthorn only had 4 interstate trips in 2013.
Melbourne only had 4 interstate trips in 2014.
Geelong only had 4 interstate trips in 2015.
Melbourne only had 3 interstate trips in 2015.
Western Bulldogs only had 4 interstate trips in 2016.
Melbourne only had 4 interstate trips in 2017.
Hawthorn only had 4 interstate trips in 2018.

Last year, every played 5, 6 or 7 interstate games last year. Six Victorian clubs including us played 5 interstate games last year.

I don't count "home" interstate games as teams relinquished the right to play their games in Victoria to make extra money.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:34 am

The biggest issue I have with our draw is that every side we play for 3 consecutive games will be entering the match having had at least 1 extra days rest between matches.

Against Sydney and Adelaide this hopefully shouldn't prove enough of a hindrance to victory but by the time we get to the final game against Melbourne in this compressed schedule they will enter the match having had an extra 2 days rest and this seems an unreasonable advantage to me.

The AFL have already altered the fixture released this week and we should push for another change.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:39 am

^ yes, is the biggest issue for me too. The idea of resting some players for the Adelaide game may be what needs to be done. If we come away with the 4 points, great, if not then we haven't gifted a win to a top side and we'll be fresher for the following games
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:33 am

tbaker wrote:
^ yes, is the biggest issue for me too. The idea of resting some players for the Adelaide game may be what needs to be done. If we come away with the 4 points, great, if not then we haven't gifted a win to a top side and we'll be fresher for the following games

I think we should field an almost reserves type team for Adelaide.
We may win, we may not. It will be a good experiment either way. It will give younger and fringe players a chance to get a game and give our best 22 a break before we meet Melbourne.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:24 am

^ if you drop games you are not supposed to drop in a 17 game schedule, it might mean the difference between top 4 or not.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:34 am

the fuzz wrote:
tbaker wrote:

I think we should field an almost reserves type team for Adelaide.
We may win, we may not. It will be a good experiment either way. It will give younger and fringe players a chance to get a game and give our best 22 a break before we meet Melbourne.

If you were going to field a weakened line up it would make more sense to do it against a strong team where you might have lost anyway. Then play your strongest team against the weak teams to guarantee the four points.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:41 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
^ if you drop games you are not supposed to drop in a 17 game schedule, it might mean the difference between top 4 or not.

The flip side is that we win, but ruin 5-10 top tier bodies and lose the next 3-4.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:11 pm

So Sydney at the Gabba
Adelaide in Adelaide
Melbourne at the Gabba

How about swapping the last two around
Less travel more sense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: