Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sam Newman

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
This thread is doomed from conception. We clearly have 2 mods with negative opinions of the subject of the thread which means no discussion is even.

What I’m trying to figure out is what our opinions on Newman (whatever those may be) have to do with our position as moderators. Has anything even been moderated in this thread so far? If not, what are you expecting will be? Otherwise, we remain entitled to express our views as posters, of course.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:47 am

Yes it has, you split the thread from where the OP was posted. When I asked why you moderated it! Go to the original thread and see. In fact my OP now makes no sense, at the very least you could have explained the split.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:17 am

I split this topic out, not David. I took the view that Sam Newman is a stand alone topic, one that was going to get swamped in a discussion of George Floyd and the US protests. Your OP is unedited.

Bear in mind that the George Floyd thread was created at Stui's request to extract the issue from one of the general "odds and sods" threads.

I fully understand your point that Newman resigned at least partly because of pressure following comments he made about George Floyd. But, save to say that it is bizarre that an elderly ex-Geelong ruckman who worked in the football media as a marginal "comic" figure should have considered that he had any special understanding that warranted him making any comment at all about politics in another country, Sam Newman has got nothing to do with George Floyd being killed by police or the protests about that.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:05 pm

The past actions of George Floyd were certainly nothing to be celebrated and I did find it somewhat disingenuous that most of the media didn't paint the whole picture of the man but at the end of the day none of his crimes carried the penalty of death, he had obviously served his time and on the day was arrested for a non violent incident.

The bigger picture though and what is so often forgotten is that it's poverty and disadvantage across all ethnicity that drives the prison population and racial discrimination is just another aggravating factor on top of that and unless we address it the prisons will continue to be filled by the George Floyd's of the world not because they are born inherently bad but because they were born without an equal opportunity to succeed.

On a side note I found Dave Chappelle's take on the death of George Floyd quite powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tR6mKcBbT4

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:57 pm

https://twitter.com/Origsmartassam/status/1274258980903301121

Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:16 pm

hehe
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Imagine starting your career the year after your team wins the flag, playing for 17 seasons and achieving diddly squat with your team. It must be very, very difficult to cope emotionally with a champion like H who snuck in as a rookie, played at the highest level, won a flag and was an all-Australian.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:32 pm

300 games, club captain, 2 best and fairests and an All Australian, member of the AFL hall of fame, the Geelong hall of fame and the Geelong team of the century.

If that equates to diddly squat I'd hate to see what you need to do to be a star.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:39 pm

Win a premiership.

I'm sorry - I didn't appreciate that I was in a Geelong forum.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:40 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Win a premiership.

Now do Buckley & Skilton.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
300 games, club captain, 2 best and fairests and an All Australian, member of the AFL hall of fame, the Geelong hall of fame and the Geelong team of the century.

If that equates to diddly squat I'd hate to see what you need to do to be a star.

bang! bang!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:45 pm

Wokko wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Win a premiership.

Now do Buckley & Skilton.

out of the ball park!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:03 pm

Plenty of football superstars never won a premiership, plenty of spuds who happened to be "right place right time" are premiership players.

I don't think any objective assessment would suggest that Jarryd Blair was a better player than Nathan Buckley or Phil Carmen or that Toby Nankervis is a better ruckman than Grundy.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:08 pm

Wow, Harry O’Brien a better footballer than Nathan Buckley, never thought I’d see that on a Collingwood forum!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:21 pm

Why? Unlike Newman, Skilton was an all-time great and in his many, many years in the media was always an incredibly gracious human being. I never heard him say a bad word about any player, ever. He was an ornament to the game in all capacities. Newman, not so much over the last 40 years.

As for being in the Hall of Fame, it must have more to do with his longevity than anything else. Here's a list of ruckman he played against that were obviously better than him:

Nicholls
Dempsey
Thompson
Moss
Scott
Ditterich
Round
Greene
Balme
Teasdale
Fitzpatrick
Hampshire
Lee
Alexander

There's probably others. Those are just off the top of my head.

My abiding memory of him is the 1969 first semi final against Richmond - watching Mike Greene put it down Bartlett's and Barrott's throats all afternoon - that was the year he was named "all-Australian".

Let's be clear, though, being named "all-Australian" meant that he played for Victoria in an era of team quotas - you couldn't have more than two players from a club picked for Victoria. It isn't like they looked at the season, as they do now, and said it was out of Gawn and Grundy for the all-Australian team. So, nobody in their right mind would have picked Newman to ruck for Victoria if Greene was available - but Bartlett and Hart picked themselves. So, he was picked as second ruck behind Nicholls. God knows why Thompson wasn't in the side ahead of Newman - no-one seriously thought Newman was in Thompson's league - but Terry Waters and Ricky Watt were fabulous players and each were in peak form that year.

I can think of a lot of fine players for Geelong over the years. To me, Newman was just a bloke who played in their team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: