Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

POST GAME - Collingwood beats Richmond in preseason match

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
Nathan Murphy for mine. Only played the last qtr and was VERY impressive.
Tough as nails and a bit raw but he was a fine talent as a junior.
If he can get some continuity on the park, he will be playing seniors sooner than later.
Keane and Cameron also impressive.
It’s always hard to get a read on individual performances in scratch matches but a good individual performance is always a positive step.

If he can stay fit and get a good run at it, Murphy is a 200 game senior player. Then again, I’m reasonably confident I said the same thing in 2018 - and he didn’t stay fit or get a good run at it. He is certainly a potential star, though.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:29 am

^ haha. But I agree. I only caught the second half and was (again) impressed - Murphy reads the play well and is very courageous and has a good tank. I watched the first half later in the evening and was disappointed to see that he didn't play in 1H, having missed the trial game against Carlton last week as well. I'd like Murphy to take Aish's place in the team, but for now they may be eyeing off Mayne to be taking the half back flank. I actually think Murphy could be a great wing option as well. Moving back to intercept mark but offering us a marking target as we come out of defence.

I have not been a Keane nor Daicos fan, but both did well today.

Similarly Cox and Cameron were poor against Carlton but showed a bit today. I think they both showed that Grundy's actual tapwork is a deficiency for us.

I was delighted to see DeGoey in the middle in 4Q. We must play him much more in the square. He is our best clearance player, having both strength and speed. In time I hope we play him like Dusty, who starts in the middle and then drifts forward when it suits him to make a nuisance of himself with his strong body and good movement.

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:55 am

Votes are:

3- Noble
2- De Goey
1- Cal Brown

Notable mentions: Cameron and Murphy also Adams did a bit also.

Like to know everyones votes from yesterdays win v Richmond up at wang
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:01 am

Forgot to mention Mayne and Maynard both had a good hit out.WHE needs a decent run though looked lost yesterday.

Treloar should be ok he did take his kick after the mark and it was a long kick too so im not all that concerned on his hammy. I think its just a tweak that's all he will be having scans on it tomorrow. The team gets back to Melbourne this afternoon. Friday I think theres an open training session on at Olympic park.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:21 am

90 nice wrote:
WHE needs a decent run though looked lost yesterday.

Treloar should be ok he did take his kick after the mark and it was a long kick too so im not all that concerned on his hammy. I think its just a tweak that's all he will be having scans on it tomorrow.. .

Was a putrid short tired lazy kick from WHE that forced Treloar to lunge for the mark, thus causing the injury.

Reckon WHE is no longer a lock for the starting 22, and might struggle to retain his place during the 2020 season.

Thought yesterday was a step in the right direction, even against a Tiger unit minus Martin, Snipergirl, Houli, Lynch and Jackoff.
The above players are a consistent pain in our arse.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:21 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
I think they both showed that Grundy's actual tapwork is a deficiency for us.

This is so definitely the case I reckon, especially at centre bounces.

Grundy is actually a better round the ground ruckman (and an excellent one!!) when he can use his body strength to jostle and his lion-hearted stamina to distinct advantage.

I thought that yesterday showed we have better centre bounce clearance ruck men at our disposal, who can tap it clear to our mids. Can't recall which one it was (Cox or Cameron) who delivered it straight to JDG in the clear. It was beautiful to see. Both ruckmen were also valuable tall targets in the forward line.

Strange as it may sound, I think the coaches have a dilemma now as to how to best use Brodie!!!
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:38 pm

I didn't see much of the state of origin match, but I did see Grundy give a beautiful tap to Pendles.
Steak Knives 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:23 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I didn't see much of the state of origin match, but I did see Grundy give a beautiful tap to Pendles.

He delivered a beautiful one as well to Coniglio.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:33 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

Grundy is actually a better round the ground ruckman (and an excellent one!!) when he can use his body strength to jostle and his lion-hearted stamina to distinct advantage.

I thought that yesterday showed we have better centre bounce clearance ruck men at our disposal, who can tap it clear to our mids. Can't recall which one it was (Cox or Cameron) who delivered it straight to JDG in the clear. It was beautiful to see. Both ruckmen were also valuable tall targets in the forward line.

Strange as it may sound, I think the coaches have a dilemma now as to how to best use Brodie!!!

This is where scratch matches can be deceptive. Cameron looked good against the Tigers second string ruckmen, Soldo and Chol.
Nankervis didn’t play. It’s much easier to look better against the next level down.
Grundy does what he does ( enough to be our reigning B and F ) every week against the oppositions number one ruck choice.
I think we need a bigger sample size against better opposition before we start moving Grundy around for Cameron or Cox in the middle.
I dont see the three of them playing in the same team, so for mine, it’s more a shoot out between Cox and Cameron for one spot.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Pies 2016 that’s a very valid point tho at the least to our good (injuries kept low) we have competent rucks to include in an emergency

Cameron and if Max Lynch fit and improving

I feel boyant with the group. Time will tell

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:48 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
^ haha. But I agree. I only caught the second half and was (again) impressed - Murphy reads the play well and is very courageous and has a good tank. I watched the first half later in the evening and was disappointed to see that he didn't play in 1H, having missed the trial game against Carlton last week as well. I'd like Murphy to take Aish's place in the team, but for now they may be eyeing off Mayne to be taking the half back flank. I actually think Murphy could be a great wing option as well. Moving back to intercept mark but offering us a marking target as we come out of defence.

I have not been a Keane nor Daicos fan, but both did well today.

Similarly Cox and Cameron were poor against Carlton but showed a bit today. I think they both showed that Grundy's actual tapwork is a deficiency for us.

I was delighted to see DeGoey in the middle in 4Q. We must play him much more in the square. He is our best clearance player, having both strength and speed. In time I hope we play him like Dusty, who starts in the middle and then drifts forward when it suits him to make a nuisance of himself with his strong body and good movement.

I think we should be circumspect about calling particular players good "tap ruckmen" until we see them play against Richmond with Martin and Cotchin in the team. I'm pretty sure that Grundy's rucking is designed by the coaching team as much to negate the opposition midfield as to feed ours. His present ruck style is not the one he had when he first rucked in the 2s. I'm similarly sure that Cox or Cameron will be required by the same coaching staff to ruck to a different plan in proper AFL games.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:51 pm

^^^ couldn't agree more.

A few takeaways from the game -
1. It was a practice match, and should be viewed as such. The intensity was fairly low throughout.
2. Signs were pretty good with promising displays from Keane, Cameron, Noble and Murphy. C.Brown (T seemed a bit off) and Daicos were both prominent with quick clean hands.
3. We seem to have found a couple of players in the last draft. Bianco's kicking is a real highlight - pinpoint accuracy, weight and depth. One in particular when he passed through the center of the ground piercing traffic to hit the chest was a joy to watch. Rantall looks a keeper and was very busy in the quarter he played with a very nice 7 or 8m pass into F50 disguising the distance well to fool the ump into awarding a mark to Checkers (I think it was).

I'm not mentioning the experienced or senior players given the nature of the game.

Promising, but it was a praccy, so while it's nice to get one over them, it's mostly meaningless (unless the results of today's scan prove otherwise for Treloar), then it has the potential to be an unmitigated disaster.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Not a bad hitout although my wish to get through without an injury was dashed late.

Within the Seniors - Adams doing what Adams does. JDG, even when going at 50% is exciting. Elliott busy creating opportunities. Treloar looks eager to put his stamp on matches.
Cal Brown could work in a phone box, lightning quick hands. Crisp, probably amongst our 1st picked each week. Daicos uses the ball so well, one I reckon can take the next step but it appears it's above the shoulders where he needs to develop.
Mayne, if he was a car I reckon a Kingswood, very reliable sitting between the entry level Belmont and the top spec Premier.
WHE and Thomas, lively, but didn't impact.
Phillips had a howler. Players like him that rack up possessions but don't use it efficiently hurt you longer term. For that reason not in my Best22 in 2019 and not in it in 2020.
Cox was solid, threatening to dominate at times. Still a work in progress. Keep him forward, he's not a ruckman.

I liked the work out of the back line. Crisp continues to be one of our most important players. Maynard and Roughead look set for another good year. Drop Moore in there and it's a pretty formidable unit.

Great to see our younger players getting amongst it.

Keane showing further improvement post a strong 2019. A backline with Maynard and Keane would undoubtedly make players walk taller. Keane has a leap and appears quick. Maybe he's the replacement for Langdon...

Magden and Cameron solid contibutors. Neither panicked under pressure. I like Camerons sure hands in the marking contest.

T Brown was busy early then faded. A2B2 seemed to be a bit overawed with his legs moving quicker than his mind...Bianco, Rantall and Murphy showed enough promise that they're the type of players to earn their opportunity for promotion over the next 24 months.

Wouldn't mind D Grimes in the B&W, quality player.

My votes :
3. Noble
2. Mayne
1. Adams

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:50 pm

Fun fact | we had the lowest winning score of the round
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:38 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

Grundy tap work looked pretty good on Friday night. Maybe the mids need to read him better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9   

Jump to: