Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

POST GAME - Collingwood beats Richmond in preseason match

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest who is the better kick out of Shaz and Magden.?
Remembering Shaz was renown for his elite kicking ...

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:07 pm

magpieazza wrote:
Just out of interest who is the better kick out of Shaz and Magden.?
Remembering Shaz was renown for his elite kicking ...

I don’t think there is much doubt that Shaz is a better weighted kick but I think part of Magdens improvement is on the back of not trying to bite off too much with his kicks. Madgen knows his game and plays within his limitations.

For mine, the player who could pass them both by, is Keane. He strikes me as having more upside than the other two. I just get the feeling Shaz and Madgen have reached their ceilings as players, while others like Kelly and Keane are still on the up.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:21 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Grundy's rucking is designed by the coaching team as much to negate the opposition midfield as to feed ours.

Clearances set ups are an intricate and very flexible part of strategy. You can either set up with an extra behind the ball or set up with an extra at the contest or choose to go head to head ( this is obviously only applicable soon after the 6 6 6 centre bounce )
If you set up behind the ball, the expectation is more about having the numbers to win it back after losing the clearance and then move it forward while the opposition is caught out of position. Richmond do it better than most. They are also statistically poor at centre clearances but their record speaks for itself.
Nobody sets out to lose a clearance but for some clubs, it’s far less of an issue than others because those clubs are generally very well drilled with the extra behind the ball.
Clubs spend an entire preseason practicing various set ups. The best coaches are the ones that make the correct call against the opposition much more often than not.

Many thanks for taking the time to explain this Pies2016. Much appreciated! Smile It made clearance strategies a helluva lot clearer to me.

Just a question,... given that the 6-6-6 rule would make it difficult to position players strategically at the initial centre bounce, could it at times be beneficial if a secondary ball-up was created after the first bounce? (Just thinking of Grundy"s tendency to push the ball down to his feet at times). Would really appreciate your answer Smile
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:25 pm

^^^

Cheers P P.

I imagine the ensuing ball up after a halved centre bounce is something Collingwood would be very comfortable with.
Statistically, we are better at around the ground clearances than we are centre square clearances. Grundy comes into his own at ball ups and this is more the likely scenario where our advantage starts.

Whether we set up with an extra at the contest or behind the ball can vary for a number of reasons. The opposition on the day, strong winds ( usually an extra behind the ball when we are kicking into the wind ), the scoreline, position on the ground ( usually go with an extra around the ball in your own back half ) time into the qtr, etc.
This is where great leaders come into their own. They will call the plays as per the scenario at hand.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:52 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
^^^

Cheers P P.

I imagine the ensuing ball up after a halved centre bounce is something Collingwood would be very comfortable with.
Statistically, we are better at around the ground clearances than we are centre square clearances. Grundy comes into his own at ball ups and this is more the likely scenario where our advantage starts.

Whether we set up with an extra at the contest or behind the ball can vary for a number of reasons. The opposition on the day, strong winds ( usually an extra behind the ball when we are kicking into the wind ), the scoreline, position on the ground ( usually go with an extra around the ball in your own back half ) time into the qtr, etc.
This is where great leaders come into their own. They will call the plays as per the scenario at hand.

Thanks again Pies 2016. Everything you say here makes absolute sense. I will now watch the ruck contests, both in the centre and around the ground, with far more interest and diligence!! Laughing Very interesting what you also say about the role of the on-field leaders in setting up the right configuration.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:23 am

^^^ Agree with all of the above, and it's clear that some teams deliberately look to cause a secondary ball up in the center to allow them to set up how they prefer i.e. not 6-6-6. It also give the ruckman the opportunity to body up rather than come head on.

The role of the leadership group has been greatly increased given the runner rules, and 'voice' has never been more important. You definitely see a lot more gesticulating out on the field than you used to...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9   

Jump to: