Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

POST GAME - Collingwood beats Richmond in preseason match

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

LaurieHolden wrote:
Not a bad hitout although my wish to get through without an injury was dashed late.

Within the Seniors - Adams doing what Adams does. JDG, even when going at 50% is exciting. Elliott busy creating opportunities. Treloar looks eager to put his stamp on matches.
Cal Brown could work in a phone box, lightning quick hands. Crisp, probably amongst our 1st picked each week. Daicos uses the ball so well, one I reckon can take the next step but it appears it's above the shoulders where he needs to develop.
Mayne, if he was a car I reckon a Kingswood, very reliable sitting between the entry level Belmont and the top spec Premier.
WHE and Thomas, lively, but didn't impact.
Phillips had a howler. Players like him that rack up possessions but don't use it efficiently hurt you longer term. For that reason not in my Best22 in 2019 and not in it in 2020.
Cox was solid, threatening to dominate at times. Still a work in progress. Keep him forward, preferably out of the square, he's not a ruckman.

I liked the work out of the back line. Crisp continues to be one of our most important players. Maynard and Roughead look set for another good year. Drop Moore in there and it's a pretty formidable unit.

Great to see our younger players getting amongst it.

Keane showing further improvement post a strong 2019. A backline with Maynard and Keane would undoubtedly make players walk taller. Keane has a leap and appears quick. Maybe he's the replacement for Langdon...

Magden and Cameron solid contibutors. Neither panicked under pressure. I like Camerons sure hands in the marking contest.

T Brown was busy early then faded. A2B2 seemed to be a bit overawed with the occasion with his legs moving quicker than his mind...Bianco, Rantall and Murphy showed enough promise that they're the type of players to earn their opportunity for promotion over the next 24 months.

Wouldn't mind D Grimes in the B&W, quality player.

My votes :
3. Noble
2. Mayne
1. Adams

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:55 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
Grundy tap work looked pretty good on Friday night. Maybe the mids need to read him better

Did it? Any others have opinions on that?

Oh... I now see these:

Steak Knives wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I didn't see much of the state of origin match, but I did see Grundy give a beautiful tap to Pendles.

He delivered a beautiful one as well to Coniglio.

Is the glass half full?

LaurieHolden wrote:
WHE and Thomas, lively, but didn't impact.

What does this mean? They ran around like headless chooks?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:53 pm

Let’s give Darcy Cameron some games against AFL sides in regular season

If he goes OK maybe a Leroy Brown role

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:22 pm

^ Cameron has all the potential to be 2020’s Gault.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:09 pm

Saw nothing of the game, and cant take too much outa a practice game, but a win beats a loss anyday,hey. ! From memory, we have beaten the Tigers 3 outa the last four times, by 44 points each time, is that a fact is it ? Maybe we could be the tigers bogey team, this season, we only lost to em later last yr, cos yet again, we were crippled with injuries, and the Stephenson saga. Good to beat the arrogant prick tigers, anytime, really. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:08 pm

[quote="K"]
scoobydoo wrote:
Grundy tap work looked pretty good on Friday night. Maybe the mids need to read him better

Did it? Any others have opinions on that?

Oh... I now see these:

Steak Knives wrote:
I didn't see much of the state of origin match, but I did see Grundy give a beautiful tap to Pendles.

He delivered a beautiful one as well to Coniglio.

Is the glass half full?
_______

Pendlebury was playing for the opposition on Friday night. The tap to Coniglio, over his head, was very nice ruckwork though and saw the AllStars kick a goal from it.

I thought Grundy had the better of Goldstein and S Martin who were worried by him in the bounces and he ran them around the ground. But I didn't think his tapwork was all that amazing. Still, Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio and Neale could even make my tapwork look acceptable!

I think that DeGoey may be the key to improving our clearance work. As the commentators noted, when he plays in the centre, we win more than 50% of clearances and he is our No 1 clearance player. I was encouraged to see him declare himself as 'Finally Fit" or something to that effect, on his Instagram post of him taking a speccie. Seems he has comfort with his body.
I think he may lack Dusty's tank, but he can do everything else Dusty can do in terms of strength, clearances and he is a better overhead mark than Dusty. Could be anything as glimpses of his performance on Sunday showed.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:14 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Cameron has all the potential to be 2020’s Gault.

High praise indeed. Smile

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 am

"Collingwood midfielder Taylor Adams copped the most serious sanction of the weekend, facing a $2000 fine for an incident with Nick Vlastuin in the Magpies' win over Richmond on Sunday.

Adams' fourth-quarter indiscretion was assessed as careless conduct, low impact and how contact."

(afl.com.au)
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Steak Knives wrote:

_______

Pendlebury was playing for the opposition on Friday night.

I know that they were playing for different teams. That's why it was so noteworthy. I have never seen him give it to Pendles like that in a real match!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Grundy's rucking is designed by the coaching team as much to negate the opposition midfield as to feed ours.

This is an interesting take on it Pies4shaw. Wink

If you're correct, then I reckon it's a strategy that needs a bit of a re-think, because more often than not, we have lost the centre clearances across recent seasons.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:38 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I'm pretty sure that Grundy's rucking is designed by the coaching team as much to negate the opposition midfield as to feed ours.

This is an interesting take on it Pies4shaw. Wink

If you're correct, then I reckon it's a strategy that needs a bit of a re-think, because more often than not, we have lost the centre clearances across recent seasons.

Clearances set ups are an intricate and very flexible part of strategy. You can either set up with an extra behind the ball or set up with an extra at the contest or choose to go head to head ( this is obviously only applicable soon after the 6 6 6 centre bounce ) If you set up behind the ball, the expectation is more about having the numbers to win it back after losing the clearance and then move it forward while the opposition is caught out of position. Richmond do it better than most. They are also statistically poor at centre clearances but their record speaks for itself.
Nobody sets out to lose a clearance but for some clubs, it’s far less of an issue than others because those clubs are generally very well drilled with the extra behind the ball.
Clubs spend an entire preseason practicing various set ups. The best coaches are the ones that make the correct call against the opposition much more often than not.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Saw the practice match: renewed my Kayo subscription yesterday.

Of the less experienced players I liked:

Callum Brown;
Keane;
Madgen (who I think is getting better all the time and is generally a good decision maker, reads the ball well and looks at home in the backine);
Cameron;
Daicos;
Noble and,
young Rantall.

Good hitout.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:39 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Saw the practice match: renewed my Kayo subscription yesterday.

Of the less experienced players I liked:

Callum Brown;
Keane;
Madgen (who I think is getting better all the time and is generally a good decision maker, reads the ball well and looks at home in the backine);
Cameron;
Daicos;
Noble and,
young Rantall.

Good hitout.

Agree about Madgen. Don’t understand the negative press here on Nicks. Solid player imo

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:56 pm

He certainly looked competent on Sunday and his disposal by foot was very good. Question is whether he can do it when the opposition brings the A game and fields the A team.

He’d be miles ahead of Scharenberg if he kept up that form, though.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:22 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
He certainly looked competent on Sunday and his disposal by foot was very good. Question is whether he can do it when the opposition brings the A game and fields the A team.

He’d be miles ahead of Scharenberg if he kept up that form, though.

Check out his past games: they’re actually a lot better than what he’s given credit for.

The only issue he has is that every now and then he wants to do a lay-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: