Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Moving forward, 2020 and beyond

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:12 pm
Post subject: Moving forward, 2020 and beyondReply with quote

I'm pretty crap at making plans and sticking to them, but sometimes you just have to.

My plan is to be able to retire sooner rather than later, but there's some tiny problems. First of these is I'm spending over $300 per week on cigarettes. So a couple weeks back, I made my plan for 2020 and beyond. Step 1 was to stop smoking, step 2 to get the double umbilical hernia surgically fixed and step 3 get fitter not fatter.

So, step 1. I've given up before and a long drawn out build up I just can't do, so I looked into Hypno therapy and booked a session for Friday just gone.

Prepared mentally for the week, had the ritual last cigarette at 2:20 pm, Friday 17th January 2020 before walking into the appointment.

I've long thought that I'd be difficult to hypnotise and it seems I was right. I tried but when I walked out I really wanted a smoke. Npne of the stuff seemed to have stuck.

Anyway, struggled through Friday arvo and evening, thought I'd see if the subconscious had absorbed anything that it could build on overnight. The answer is, not much.

So I'm basically going cold turkey, from 35 per day to zero. I'll be generous and credit the hypno therapy with 10% because even if it didn't work it played an important part in the mental preparation to quit.

So nearing 6pm Sunday I'm 50 hours smoke free. The trick is not to lapse in the next 50 hours. It's about taking ownership and not making excuses. It's my decision to stop smoking, no one elses and yes just one will hurt, so tough it out.

Now I could have made this thread just about quitting smoking but I deliberately didn't. It's about entering a new decade, the 20's, and taking control of what I can control rather than floating with the current and complaining where it takes me. Anyone with plans for 2020 and beyond, feel free to share here

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stui, I gave up around 20 years ago, cold turkey from 40 a day. I chewed on gum not the Nicotine stuff. It takes a few weeks, you'll get there.

The benefits are unreal.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 pm

Cheers Bruce. I've done it before, no matter what you do for a build up, once you pull the trigger it's not pleasant. Just need to push through
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:56 pm

keep pushing mate, and maybe put the $300 a week in a separate account, (man thats a lot of lenses in a year!!) well done for trying and for your honesty.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:30 am

Go for it: well done. Like Bruce said; it takes a few weeks but you’ll do it. I did cold turkey 20 yrs ago and needed to change the things I was doing that I’d associate with smoking. I reduced my alcohol.

Well done, keep it up.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:13 pm

Cheers WPT, getting through work today was ...interesting. All the cues that would normally have me going out for a smoke had me actually getting up a few times before the "I don't smoke" kicked in

Mind you, if reducing your alcohol helped with your smoking, you must have had an alcohol problem. I'd smoke from shortly after waking but only started drinking alcohol late arvo early evening. Wink

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:53 pm

I went cold turkey as well in my early 20s. I was one of those bastards who wasn't bothered at all when quitting but I'd wake up in the morning and smell/taste something that was like how my addicted brain thought tobacco smells/tastes, like the most amazing thing ever. I'd just have a coffee and ignore it. Being drunk was the worst though, always wanted a smoke bad then.

2020 for me is weightloss. I tipped the scale at triple figures (exactly 100kg) and my fighting weight is 78, so a long way back.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:17 pm

Wokko wrote:
I went cold turkey as well in my early 20s. I was one of those bastards who wasn't bothered at all when quitting but I'd wake up in the morning and smell/taste something that was like how my addicted brain thought tobacco smells/tastes, like the most amazing thing ever. I'd just have a coffee and ignore it. Being drunk was the worst though, always wanted a smoke bad then.

2020 for me is weightloss. I tipped the scale at triple figures (exactly 100kg) and my fighting weight is 78, so a long way back.

Keto is your friend (with a Dr) and or Michael Mosley's 800 calorie (online)

ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:12 am

think positive wrote:
keep pushing mate, and maybe put the $300 a week in a separate account, (man thats a lot of lenses in a year!!) well done for trying and for your honesty.

I did that 11 years ago, Put 150 dollars a fortnight into a xmas club. paid my legends membership and the rest for a holiday to thailand every year. Retired now but could afford to smoke here but not in Oz, Put on a lot of weight but have lost most of it. Figured as I was doing nothing don't eat 3 meals a day but if need a snack eat sometning off a fruit cart.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:17 pm

think positive wrote:

I have my wages go to what used to be an interest bearing account before interest rates hit the floor, and do a weekly auto transfer to the everyday account which is my spending money.

Hopefully this means that the balance in the interest account starts going up again rather than down. Wink

so 100 hours since my last smoke. Coping reasonably well, just tripping over habits like when I think to myself "I'll just go for a smoke before..." then catch myself.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

so 100 hours since my last smoke. Coping reasonably well, just tripping over habits like when I think to myself "I'll just go for a smoke before..." then catch myself.

Well done, keep it up. Lots of water during the day.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:02 pm

So, getting there. Still not smoking but struggled with a different set of circumstances, where ingrained habit comes back hard. Driving, kicking back up in Toc,,,,,

I've come to a realisation about why quitting smoking and similar addictions can be so difficult. You're actually acting counter to your natural reward system.

The human mind is designed to encourage addictive behavior, probably an accidental hangover from caveman days.

The best modifiers of behaviour are consequences that are immediate and certain, whether positive or negative.

Touch red hot coal, consequence pain, won't do that again. Behaviour modified. Light a cigarette, take a drag, instant nicotine hit plus dopamine. I'll do that again, and as the hit gets less and less each time I'll do it more and more often.

Try to quit, you get your morning coffee and your body goes "where's the cigarette?" Dopamine loaded and ready to fire gets the cold spoon treatment and brain doesn't like it. The brain is really good at getting us to do stuff we shouldn't do.

One piece of chocolate cake won't hurt,
Ditto for 1 cigarette, 1 beer, 1 loaf of bread, 1 block of chocolate, 1 hit of heroin or Ice etc depending on what your addiction is.

You know if you fold, you'll get that dopamine hit you're craving and by saying No and staying strong, you're getting nothing. Shit, people can even train themselves to get dopamine from exercise if they're masochistic enough (looking at WPT here) but the brain has no reward system for denying yourself stuff, just for doing stuff. It's sub conscious brain vs conscious brain

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:47 pm

So still not smoking, no relapses. Getting pissed off with my body though, I'm going to have to go back to the physio. Trying to do exercise for the numbness in the feet isn't working, it's making it worse. Backing off and doing stretching instead, works. A bit.

I've done something to my right shoulder. It doesn't hurt but it's operating on 50%.

just take it one drink at a time I guess.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:19 pm

So 6 months down the track, I sure didn't anticipate the Coronavirus making a mess of the country, but I've been able to stay on track.

Back in January, the plan was to quit smoking, get the hernias repaired and then drop weight and get fitter.

So far, so good.

Still not smoking, tick
5 weeks into recovery from hernia surgery, tick
Using the time I used to commute to work for exercise, been walking 2.5 - 3km 5 mornings per week at a pace of just under 10 minutes per km. Fitness picked up a lot. Tick.

Managed to keep the weight stable over the past 6 months until the past 4 weeks when I've put on 3kg. Potentially a combination of the stage 4 lockdown and recovering from the surgery which restricts what exercise I can do,

So today started a 28 day diet/weightloss program, Aston Rx. Seems to have a basis in Keto but also bloodsugar. Did fasting blood tests over a week ago so they map out a program based on that. Got a list of vegetables I'm allowed to eat, no sugar, no alcohol, no starch or carbs. Daily menu plan with interchangeable options.

Lets see how it goes.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:32 pm

Brilliant work Stui! I am impressed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: