Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bushfire smoke masks

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

try living in a city thst has 1000s of Chinese visiting every day. Most are on the pay for everything in China deals but a few escape for a beer. You can't wear a mask all the time.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:55 pm

I think you might be one of the people Stui’s warning us to keep away from, RR! :p
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:25 pm

China coronavirus

The origin is suspected to be a food market that "conducted illegal transactions of wild animals"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51176409
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:26 pm

Rolling Eyes
And now confirmed in Australia

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-sydney-scare-as-china-heads-into-shutdown/71c2e099-d49b-42b9-b4b1-02bc4a0457a6
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:03 pm

And France!
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:18 pm

'No safe level': Study links PM2.5 pollution to increased risk of cardiac arrest

https://www.smh.com.au/national/no-safe-level-study-links-pm2-5-pollution-to-increased-risk-of-cardiac-arrest-20200128-p53v98.html

"The study found the risk of cardiac arrest increased by 4 per cent for every 10-unit increase in PM2.5 levels...

In 2019, Sydney residents were exposed to a record 81 days of hazardous, very poor or poor air quality – more than the combined total for the previous 10 years. Air quality is deemed "poor" in regards to PM2.5 when it reaches 25 µg/m3 – or 100 on the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment's air quality index.

Study lead author Kazuaki Negishi, from the University of Sydney School of Medicine, said despite recent concerns about rising PM2.5 levels, residents are "blindly" assuming air quality is safe at levels below 25 µg/m3, when there is really "no safe level" of PM2.5 pollution.

"It might not be a good idea to continue to seek [a new] threshold, but try to continuously improve our air quality. If a threshold exists, it should be very, very close to zero," Professor Negishi said."
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:11 am

man i can see why this dust is so dangerous, i took the pool cover of monday and the pool was covered in it, like the walls were sheated with it, and so was both sides of the pool cover. i tried to vac to waste, but it was stuck to the sides. I had to get in the red pool and scrape the walls down, then i bought some flocculant and let the filter run. this morning i vac to waste, but i didnt quite get it all. it also leaves a film on the surface. it took me 2 hours to vacuum the pool, clean around the pool so the storm later doesnt wash the red back in, and to scrub both sides of the cover, i just cant image those towns close by that copped that dust cloud full on. its like grit in your mouth. i wore a mask, the filter is red!! and now im too buggered to swim!
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:19 pm

Might want to hang on to those masks if we have a corona outbreak.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:26 pm

"UNICEF said Wednesday it has shipped six metric tons of respiratory masks and protective suits to China for use by health workers.

Respilon, a Czech company that makes its "nanofiber" masks in China, sold 700,000 of them last year worldwide. Since last week, it received orders for 7 million more. The problem: It cannot make any because the Chinese government extended the Lunar New Year holiday in a bid to contain the virus' spread.

In Taiwan, where the holiday is over, factories are up and running. Premier Su Tseng-chang said the government had already distributed 23 million masks and that Taiwan will be able to produce 4 million more a day.

A mask factory in Shanghai has gone into overdrive despite the holiday.

"We are now working 24 hours, two shifts a day, 12 hours shift," said Liao Huolin, president of the mask company. "We violated labor law," Liao said, "but the workers understand.""

(AP)
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:47 am

Mask Hoarders May Raise Risk of a Coronavirus Outbreak in the U.S.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/29/health/coronavirus-masks-hoarding.html

"Even though there are only five cases of Wuhan coronavirus in the United States, the mask hoarding has begun.

Some pharmacies report being entirely sold out of masks. Some popular sellers on Amazon say deliveries will be delayed for weeks.

Masks are part of the medical equipment stored in the National Strategic Stockpile, which is distributed in government-controlled warehouses around the country. But experts said they did not know how many were in storage or how long the supply was projected to last in an epidemic.

Trials in Canadian hospitals during the 2003 SARS epidemic and during flu season showed that nurses who wore a mask were less likely to get flu.

Nurses who wore N-95 masks ... were particularly protective for those who did dangerous procedures like intubating SARS patients.

There is less data proving that masks keep patients from spreading germs. But this common sense notion has led many hospitals to adopt rules saying that any emergency room patient with flu symptoms is immediately handed a mask and asked to put it on."
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:31 pm

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
K wrote:
Four is better than two! We don't know how long this will go on for.

Sad true, man its so awful, ...

The question is how many uses you can get out of each mask. The manufacturers wisely don't say anything concrete. The issue is how to keep them from getting too wet.

Personally I’ve never worn one more than once, but I’m not paying for them!!!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:51 pm

hotel near me has had no guests for 3 days, closed the bar and cafe and sent most of them home, without pay. big buddha day on saturday so all bars closed.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:39 am

eddiesmith wrote:
Personally I’ve never worn one more than once, but I’m not paying for them!!!

What is your line of work?
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 pm

Volunteer Firefighter
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:03 pm

The End of Australia as We Know It

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/15/world/australia/fires-climate-change.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: