Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training Report. Friday 10th January.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:02 pm
Post subject: Training Report. Friday 10th January.Reply with quote

With some hesitation, I bid farewell to my refuge in Melbourne’s far outer-east: its been a rough summer around our beautiful nation and Warburton, despite its unique micro-climate is as likely as any place in Victoria to become prey to the uncompromising beast that bushfires are. Again, my prayers are with the courageous individuals who are often all that stands between this fiery foe and the homes, businesses and the many good people of Terra Australis.

I near the Holden Centre and I consider the proliferation of unique structures that abound in this sporting hub of Melbourne. I wonder, if humanity were wiped out by a pandemic, what aliens would think of the arenas left behind? An enormous stadium with near on 100,000 seats; a rectangular patch of grass surrounded by a beehive like structure; the uniquely-shaped Holden Centre with a statue of a (great) man carrying an unusually shaped object and Gosch’s Paddock, overgrown now with great self-sown Elms with only traces of cut up, faded, season’s tickets the only relic left behind by Melbourne supporters, embittered by decades of failure and derision. And, in amongst all that lot, the rusting remains of the Jolimont Railyards, stretching and fading into the distance like the veins of an octogenarian Olympic weightlifter.

Reality returns as I am served my traditional muffin with Hot Chocolate chaser in the Cafe adjacent our training track. I’m truly excited to be here to witness the return of the senior squad from their Christmas break my excitement heightened by the peak condition of so many of our stars as they hit the track.

Absent today are: Beams, Langdon,

Whilst the following players appear to be on restricted/light duties and were mostly jogging laps: Stephenson, & Dunn,

It is hard to imagine Grundy getting better, but his endurance and capacity to cover the ground is breathtaking. He gets from contest to contest and, in contrast to other seasons, seems to have a much more consistent connection with those on his team who are the beficiaries of the ‘silver-service’ he provides.

Jake Kelly and Tyler Brown continue to impress and push their claims for senior honours in 2020. ‘Son of Cement-Head’ is quite a different style of player to his flag-winning father- he is taller, quick, highly-skilled and looks to be quite capable in the high-marking stakes. Tyler Brown has ‘excitement’ written all over him, although not in the indelible ink favoured by Beams, Swan, De Goey and 1970’s cult-figure Kevin ‘Disneyland’ Grose. His attack on the ball is ferocious (family trait) and he sells candy like a store holder at Queen Victoria Market on a busy Sunday. Much to like about this young fellow.

Bosenavulagi and Quaynor have both added muscle to their frames; each look stronger in their upper body than 2019 and neither lack pace- it’s encouraging to see each ‘take the game on’- such an integral element of the modern game. Our forward line is infinitely more potent when we can isolate targets (Elliot, Hoskin-Elliott, De Goey, Stephenson, Cox) one-on-one). These two lads offer the quick ball movement that makes things happen.

The development of Tom Phillips as a young leader is impressive- he has always been strong on the track, but he has added the dimension of ‘voice’ to his repertoire as he moves about the group encouraging his teammates. In turn, they respond to his positive affirmations with enhanced efforts in drills. iT was a shame that Phillips could not participate in the post-Christmas time trial due to a niggle. Rantall smashed it again and was followed home by the Man of Steele; interestingly, the next three in order of finishing were Max Lynch, Murphy and Kelly- big improvements in the fitness of these three big units.

We are blessed with a solid coaching group. The loss of Longmuir from the defensive end was inevitable; he is too good a football mind to not be snapped up, but we have some excellent men in Hocking, Harvey and the under-rated Sanderson.

I had to leave training early as I am still struggling after a New Year’s Eve fall in which I broke two bones in my wrist and three ribs as well as a big toe. I see a surgeon next Friday- If I get the all-clear, I may well make it back to report on training in the near future..

Floreat Pica and a Happy New Year to all Nicksters...

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated W L and also to all the other training day contributions from fellow Nicksters.
Agree that Murphy and Kelly’s finishes in the time trial shouldn’t be understated ( my words ) First and foremost, you don’t get a regular senior gig if you can’t run the game out. It’s not everything but it means the fitness base is there and that’s a good start. Good signs.

More importantly, may you enjoy a speedy recovery.
As any doctor will tell you, the best way to maintain good health in an ageing body is to ..... “ not fall “
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:34 pm

Thanks Lad. Sounds like a bigger battle than usual to have attended. Wishing you a speedy recovery accordingly.

You've lost none of your sharp wit, even if your body is less willing. Loved the manner in which you contrast Tyler Brown with Beams/De Goey et alia.

I am pleased to read about Quaynor. He's essentially only been doing run throughs pre Christmas. Did he do the time trial or any kicking work today?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:24 am

Thanks again for your insighful report WL

Hope you'r e OK with your injuries making your travels from The Outer East of Mlbourne all the way to the 'Holden Centre impressive: I dips me lid. Thanks and well done

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:49 am

hope your better soon
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:42 am

Epic wordsmithery, one of your finest compositions WL. But mate, no more falls... look after yourself.
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:03 pm

Thanks for the report Lad. Appreciated. Smile
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:25 pm

Great stuff Laddy.
Q. From your observations from the past to the now, do you consider our pies to be in a better place (list management) wise now or were you more upbeat a few years ago because stars like SP, Howe, Moore and TA to name a few had more up side because of thier age say 3 year ago?

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:21 pm

With 7 weeks till March 1st game all the current fit players and the ones working thru injuries hopefully should give us a close to full list

No more injuries pleeeeeese

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:56 pm

simon tonna wrote:
Great stuff Laddy.
Q. From your observations from the past to the now, do you consider our pies to be in a better place (list management) wise now or were you more upbeat a few years ago because stars like SP, Howe, Moore and TA to name a few had more up side because of thier age say 3 year ago?

hi mr Simon Tonna.
list management is a difficult concept.
I prefer to lookout the notion of 'opportunity-management'.
in this respect, a few years ago we were a fair way off it; two years ago were breathtakingly close to the holy grail (barring injuries my have saluted)
At the end of that season we recruited Beams and Roughead and could honestly look forward to better times with the return of Moore and Elliott.
Prior to 2019, we had the chance to grasp an opportunity by recruiting Lynch but were gazumped by Richmond. Opportunity lost...

Think we are very well placed, still, because our stars are still capable of star-quality efforts.

I am bullish about the quality of youth about the place and see vast progress from Kelly, Atu, Murphy, T.Brown, Sier, Wills, C.Brown. On displayed form, Bianco could be the real smoky of the 2019 draft class

I can see the management of the 2020 opportunity being predicated by a few subtle changes in player positioning and the capacity of the youth to 'step-up'. This, more than any 'Hail-Mary's' around the return , for example, of Beams, will determine whether we prevail.

At the end of 2020, its likely Dunn, Varcoe, Reid, Greenwood will move on providing opportunity for more youth to come into the list. This is both inevitable and positive...

in short, I think we are better placed list-management wise than three years ago...

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:46 pm

Thank you for the report, Lad.

Speedy recovery on the health front.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:52 pm

Totally agree with your comments about Bianco, Warburton Lad. All the attention has been on Rantall winning time trials. Time trials don't account for a lot in actual games of footy. Good things come in small packages and Bianco is a complete package. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year who are assuming our first pick in Rantall is going to be the first to debut.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:48 pm

warburton lad wrote:
simon tonna wrote:
Great stuff Laddy.

hi mr Simon Tonna.
list management is a difficult concept.
I prefer to lookout the notion of 'opportunity-management'.
in this respect, a few years ago we were a fair way off it; two years ago were breathtakingly close to the holy grail (barring injuries my have saluted)
At the end of that season we recruited Beams and Roughead and could honestly look forward to better times with the return of Moore and Elliott.
Prior to 2019, we had the chance to grasp an opportunity by recruiting Lynch but were gazumped by Richmond. Opportunity lost...

Think we are very well placed, still, because our stars are still capable of star-quality efforts.

I am bullish about the quality of youth about the place and see vast progress from Kelly, Atu, Murphy, T.Brown, Sier, Wills, C.Brown. On displayed form, Bianco could be the real smoky of the 2019 draft class

I can see the management of the 2020 opportunity being predicated by a few subtle changes in player positioning and the capacity of the youth to 'step-up'. This, more than any 'Hail-Mary's' around the return , for example, of Beams, will determine whether we prevail.

At the end of 2020, its likely Dunn, Varcoe, Reid, Greenwood will move on providing opportunity for more youth to come into the list. This is both inevitable and positive...

in short, I think we are better placed list-management wise than three years ago...

Thanks Laddy. This year should indicate whether our older players you mention are worth retaining if fit for one more year.
Thanks for your efforts this pre season.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:30 am

Wonderful report Warburton Lad. Eloquent AND informative. Lots of information presented in such an interesting way!

Sorry to read about your injury woes. Get well soon and look after yourself.

Please comment on what you've seen of Nathan Murphy and Trey Ruscoe. Thanks.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:47 am

Trey Ruscoe I find an interesting person and by that he seems unfrazed with the hype that goes with being picked by the biggest club in the land

Can he play and has he the temperament that he displayed at interviews

I feel I will follow his career with some interest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: