Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Training 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads7 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:57 am
Post subject: Training 2020Reply with quote

Hello Nicksters,

Not sure if there is a dedicated training thread for training details, reports etc. so please merge if required.

Caught some of the session today. Believe it is the first for the year. Few observations below:

- 35 training on the track (incl. rehab group)
- Rehab group: Greenwood and Dunn
- Players not sighted: JDG, Moore, Beams, Stevo, Appleby, Broomhead, Keane, Tohill, Langdon, Phillips, Reid

- Sier: work rate looked promising, some impressive lightning handballs
- Draftees (Rantall, Bianco, Ruscoe): all had good intent and did a few nice things, seem to be settling in okay
- Rantall: running capacity on display during match simulation drills, marked Tyler Brown and put plenty of space between them; made himself an option regularly
- Ruscoe: few notable defensive spoils
- Bianco: good decision-making and hit his targets

Darcy Cameron:
- Paired with Cox during sprints (sets of 4x length centre square) - Cox easily quicker off the mark, put 1-2 metres between them each time
- Good size; took a few good contested marks

Players that stayed on track after main session:
- Rantall: worked with Scott Selwood on evasive skills (receive handball and evade)
- Roughy and Madgen: Defensive spoils
- Cox (stayed out the longest - 10+ minutes), Wilson, Kelly: goal-kicking
mattdally 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report - how is Will Kelly developing?
Is he physically (and noticeably) bigger than last season. Hoping he could come on as the next key forward prospect - good to hear he is focusing on his forward skills.
Ads7 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:30 pm

I arrived at 10:30am (training started at 10:00am) and looks like I missed the 2km time trial. Pleased to have since read/seen a few of the boys I didn't see completed the trial, and perhaps are on modified training schedules which may include work inside the gym.

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1215417169426579456

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/albums/552492/first-afl-training-of-2020?modal=true&type=gallery&playlistId=552492&playlistSize=18

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/552420/rantall-wins-another-time-trial

Time trial results:
1st: Jay Rantall
2nd: Steele Sidebottom
3rd: Max Lynch
4th: Will Kelly
5th: Nathan Murphy

Note: Tom Phillips did not participate.

mattdally wrote:
Thanks for the report - how is Will Kelly developing?
Is he physically (and noticeably) bigger than last season. Hoping he could come on as the next key forward prospect - good to hear he is focusing on his forward skills.

No worries! I am hoping the same thing, and this was front of mind as I watched the boys train.

Admittedly, I only saw him run laps during the training sessions I attended in 2019, and don't have much to compare to. However, he looks a few kgs heavier in 2020, and was noticeable during training as a forward marking option. Took a few nice marks on the lead. Impressed with his 2km time trial results as well.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:27 pm

Just to correct JDG, Stevo, Appleby and Keane were all there. Thought I spotted Phillips too although he didn't participate in the time trial. Good turn out I thought for the first day back at training and Buckley worked the boys hard in the hot sticky conditions.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:39 pm

Thanks to those who attended.

As I noted in the Mason Cox thread
Good to see Rantall, Sidebottom, Murphy and particularly De Goey at the front for the time trial. Showing some intent.

I think Murphy will really want to move ahead of Scharenberg and take Aish or Greenwood's back flank role this year (albeit I think there is an option for him to play forward as a 3rd marking type with Cox and Checkers, moving down to the wing).

Nice to see Adams and Stephenson there given their pre Christmas absence, even if Stephenson appears to have had a light session.

While done for completeness, I don't think it is even worth listing Beams' name as missing from a training list. There are low expectations for his return from within the club. That, of course, is a shame to have lost his services.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:19 pm

Thanks everyone for the observations. My anticipation for 2020 is high unlike last year's. 18 broke me and 19 quickly took shape has another year of "character building" and straw clutching.
This year I'm hoping for a quick, well drilled, accurate, tuff and confident team. A team pushed by upcoming young freaks who play there part and are stars from the get go.
Not asking for much, it's just that I think we as long suffering supporters deserve some payback.
Go pies.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:09 pm

Was Trey Ruscoe prominent at Friday hit out or just part of the group
robevpau1 Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:35 pm

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/albums/552891/monday-training-13-1?modal=true&type=gallery&playlistId=552891&playlistSize=15
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:22 pm

So far so good they are looking in great shape going by the photos please to see Greenwood out there too along with old man Dunn doing some work nice to see.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:47 pm

"The Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, Carlton and Collingwood all had open training sessions scheduled on Wednesday but they have had to change their plans.

Hawthorn has also cancelled Wednesday’s outdoor session and has rescheduled the rest of the week’s training load to offset the disruption.

After completing a planned indoor session on Tuesday, Collingwood has moved Wednesday's session from outdoors at the Holden Centre to the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/365793/smoke-haze-forces-melbourne-clubs-to-train-indoors
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:41 am

https://www.afl.com.au/news/367740/the-billy-experiment-why-a-high-flying-pie-is-clocking-midfield-minutes
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Just looking through the clubs photos from todays session.
https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/albums/552891/monday-training-13-1?modal=true&type=gallery&playlistId=552891&playlistSize=15
Can anyone who has been down to training let me know if Cal Brown has significantly bulked up? Photo 11 would suggest he's much much bigger than last season.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:26 pm

^ I don't think this week's photos are up yet.

But Friday's show:

Darcy has brown hair at the moment;
orange singlets are for the ill and injured running laps (e.g. JdG, JS).
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:32 am

Training observations today Wed 29/1.

Lighter session for 1.5 hours or so in perfect conditions. 10am start.

Warm up for 30 mins
Then games for 20 mins. Group split between American Football and Frisbee Football
Then broke up into about 4 groups for various drills around the ground- ruck stoppages, running through congestion with handballs or rugby passes. Bucks observing these as led by the line coaches.
Short period of transition football amongst the main group. End to end.
Goal kicking for a few at the end for 20mins - Mihocek, Tohill, Treloar, Atu, Adams, Cox, Bianco, T Brown, Maynard, Billy (briefly). Of these, I thought Treloar was the standout actually.

Of note
Langdon and Broomhead set off for a walk about 9.30am. Both seem a long way off.
Varcoe returned to the track post op, walking a few late laps with his arm in a sling with one of the fitness staff
Appleby unsighted
Ruscoe and Grundy did a few run throughs early by themselves and that was it
Reckon Jaidyn Stephenson did the full program today, which was a great sign. Short hair cut being displayed for those who are interested.
All other players participated in the Gridiron and Frisbee drills at the start incl Dunn and Greenwood who continue to make advances

When main group was working, separate conditioning drills then completed by
Dunn and Greenwood - lateral movement work to begin to test their knees and run throughs. Dunn is now at the stage of sudden changes of direction. Greenwood did a tonne of running today
De Goey doing repeat sprints of about 100-150m around the boundary. I'm not exactly sure why he continues on the modified program - hamstring or the shin soreness he's had in the past. May have a new addition to his arm sleeve as he wore a bandage for most of the session

Our list is pretty fit overall, with very few on a modified program. In better shape than last season I think in this respect.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:12 pm

Famous last words Alby but thanks none the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: