Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Bushfires and fuel reduction

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can’t we have both, like soft and hard tacos
1 works now, (controls, common sense stuff) and longer term, cut emissions

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:21 pm

Wokko wrote:
Yeah, much more likely that political policy of Liberal parties caused the bush fires and giving money to the UN would stop them.

Rolling Eyes

No climate change policy would've prevented, mitigated or minimized these fires. Better prevention measures may have. That's it.

Interesting when you hear all the noise about Morrison should and shouldn't have done, to take a peak at the Constitution.

https://www.aph.gov.au/~/media/05%20About%20Parliament/52%20Sen/523%20PPP/2012_Australian_Constitution.pdf

Part of a section in the forward to this version.

Quote:
Commonwealth Legislative Powers
The Constitution confers the power to make laws on the Commonwealth Parliament. However, the power of the
Commonwealth Parliament to make laws is limited to particular subjects. Most of these subjects are listed in sections 51
and 52. They include defence; external affairs; interstate and international trade; taxation; foreign, trading and financial
corporations; marriage and divorce; immigration; bankruptcy; and interstate industrial conciliation and arbitration.
This list of powers given to the Commonwealth Parliament does not expressly refer to a number of important subjects
including education, the environment, criminal law, and roads – but this does not mean that those subjects are wholly
outside the Parliament’s powers.
For example, even though the Commonwealth Parliament has no specific power in
relation to the environment, it can, under its external affairs power, prohibit the construction of a dam by a State if that is
necessary to give effect to an international agreement on the environment. The legislative powers of the Commonwealth
Parliament can also be expanded by the Parliaments of the States referring matters to the Commonwealth Parliament
under section 51(xxxvii).

So essentially, the environment is the responsibility of the states, as is the management of land, water (the commonwealth is expressly forbidden from messing with states water although apparently it could stop a dam being built), production of energy etc. Fighting Bushfires is also a State responsibility

So, essentially, any federal climate policy would seem to be largely symbolic.

The way I read it, if we've signed up to the Paris Accord to restrict CO2, the Federal Government could potentially prevent a state from building a new coal fired power station but couldn't make them use more renewables

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:38 pm

I think it goes without saying that any national climate response would require the federal government working in concert with the states. But the federal government has to co-ordinate that or else it’ll just be a piecemeal approach (as is arguably the case right now).
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:24 pm

^

But the point was, that only works if the states all agree to it. The feds could create a great plan and the states that are a different colour can say "Far Kew, we'll do it our way"

See Howard and Gun Control, and even that's an example how its drifted off to each state tweaking the rules as they say fit, which is their right.

The Murray Darling plan is a stinker, that needed all the effected states to sign up to and hindsight would suggest that all the compromises to get everyone to agree phucked it before it started

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:26 pm

think positive wrote:

Ya know, I thought of the Taco's comparison too. Laughing

But that's way too much common sense

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:04 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

But the point was, that only works if the states all agree to it. The feds could create a great plan and the states that are a different colour can say "Far Kew, we'll do it our way"

See Howard and Gun Control, and even that's an example how its drifted off to each state tweaking the rules as they say fit, which is their right.

The Murray Darling plan is a stinker, that needed all the effected states to sign up to and hindsight would suggest that all the compromises to get everyone to agree phucked it before it started

I think it’s all about negotiation, ultimately. Some states (WA, for instance) may need extra compensation in order to get on board, but where there’s a will, there’s a way.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Fair enough, no reason why we shouldn't try to get one, but having one or not would've made zero difference to the bushfires and people hyperventilating over Morrison's failure to have a climate policy clearly have NFI
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:58 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

Ya know, I thought of the Taco's comparison too. Laughing

But that's way too much common sense

Hehe cute kid but Trejo has an, um, unforgettable face!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:17 pm

I love Danny Trejo

Had it all gifted to him of course, wealthy parents, Ivy league college etc NOT.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001803/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I love Danny Trejo

Had it all gifted to him of course, wealthy parents, Ivy league college etc NOT.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001803/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Razz Laughing

His life story is unreal, was it a book or movie? I think it’s a movie, a doco kind? Really good watch

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:19 pm

Wokko wrote:

No climate change policy would've prevented, mitigated or minimized these fires. Better prevention measures may have. That's it.

Err, minimizing climate change IS a prevention measure.

Whether politicians have the will and vision to formulate and abide by a non-partisan workable global warming reduction plan is another thing.

Bushfires and rising sea levels aside, I just don't understand why everyone would not want to see a reduction in global warming. Less reliance on fossil fuels, which are going to run out eventually anyway. Less economic reliance on oil-producing nations. Cleaner air for all living species. Less drought and improved food production ability, (which will become an issue as the human population continues to soar).

I just don't get it and question whether those who can't be bothered worrying about climate change are the ones who live in cities and large regional towns where everything they desire for their comfortable "lifestyle" is at their finger-tips and they are immune to the stark reality of it all.

Try living in a rural area, where the winds howl nearly every day, be it summer or winter, where your water tanks are empty, where you see livestock and wild-life suffering from lack of food and water, where trees are continually dropping all around you, where temperatures soar to unprecedented levels.

I can't convey how disillusioned I am with the selfishness and self-absorption of much of the human species.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:25 pm

stui magpie wrote:
but having one or not would've made zero difference to the bushfires and people hyperventilating over Morrison's failure to have a climate policy clearly have NFI

Just shaking my head here, stui. Are you actually serious or is your brain capacity taken up mundane, irrelevant, trite matters like Danny Trejo, whoever the f**k he is.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:38 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
but having one or not would've made zero difference to the bushfires and people hyperventilating over Morrison's failure to have a climate policy clearly have NFI

Just shaking my head here, stui. Are you actually serious or is your brain capacity taken up mundane, irrelevant, trite matters like Danny Trejo, whoever the f**k he is.

I'm serious. It's completely clear.

We could have the best climate policy in the world, it would have zero impact on the CO2 being produced by China, India and the USA, therefore zero impact on the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere and therefore zero impact on ther bushfires.

Now that's not suggesting we ignore CO2 emissions, we do need to do something about it and we are, whether Morrison has a policy or not.

Australia is leading the world in building new renewable energy generation, the states are moving from coal fired power to renewables quite quickly
https://theconversation.com/australia-is-the-runaway-global-leader-in-building-new-renewable-energy-123694

which is actually causing issues with the electricity grid as it wasn't designed for Solar. I agree completely we should work to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, but lets be realistic, it's going to take time.

As far as city vs country goes, I grew up in the NSW bush on the Murray and have a place that I go to frequently, so I am quite familiar with the environment you describe, it's been that way as long as I can remember going back more than 50 years. The majority of the Climate Change Shriekers are inner city suburban types who's only experience of the environment is over the internet while they're in their airconditioned homes.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Now that's not suggesting we ignore CO2 emissions, we do need to do something about it and we are, whether Morrison has a policy or not.

Australia is leading the world in building new renewable energy generation, the states are moving from coal fired power to renewables quite quickly
https://theconversation.com/australia-is-the-runaway-global-leader-in-building-new-renewable-energy-123694

which is actually causing issues with the electricity grid as it wasn't designed for Solar. I agree completely we should work to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, but lets be realistic, it's going to take time.

Can't argue with any of this stui. Yes, real change takes time, but I believe we have no choice but to commit to it. It may be even too late for the planet, but not doing anything will only hasten its demise. There's even an outside chance as I've mentioned, that the world could become a better place for all its inhabitants.

Quote:
As far as city vs country goes, I grew up in the NSW bush on the Murray and have a place that I go to frequently, so I am quite familiar with the environment you describe, it's been that way as long as I can remember going back more than 50 years.

Not suggesting that your perception is inaccurate, but if you actually lived in that environment, season in and season out, all year round, for all of those 50plus years right up until the present, it's likely that you would notice some differences, especially in recent years. I've lived in rural settings for 66 plus years and I have no doubt that conditions are changing- for the worse.

Quote:
The majority of the Climate Change Shriekers are inner city suburban types who's only experience of the environment is over the internet while they're in their airconditioned homes.

Personally, I have little knowledge of "Climate Change Shriekers". Not an intentional thing and regrettable, but I don't have a helluva lot of spare time to be across everything. I'm too busy trying to ensure my own survival and that of my animals Smile especially during summer.
So I'll take your word for it, in which case I have little respect for them. To really understand any situation (mental illness, poverty, disability, bushfires, drought etc), a person needs to fully experience it and live it.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:58 pm

All good, the irony is that in geological time we're about due for another ice age or glacial period which would actually be more devastating to the Northern Hemisphere in particular than global warming, but global warming is likely to delay it.

This article is 10 years old from MIT that suggests a new ice age in as little as 2000 years. https://www.technologyreview.com/s/416786/global-warming-vs-the-next-ice-age/

Now there's other articles that suggest it may well be delayed for another 50,000 years, but I can't spot any that i'd consider reputable.

Anyway, it's just a reminder that there are things utterly outside of our control that impact our climate and have done for millions of years

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9   

Jump to: