Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Boxing Day Test. Australia v. New Zealand.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

But gets him caught at mid on. Boult isn’t going to bat, so Australia wins.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:45 pm

All over. Marnus Labuschagne took the last wicket.

Australia won by 247 runs.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Blundell scored 121. Lyon 4/81.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:51 pm

So, NZ got nearly halfway, which isn’t bad for a team without Smith in it. For mine, Bradsmith won that Test with his gritty display in the first dig. He broke the NZ resistance before they even got into the game.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:29 pm

Brilliant effort by Blundell. He made the most of another DRS howler by Paine - Starc had Blundell lbw facing only his second ball of the innings. Australia didn’t review the not out and The Very Temporary Captain may have cost the team a chance to bundle NZ out before Tea.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Donny wrote:
KenH wrote:
Donny wrote:
What's with the moronic chanting in the crowd ??

The Poms are NOT playing in this Test.

Please be respectful don't call them the Poms! Wink

They don't have a team name, Ken. So, it's Poms. Very Happy

Fair enough! But I think Bloody Poms is better?

K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:00 pm

Travis Head was Player of the Match.

Pies4shaw wrote:
...won that Test with his gritty display in the first dig. He broke the NZ resistance before they even got into the game.

You are sounding the way you sound when you blame everyone but Grundy for Collingwood's failure to get hit outs to advantage or win clearances. (Which is not to make any comment on Grundy's ruck-work. Footy is complicated to judge. It's not just one person playing in isolation, like a batsman.)

If struggling to score but soaking up balls is so great when you're trying to win a match, Oz should ask NZ if they can borrow Raval to bat in place of Burns. If it's an opener, you can at least come up with reasons why it's "good". The only way it works in the middle order is if the zombie batsman's batting partner scores freely, but then the batting partner deserves as much credit. Otherwise you're just wasting easy batting conditions until the new ball arrives. And when the new ball arrives, it's largely a matter of luck how much it moves. (In this match, Oz were lucky it did much less than the first new ball.)

Head and Paine deserve the credit in this match. (An unfortunate dismissal in the second innings for Head, though.) Head, the Player of the Match, has said he was helped in his century by Paine's batting. I don't know how the two batsmen above them can struggle so much with "short" balls that are barely above waist height. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. Probably cry.

Pies4shaw wrote:
... Australia didn’t review the not out and The Very Temporary Captain may have cost the team a chance to bundle NZ out before Tea.

The DRS thing deserves its own thread (I guess I'll start one), and Paine has a very poor record on reviews, but this was not his fault or decision. It was Lyon's. And you should be grateful Paine was around to captain the side in a time of crisis caused by other people who are emotionally stunted. (In a time of atrocious wicketkeeping, he's also one of the better ones, though his keeping in England was disappointing.)

Repeat, in case anyone missed it...

K wrote:
Peter Siddle has announced his retirement from international cricket.

But judging by the silence I guess no one here gives a stuff about Sids any more. Wink
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:59 am

Happily, Paine can give credit where it's due:

Tim Paine: "Very pleasing. I thought the way we went about this Test from the moment we lost the toss was outstanding. I thought our batters applied themselves superbly on day one and made it easy for Trav and I on the second day to set up a big total. Then I thought our bowlers led by Pat Cummins in the first innings were superb. Got the lead we wanted and gave our bowlers a rest and again I thought James Pattinson started the rot today. We're sharing the load. We can't rely on too few and good teams have guys contributing throughout the list and we're starting to do that. It was a great surface. Guys who batted well could score runs and the bowlers who bowled well were hard work."

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/19237/game/1183533/australia-vs-new-zealand-2nd-test-new-zealand-in-australia-2019-20

He probably thinks Grundy can ruck, too.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Of course Paine will back his players. That's what a real captain does. Unlike some people, he won't throw players like Maxwell under the bus. He's not going to say:

"Some of our batters can't play balls just above their hips. It looks like their defective techniques have been exposed."

He's a North supporter, I think, so at best he may think highly of R. Shaw's coaching.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:28 pm

He wasn't "backing his players". He was just stating the obvious.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:37 pm

That partnership just wasted the easier batting conditions until the new ball arrived. Fortunately for Oz, the second new ball swung only 1.4 degrees.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:33 pm

Langer on Paine:

“His last game – you judge on his last performance – he was probably pushing to be man of the match. He had eight dismissals, 70-odd with the bat and the way he played his innings was what was most exciting.”
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:35 pm

The Coach backing the Captain (however temporary), as you’d hope.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:39 pm

Langer believes in talking up all his players. He's a bit New Age...

Like in the Ashes when he said Smith never gets out in the nets. Wow! Trent Copeland was asked about this, and he said no batsmen ever get out in the nets unless they are experimenting.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:58 pm

Mark Taylor:

Much more to come from Paine after exceeding expectations

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/much-more-to-come-from-paine-after-exceeding-expectations-20200102-p53oc6.html

"He was 33 at the time and the demands of being captain, as well as wicketkeeper, are immense. I thought if Paine played for two more years, it would be an excellent effort.

Here we are in the first week of 2020 and we can safely say, barring injury, we will get a lot more out of him.

There is a toughness and calmness to the way he goes about the job. He is very measured, which is reflected in his, and the team's, play. He can control his emotions and masks his disappointments on the field.*

Paine may be 35 but his form is not a concern after an important 79 and eight dismissals in the Boxing Day Test. There are no major elements of his leadership we can be critical of, which is rare given the scrutiny that comes with the post.

He will be in no rush to head into the sunset after his team's recent performances. After the difficulties of 2018, why would he want to?

Paine's schedule should be quite relaxed this year, with only two Tests in Bangladesh, but next summer will be full on."

* Unlike his predecessor.

[I see Paine's batting average is currently higher than Wade's (barely higher than Wade's overall average and comfortably higher than Wade's average while keeping).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: