Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Where does all the money go?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:31 pm
Post subject: Where does all the money go?Reply with quote

Notice of Appeal by Fortescue Metals Group Ltd in the matter of Fortescue Metals Group v
Warrie (on behalf of the Yindjibarndi People)

Fortescue Metals Group Ltd (ASX:FMG) has today lodged an application for special leave to appeal
the decision of the Full Federal Court in the above matter given on 18 October 2019.
Fortescue reconfirms its earlier advice that the decision of the Full Federal Court has no impact on
its current or future operations or mining tenure at the Solomon Hub, and the Company does not
anticipate any material financial impact to the business as a result of the decision of the Full Federal
Court.

This is the decision FMG are appealing....

There are press reports of Morgan Stanley having calculated that:

based on a 0.5% royalty, FMG could be forced to pay $US84 million in back-payments and $US15 million a year going forward; and
in its worst-case scenario of a possible, but unlikely, 5% royalty, FMG could be liable for back-payments of $US840 million and an ongoing annual royalty of $US150 million.

The question arises whether there is any basis in law for thinking that resource companies could be found liable to pay these sorts of amounts in compensation for the impairment of exclusive native title rights and interests caused by their resource projects.

In Timber Creek, Justice Mansfield had awarded the native title holders $3,300,261 in compensation, comprising:

$512,000 for the economic value of their extinguished native title rights (being 80% of the total freehold market value of the affected lots, with the discount being attributed to the fact that the grant in 1882 of Pastoral Lease 366 had partially extinguished native title in relation to Timber Creek, leaving only non-exclusive native title rights and interests in place);
$1,488,261 in simple interest on this sum (there being no basis on which to justify an award of compound interest); and
$1,300,000 for non-economic/intangible loss or solatium (being additional compensation awarded to the native title holders for the loss, they had sustained, and the "intangible disadvantages" they had experienced, because of the extinguishment and impairment of their native title).

https://www.claytonutz.com/knowledge/2017/august/exclusive-native-title-extinguishment-and-compensation-lessons-from-the-yindjibarndi-decision-and-the-timber-creek-appeal

There are thousands of these compensation payments made by mining companies and continual royalty payments.... where do these Billlions and billions of dollars go?
I know Sandfire Resources pay the local mob (a few 100 people) $12 million annually, as well as build houses in Meekatharra and supply vehicles, employment opportunities and financial assistance to remote communities.

It would be $10's of billions paid every year.... yet all we ever hear is how under resourced Aboriginals are Confused

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter? If they're legally entitled to it, then surely they don't need to justify what they're going to do with it (just as Fortescue wouldn't feel a need to justify to the public what they do with their profits, which is probably lucky for them because I doubt the answer is very reassuring). But all I can say is that many of these communities don't have a lot of resources to begin with, so I expect the money is much needed (and probably doesn't go as far as you may think).
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:20 pm

^

I think the point is more how much of the money the Aboriginals are actually getting, not what they're doing with what they get

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:53 pm

It’s just more cheap point-scoring. Let’s assume, for argument’s sake that it amounts to $100 billion a year. Then, divide that by the approximately 800,000 people who are indigenous.

By my calculation, that’s the princely sum of $12,500 per year, per person.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:15 pm

Your calculations demonstrate why you took up law, not accounting.

The money isn't spread over every Indigenous person in Australia, just those local to the mine, those whose lands the mine is on.

And you assume it's cheap points scoring. I read it differently.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:27 pm

By the way, Skids, much of your post is a garbled mush-mash of a note by Clayton Utz written a couple of years ago about the first instance decision in this case and some other decisions of the Federal Court. First, the source of your post should be identified (so we can ascertain who is regurgitating Clayton Utz’s article without attribution). Secondly, it is all overtaken by a unanimous decision of a Full Federal Court sitting as a bench of 5 judges. It will be interesting to see what comes of the special leave application and, in particular, whether FMG can find some lawyers who can think of some better points to run. At the moment, FMG is losing about 12:0 (the reason the Court was sitting as a bench of 5 was because FMG’s argument invited the Court to reconsider the correctness of certain prior Full (3 judge) Federal Court decisions), so I don’t like their odds. If you’re backing FMG, you’ll want about 275:1.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:

The money isn't spread over every Indigenous person in Australia, just those local to the mine, those whose lands the mine is on.

That is beneath you, Stui. This compensation claim is trivial, in light of Skids’ rather dramatic claim - which was that there would be 10s of billions of dollars of compensation paid under similar rulings. The logic of his post was directed at all indigenous people, (“all we hear is how under resourced aboriginals are”), not at the people who might benefit from compensation in this case. Skids wasn’t talking about this mine, he was generalising (as usual, without any plausible basis in reason) to the wider indigenous population. It was cheap point scoring. It was, moreover, despicable and should be condemned in the strongest possible terms.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:08 pm

I disagree but I'm also assuming so I'll let him defend himself.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:14 pm

I think you give him too much credit.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 pm

I think you and David are suffering from the Halo effect based on other posts and topics, but as I said, I'll let him defend himself.

My view is based on someone who has Indigenous inlaws and has worked in remote Indigenous communities rather than read about them in the Guardian.

In my mind, the question is legitimate. If the mining companies are supposedly paying all this money to the traditional landholders in remote communities, where is it going? Why are they living in 3rd world conditions?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:02 pm

do they get a lump sum? or a weekly allowance? easy to piss it away if its an allowance. hubbies sister and BIL work in social security, amazing how fast people go through a dole cheque.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

That is beneath you, Stui. This compensation claim is trivial, in light of Skids’ rather dramatic claim - which was that there would be 10s of billions of dollars of compensation paid under similar rulings. The logic of his post was directed at all indigenous people, (“all we hear is how under resourced aboriginals are”), not at the people who might benefit from compensation in this case. Skids wasn’t talking about this mine, he was generalising (as usual, without any plausible basis in reason) to the wider indigenous population. It was cheap point scoring. It was, moreover, despicable and should be condemned in the strongest possible terms.

You're a dead set clown.

I'm just wondering where, the billions and billions of dollars in royalties go every year.
Do you have any idea how many mines there are, paying royalties to local mobs? I doubt you do.
I've grown up with aboriginals, worked with them, trained dozens of apprentices, worked in communities, pulled over on Gt Northern Hwy in the middle of nowhere to help koodahs change tyres and give them lifts when stranded... my nephews are all black fellas, ss is my sister in-law.

I'm asking the question because I believe the funds are being misappropriated. With the amount of money being poured in to aboriginal funds, there should be NO people's living in poverty.

You sit on your high horse and dictate as if you are an expert on every issue that arises, a total flog at times... although I do agree with you a bit on Langdon Wink

You state your 'princely sum' but that doesn't include additional payments by social security and other resources.... and, you're assuming NONE have a legitimate income from employment, aren't you.

Last edited by Skids on Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:23 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I think you and David are suffering from the Halo effect based on other posts and topics, but as I said, I'll let him defend himself.

My view is based on someone who has Indigenous inlaws and has worked in remote Indigenous communities rather than read about them in the Guardian.

In my mind, the question is legitimate. If the mining companies are supposedly paying all this money to the traditional landholders in remote communities, where is it going? Why are they living in 3rd world conditions?

That's too rational mate, of course, I have ulterior motives, just ask the guru P4S, he knows everything.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 pm

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:02 pm

David wrote:
Does it matter? If they're legally entitled to it, then surely they don't need to justify what they're going to do with it (just as Fortescue wouldn't feel a need to justify to the public what they do with their profits, which is probably lucky for them because I doubt the answer is very reassuring). But all I can say is that many of these communities don't have a lot of resources to begin with, so I expect the money is much needed (and probably doesn't go as far as you may think).

Really?!... are you serious?!

If it wasn't for iron ore... where do you think Australia would be?

The profits are paid to shareholders and there are quarterly announcements to the ASX to confirm operating costs and profits.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: