Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the best new car to buy for up to $35K

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm up next. We need a car, and are happy to go secondhand so long as it's not going to break down on us within 2 years. Not sure exactly how much I have to spend, but I'll offer a rough hint: divide WPT's target by ten, and then maybe take another $1000 off... Razz
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:44 pm

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Ended up buying a Hyundai Tucson Active x Diesel ...

Wow, that was quick. Shocked

We liked what we tested. Our oldest has the same car but in petrol (work provided) and Mrs WPT liked that. At the same time the salary packaging guy said it was a great price for the car being a super-ceded 2019 model

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:45 pm

David wrote:
Okay, I'm up next. We need a car, and are happy to go secondhand so long as it's not going to break down on us within 2 years. Not sure exactly how much I have to spend, but I'll offer a rough hint: divide WPT's target by ten, and then maybe take another $1000 off... Razz

Ours is being salary packaged and we have been in the workforce for a long time

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:08 pm

My 2 cents. Don’t buy a new car without first checking out John Cadogan’s Youtube channel to see what he says about the maker and the model. Brutal reviews that can go to the point of defamation, and clear beyond (check out his reviews of the Volkswagen ‘dieselgate’ scandal, and the thousands of unsaleable shitbox Commodores parked in Aus).

Even if you don’t agree with him, at least you’re getting an independent view (which you won’t get through car reviews in mainstream newspapers, car magazines and most other Youtube channels).

Be warned he wears silly T-shirts and occasionally has telephone conversations through a glass dildo.

John Cadogan’s ‘2019 Hyundai Tucson pricing & specifications. (Should you buy one?)’ : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdpVLN-0TmE

Seems you got a good one in the Tucson, WTP (but you are aware aren’t you that the upholstery is sewn in Gaza).
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:13 pm

I actually looked at that youtube review.

Islamic Jihad (Iran) reap what they sew. Smile

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:13 pm

David wrote:

You want safe, reliable and aren't too fussed at power?

This site is great to get an idea of value so if you find a car you can check if the asking price is fair https://www.redbook.com.au/

Try Gumtree and Carsales.com.au to find a car

My daughter bought a Kia Rio new about 7 years ago, hasn't had a problem with it despite the bonnet only being opened when it goes in for a service and she's ticked off lots of KM's city driving. They don't seem to have a great resale value but i put that down to cheap finishes rather than reliability

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:25 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Ours is being salary packaged

How does that work? We are looking at buying a new car too and lots of people have said we should do that - got no clues!

We currently have a Forrester which has been fantastic but don't like the new model as its too big. Would like to get another Subaru have forgotten what himself wants - but I definately want a manual. Can you salary package any car? As I said no clues have I Embarassed
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:36 pm

Morrigu wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Ours is being salary packaged

How does that work? We are looking at buying a new car too and lots of people have said we should do that - got no clues!

We currently have a Forrester which has been fantastic but don't like the new model as its too big. Would like to get another Subaru have forgotten what himself wants - but I definately want a manual. Can you salary package any car? As I said no clues have I Embarassed

Any new car, most newish 2nd hand ones.

It's a novated lease through a finance company. You pick a car, they work out an annual figure including paying for the car, fule, rego, maintenance etc etc and you pay it fortnightly out of your pay, some pre tax some post tax.

Maxxia is your employers Salary packaging provider, check here https://www.maxxia.com.au/my-hub/western

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:47 pm

^ Thanks for that!

Looks too hard for me ( I get bored easily) - think we will just buy one.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:19 pm

^

Give them a call. If you drive the car a bit, it's worth it. Money comes out of your pay and you don't need to pay for anything car related for the life of the lease.

If you're planning on retiring in the next 12 months buying may be better, but a 3 year lease gets you a cheap car at the end.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:32 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ Thanks for that!

Looks too hard for me ( I get bored easily) - think we will just buy one.

I left it for years. However saw lots of people I know and others use it who are happy with it. In overall terms it reduces ur taxable income and one is saving tax on purchase and ongoing running costs.

A fortnightly amount is deducted from ur pre tax salary

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:20 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Ended up buying a Hyundai Tucson Active x Diesel (2019 Run Out model - saving a good few grand). Skoda were good but their options were too expensive in the end. Adding a tow bar (for bike racks mostly) and paint protection.

A dark grey model. In my view drove better than the Skoda, Mrs WPT preferred sitting higher, thought it drove better, had better screen / tech details & better for her to get in and out of 😀😃

Partners budget for the car was $40K so a bit more to spend.

We are happy with the Skoda only wish we had the auto open/close boot but time constraints meant we had to take what was available. If budget had allowed we would have got another Passat.

Also has an option where you an program each 'key' with the drivers particular seat setting - has come in handy as partner is teaching the red headed chick to drive, she has her own key so doesn't have to worry about adjusting the seat each time she gets in the car.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Dark Beanie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Ended up buying a Hyundai Tucson Active x Diesel (2019 Run Out model - saving a good few grand). Skoda were good but their options were too expensive in the end. Adding a tow bar (for bike racks mostly) and paint protection.

A dark grey model. In my view drove better than the Skoda, Mrs WPT preferred sitting higher, thought it drove better, had better screen / tech details & better for her to get in and out of 😀😃

Partners budget for the car was $40K so a bit more to spend.

We are happy with the Skoda only wish we had the auto open/close boot but time constraints meant we had to take what was available. If budget had allowed we would have got another Passat.

Also has an option where you an program each 'key' with the drivers particular seat setting - has come in handy as partner is teaching the red headed chick to drive, she has her own key so doesn't have to worry about adjusting the seat each time she gets in the car.

Thanks for that. We couldn’t afford the $40k in terms of the outright purchase price in 3 years time if we want that as an option. We were under $35 but will go over with: tow bar and paint protection. Both are “nice cars” Mrs WPT’s hips and knees like the higher car!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:34 pm

So, now that’s done, wpt, which Lamborghini will you be buying with the money you’ve saved? I think Prince Albert of Monaco still drives his 1967 Marzal, so that’s a reliable-enough model.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:14 pm

David wrote:

this will go quick, i reckon they would take $2,500 REGO til feb, comes with a RWC. DO NOT BUY A CHEAP CAR WITHOUT A RWC!!!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-albans/cars-vans-utes/mazda-323-2000-blue-great-condition-with-rwc/1233875962

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/registration/buy-sell-or-transfer-a-vehicle/check-vehicle-registration/vehicle-registration-enquiry

another nearer to you

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bentleigh-east/cars-vans-utes/1999-ford-fiesta-auto-rwc-rego-very-tidy-/1231504872

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bentleigh-east/cars-vans-utes/1999-ford-fiesta-auto-rwc-rego-very-tidy-/1231504872

Last edited by think positive on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: