Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the best new car to buy for up to $35K

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:29 pm
Post subject: What's the best new car to buy for up to $35KReply with quote

We're thinking about getting a new car through work salary packaging for up to $30-$35,000

Looking at:

1. Hyundai Tuscon

2. Skoda Octavia wagon

3. Skoda Karoq

4. Ford Mondeo

What would do you suggest?

Can go cheaper but not more really.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Tucson, not Tuscon, as in the US city in Arizona

What are you looking for in a car apart from cheap?

Seating?
Carrying capacity?
Towing?

I'm intrigued you're looking at Skoda. No Kia in the list?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:16 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It's Tucson, not Tuscon, as in the US city in Arizona

What are you looking for in a car apart from cheap?

Seating?
Carrying capacity?
Towing?

I'm intrigued you're looking at Skoda. No Kia in the list?

We've just started. Don't really need towing (the dead bodies should fit in a good sized boot) standard passager seating but need some room for boxes and gardening supplies and a bit of comfort. Looking at resale in about 4 years too.

Liked the Skoda when we test drove them this arvo I must say (base grade models with the extras) also not averse to 2018 models.

My daughter has a "Tucson" second model up not bad at all but can be a bit tinny. Don't like the Mazda CX5.

Fuel efficiency, driveability, and gadgety such as apple car play etc are important features size of screen etc.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:14 am

Hang on, if you're looking at getting it through salary packaging that would be a novated lease, not a purchase?
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:49 am

We have a Skoda Octavia wagon as part of partners salary package.

Prior to this car we had a VW Passat wagon but the new model Passat was too expensive so got the Skoda. The Passat was the 1st wagon we have had and got used to having space of the wagon and ease of putting stuff on the back.

Partners sister and brother-in-law both have Skoda's and very happy so he decided to have a look. Also looked at Masda 6 and Commodore and the Karoq.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:39 am

stui magpie wrote:
Hang on, if you're looking at getting it through salary packaging that would be a novated lease, not a purchase?

Correct weight: although they’re offering 1.9% for a car loan but too much for us.

The only way we could afford without taking out a loan for a “new”ish car is through novated leasing .... at that price.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:41 am

Dark Beanie wrote:
We have a Skoda Octavia wagon as part of partners salary package.

Prior to this car we had a VW Passat wagon but the new model Passat was too expensive so got the Skoda. The Passat was the 1st wagon we have had and got used to having space of the wagon and ease of putting stuff on the back.

Partners sister and brother-in-law both have Skoda's and very happy so he decided to have a look. Also looked at Masda 6 and Commodore and the Karoq.

Are you happy with your choice? Any drawbacks? And if I may ask which packs did u choose (if any) ?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:50 pm

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Correct weight: although they’re offering 1.9% for a car loan but too much for us.

The only way we could afford without taking out a loan for a “new”ish car is through novated leasing .... at that price.

OK, so you understand that at the end of the novation period, there's a residual amount left owing on the original purchase price. You can choose to pay that and own the car outright, which you can then sell for a profit if you choose, or let the lease company sell it to cover the residual and they keep any profit.

So basically, apart from the other considerations, check out the second hand market and pick something that retains value.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:21 pm

I was seriously considering the Skoda Octavia when I was buying. I ended up going with a Peugeot 308 wagon because I found a really good one 2nd hand but was very close to pulling the trigger on a Skoda. FWIW the Peugeot is amazing.

They might've improved but I hated the Mondeo when I drove it
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:16 pm

A base model Subaru Forester might suit you, although the yearly service costs might be a deal breaker, I only got 80K before having to replace the front CV shafts on the 2015 model.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks everyone for ur suggestions, keep them coming as we haven’t quite decided yet. I was thinking about a Peugot today funnily enough, the Subaru servicing costs are too much I reckon so I didn’t factor them in.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:15 pm

^

The servicing costs are rolled into the lease, as is registration, tyres and insurance

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:23 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

The servicing costs are rolled into the lease, as is registration, tyres and insurance

Cheers, just wanna keep the lease amount down as well.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Ended up buying a Hyundai Tucson Active x Diesel (2019 Run Out model - saving a good few grand). Skoda were good but their options were too expensive in the end. Adding a tow bar (for bike racks mostly) and paint protection.

A dark grey model. In my view drove better than the Skoda, Mrs WPT preferred sitting higher, thought it drove better, had better screen / tech details & better for her to get in and out of 😀😃

K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:35 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Ended up buying a Hyundai Tucson Active x Diesel ...

Wow, that was quick. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: