Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL has screwed us with the 2020 draw

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jpies 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the draw is pretty fair. Out of the 2019 top 6, West Coast have a significantly harder draw than anyone else in the competition. The only team that got off lightly (when I compare the draw against what I expect their 2020 form to be) is Brisbane.

We have two consecutive 6 day breaks, same as many other clubs, but less than West Coast and Essendon who both have 4 (and frankly, a right to be annoyed about it).

I'm mainly happy about avoiding playing GWS and Geelong twice. I'd guess that we will be competing for a top 4 spot against both sides, and I don't think we match up particularly well against either. Presuming a fit list, I'd give us a better chance against Richmond than either of those sides.

Also, us and Richmond have the most prime time games apparently. Can't argue with that. Bring on 2020!
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:55 pm

If I remember correctly our record coming off 6 day breaks this year was superior to any other length of break we had...
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:28 pm

think positive wrote:
They use us to make money, if they cared about our success, the last 2 season we would have got equal umpiring in the last 5 min. We didn’t.
Did we play well enough to win the prelim, no, but you know what, neither did GWS, Friday night danger takes the dive of the century, and get a 50 to the goal square, Grundy get pushed flat in the back near the goal square, no free. They treat us like shit, because they know we will keep showing up.

The bulldogs didn’t just get 18 extra free kicks in a grand final, they got 250 for the season! They wanted GWS in the grand final, I said the week before unless we are five goals up at three quarter time we won’t be allowed to win. Check back, I wrote it here. There were frees they could have, and should have paid, but they chose not to. Yes I believe that. When I coached I always told my kids you have to be far enough in front to make sure the mother of all umpire decisions doesn’t kill you, and any other team that horrible night, they would have been saying, wow look at this comeback, and damn they almost made it how brave, but nope, we didn’t turn up and GWS. Were 5 point heroes. Nope I’m not over it. Or Wayne Harmes, or the $650,000 lions win, or bill Dellar not hearing the $�$%^%%$ siren!

If you are referring to the night grand final in 1978 when Kerry Good kicked a goal for North by playing on after the final siren, that was umpire Robinson, not Bill Deller.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:05 pm

Cam wrote:
If I remember correctly our record coming off 6 day breaks this year was superior to any other length of break we had...

This year is a blur, I can't remember much! I'm thinking more of injury management. And we will have an injury crisis mid-season again, mark my words. This is the New Collingwood. Trying to manage soft-tissue injuries at the pointy end of the season, with 6 day breaks and WA travel twice in a month... tough ask.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:17 pm

Lazza wrote:
think positive wrote:
They use us to make money, if they cared about our success, the last 2 season we would have got equal umpiring in the last 5 min. We didn’t.
Did we play well enough to win the prelim, no, but you know what, neither did GWS, Friday night danger takes the dive of the century, and get a 50 to the goal square, Grundy get pushed flat in the back near the goal square, no free. They treat us like shit, because they know we will keep showing up.

The bulldogs didn’t just get 18 extra free kicks in a grand final, they got 250 for the season! They wanted GWS in the grand final, I said the week before unless we are five goals up at three quarter time we won’t be allowed to win. Check back, I wrote it here. There were frees they could have, and should have paid, but they chose not to. Yes I believe that. When I coached I always told my kids you have to be far enough in front to make sure the mother of all umpire decisions doesn’t kill you, and any other team that horrible night, they would have been saying, wow look at this comeback, and damn they almost made it how brave, but nope, we didn’t turn up and GWS. Were 5 point heroes. Nope I’m not over it. Or Wayne Harmes, or the $650,000 lions win, or bill Dellar not hearing the $�$%^%%$ siren!

If you are referring to the night grand final in 1978 when Kerry Good kicked a goal for North by playing on after the final siren, that was umpire Robinson, not Bill Deller.

wasnt dellar there that night? i remember his shop in Altona getting trashed after the game!

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:36 am

Will never be an even competition because of the greed of many.

This draw is bad. But it's bad for many teams, which is the AFLs way of saying it's even. Complete joke.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:13 pm

Lazza wrote:

Lazza, it was 1980 Sad

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:11 am

Was at Waverley 1980 and was Robinson
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:13 pm

neil wrote:
Was at Waverley 1980 and was Robinson

I stand corrected. Thanks

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Tough draw but we finished top 4 so you’d expect that. I don’t think it’s OTT unfair. Pissed off about the Swans in friggin’ Sidanee again.

Just hope we’re fit, firing and ready to go by Round 1. It would be nice to start the year with a win against the dish-lickers in round 1.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:33 am

think positive wrote:
They wanted GWS in the grand final, I said the week before unless we are five goals up at three quarter time we won’t be allowed to win. Check back, I wrote it here. There were frees they could have, and should have paid, but they chose not to. Yes I believe that!

What about the goal we got that wasn’t a goal

We played like crap for over half the game, that’s why we lost

I don’t doubt the AFL want GWS to be successful - that blew up in their faces - but a Pies v Tigers GF would have been huge for them too

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:52 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
think positive wrote:
They wanted GWS in the grand final, I said the week before unless we are five goals up at three quarter time we won’t be allowed to win. Check back, I wrote it here. There were frees they could have, and should have paid, but they chose not to. Yes I believe that!

What about the goal we got that wasn’t a goal

We played like crap for over half the game, that’s why we lost

I don’t doubt the AFL want GWS to be successful - that blew up in their faces - but a Pies v Tigers GF would have been huge for them too

Anyone who believes that the AFL doesn't use the many tools at its disposal to 'manipulate' the competition, is a silly little boy & needs to take a LHLAY.

I don't think the umpires are told "We want Freo to win by 24 today". It's not that simple, & its not necessary. If it ever came out the game would be fu**ked
They DO have preferences, outcomes they want, thats obvious. What isn't quite known is the lengths to which they'll go.

There ABSOLUTELY was an anti-Collingwood movement after WWII. And the huge equality push could only hurt the old, established sides.
However the more recent stuff, while rotten, is more casual & less organised, but if you want to look into stuff look at these two to start with
1. We never once played Gold Coast twice since the current system stated, also look at who we did play twice, not many cellar dwellers in there.
2. Have a look at how many last rounds, finals, & Grand finals we lost by 10 or less. Rather extraordinary (including 2 draws!), & SO many involved a very troubling umpire call, or six, or even not sounding the siren on time! Look at the records for other sides, that stuff isn't there! We simply DON'T win close GFs.

Up to the war we were THE dominant side, with a dozen flags & more wins by a mile. After the war, we had the SAME rate of GF's, just far less wins. If all was even we'd be on about 21 flags.

Seriously! Look!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:33 am

35forever wrote:
Anyone who believes that the AFL doesn't use the many tools at its disposal to 'manipulate' the competition...

No shit, Sherlock. The draw, the draft to name just 2. Will never change, especially while we have an 18 team 22 round comp.

35forever wrote:
I don't think the umpires are told "We want Freo to win by 24 today"

Yet many Pies supporters choose to believe that's the only way we could have lost certain games, which is what I commented on, and which you underlined with your finishing comments

35forever wrote:
They DO have preferences, outcomes they want, thats obvious

Duh

35forever wrote:

We never once played Gold Coast twice since the current system stated, also look at who we did play twice, not many cellar dwellers in there

Really? GCS are the basket case failures of the league. If we can't win a flag without playing them twice then we might as well give up

Why don't you look up who DID play them twice and see how many flags those teams won

35forever wrote:
Have a look at how many last rounds, finals, & Grand finals we lost by 10 or less. Rather extraordinary (including 2 draws!), & SO many involved a very troubling umpire call, or six, or even not sounding the siren on time!

"We wuz robbed by the umpires, right in front of me RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME"

Loser culture

derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm

We can turn a hard draw into a easier draw by staying fit and playing well.

And but not letting player making dumb off feild mistakes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: