Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The "Official Nick's BB" Trump Impeachment thread!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock knock!
Who's there?
The whistleblower!
The whistleblower who?
The whistle-blowers identity is protected by Law you moron!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoPT3Z6OSBY

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:12 pm

The live witness intimidation was something to behold. As I say, bring in the white coats.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:31 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Knock knock!
Who's there?
The whistleblower!
The whistleblower who?
The whistle-blowers identity is protected by Law!

Shame that actual whistleblowers like Manning and Snowden never received such protection from Democrats.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:34 pm

pietillidie wrote:
The live witness intimidation was something to behold. As I say, bring in the white coats.

Amazeballs. Has he gone too far (even Fox news suggest he's crossed the line). Keep it up Orangeman Very Happy Wink

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:47 am

David wrote:
Shame that actual whistleblowers like Manning and Snowden never received such protection from Democrats.

On a side note, have you been following the "Xinjiang Papers"? https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/16/world/asia/china-xinjiang-documents.html

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:52 am

David wrote:
3.14159 wrote:
Knock knock!
Who's there?
The whistleblower!
The whistleblower who?
The whistle-blowers identity is protected by Law!

Obama pardoned Manning and Snowden fled the country before he released his information so I'm not sure how much protection the Dems can provide in Moscow!
In a similar vein, If your mate Assange had faced up to the allegations against him he would have had a VERY strong case that what Wikileaks was doing was no different to what every major paper in World has done and if he was found guilty so were the heads of these media outlets.
But alas and alack, he took the cowards way out and holed himself up in a foreign embassy till he tried to do a Faustian deal (to save his own skin) with the Trump campaign (Trump is famous for welching on agreements) that has forever besmirched his reputation! No sympathy, no forgiveness!

https://www.thejournal.ie/manning-snowden-obama-3192213-Jan2017/
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:43 pm

^ Utter nonsense. The extradition case he is facing right now has been in the works since 2012, and probably would have been put together even sooner if they’d been able to get their hands on him in 2010. What’s more, he never should have had to "face up" to the allegations in the first place; he is not a US citizen and doesn’t fall into their jurisdiction. Even so, he did and does have a strong case, but none of that ever mattered a jot, because he’s facing a grand jury (which would, as Geoffrey Robertson puts it, "indict a ham sandwich"). It doesn’t matter what administration is in power in that scenario.

Snowden, too, could have faced "justice" under a Democratic administration, but he took the much more sensible route of fleeing the country and seeking asylum elsewhere. And while Obama did the right thing by pardoning Manning, it was only after she’d endured horrific conditions in prison and served 7 years of a 35 year sentence (she’s back in prison again now as a result of refusing to inform on Assange in front of the aforementioned grand jury, incidentally).

What’s most galling about all this is seeing nominal progressives lose their shit over Trump’s garden-variety political corruption (i.e. slightly more brazen and clumsy iterations of the same old backroom standover tactics, blackmail and foreign interference that have been a feature of American foreign policy since the end of the second world war) while shrugging at much more urgent whistleblowing: that is, exposure of corruption on a much wider and more systemic level, including war crimes, mass surveillance and multinational tax avoidance. To expose stuff like that from the inside (or, like Assange, by building impenetrable frameworks for classified information to be conveyed and published) takes incredible bravery and requires significant personal risk, and, in my view, such people are heroes. Anyone who genuinely cares about social progress – and realises that it requires a recalibration of power – should be able to recognise the urgency of that work, and the need to offer protection for such people. But I get the sense that many Democratic Party supporters have no interest in the bigger picture, and are content so long as their party and their guy wins.

Nothing could be a better representation of the individualisation of mainstream politics: Trump is a bad guy, so he – rather than the rot that he oversees – is seen as the problem, and removing him the ultimate solution. Meanwhile, the fact of the superpower he is in charge of intimidating and destroying the few brave enough to stand up to it is ignored (or even cheered on) because, again, Assange might not be such a nice guy, so **** him. It’s a shallow, impotent, cowardly politics, and one that, in my view, is thoroughly complicit in the crimes of empire.

Last edited by David on Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:04 pm

Why should you (or anyone) give a toss about the travails of one pasty-faced Australian when there are thousands of babies being killed in Yeman at the hands of Crown Prince MBS and over 16,000 soldiers murdered in Russias war with Ukraine?

Or is selective empathy the sole provence of the Greens?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:11 pm

You don’t get it, do you? Assange’s work has primarily revolved around exposing the lies that governments tell their citizens in order to make wars like that possible. The goal of extraditing and imprisoning Assange is not just to punish him in particular; it’s a message to anyone who would seek to expose US corruption to sit down, shut up and mind their own business, or else they’re next. That’s a huge victory for the war machine over the ordinary citizen. The fact that these global outrages are happening now is a symptom of that same power imbalance.

Speaking of the Greens, they have consistently spoken out against Saudi war crimes in Yemen. Do you know what your party’s policy is on Australia’s funding of that atrocity? Do you care?

https://newmatilda.com/2017/03/29/new-matilda-exclusive-alp-changes-stance-on-yemen-from-silence-to-waffly-garbage/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/05/australia-may-be-complicit-in-war-crimes-if-it-supports-saudi-led-coalition-in-yemen-un

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:27 pm

David wrote:
You don’t get it, do you?

No David it's you doesn't get it!

Why should someone like me have to put up with insulting pejorative phrases and veiled accusations of "moral hypocrisy" when you do exactly that every time the names Assange Trump and Putin are used in the one sentence?

"nominal progressives lose their shit over Trump’s garden-variety political corruption"?

...and for what it's worth Trump's "garden-style corruption" is on a scale unmatched in US political history!

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:02 pm

David wrote:
^ Utter nonsense. The extradition case he is facing right now has been in the works since 2012, and probably would have been put together even sooner if they’d been able to get their hands on him in 2010. What’s more, he never should have had to "face up" to the allegations in the first place; he is not a US citizen and doesn’t fall into their jurisdiction. Even so, he did and does have a strong case, but none of that ever mattered a jot, because he’s facing a grand jury (which would, as Geoffrey Robertson puts it, "indict a ham sandwich"). It doesn’t matter what administration is in power in that scenario.

Snowden, too, could have faced "justice" under a Democratic administration, but he took the much more sensible route of fleeing the country and seeking asylum elsewhere. And while Obama did the right thing by pardoning Manning, it was only after she’d endured horrific conditions in prison and served 7 years of a 35 year sentence (she’s back in prison again now as a result of refusing to inform on Assange in front of the aforementioned grand jury, incidentally).

What’s most galling about all this is seeing nominal progressives lose their shit over Trump’s garden-variety political corruption (i.e. slightly more brazen and clumsy iterations of the same old backroom standover tactics, blackmail and foreign interference that have been a feature of American foreign policy since the end of the second world war) while shrugging at much more urgent whistleblowing: that is, exposure of corruption on a much wider and more systemic level, including war crimes, mass surveillance and multinational tax avoidance. To expose stuff like that from the inside (or, like Assange, by building impenetrable frameworks for classified information to be conveyed and published) takes incredible bravery and requires significant personal risk, and, in my view, such people are heroes. Anyone who genuinely cares about social progress – and realises that it requires a recalibration of power – should be able to recognise the urgency of that work, and the need to offer protection for such people. But I get the sense that many Democratic Party supporters have no interest in the bigger picture, and are content so long as their party and their guy wins.

Nothing could be a better representation of the individualisation of mainstream politics: Trump is a bad guy, so he – rather than the rot that he oversees – is seen as the problem, and removing him the ultimate solution. Meanwhile, the fact of the superpower he is in charge of intimidating and destroying the few brave enough to stand up to it is ignored (or even cheered on) because, again, Assange might not be such a nice guy, so **** him. It’s a shallow, impotent, cowardly politics, and one that, in my view, is thoroughly complicit in the crimes of empire.

While you know I disagree with you on Manning, on every other point you couldn't be more right. The US government is an evil, corrupt mess and this whole impeach Trump thing is nothing more than a dog and pony show as well as payback towards an outsider who thought he could storm in and change things.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:03 pm

3.14159 wrote:
David wrote:
You don’t get it, do you?

No David it's you doesn't get it!

Why should someone like me have to put up with insulting pejorative phrases
and veiled accusations of "moral hypocrisy" when you do exactly that every time the names Assange Trump and Putin are used in the one sentence?

"nominal progressives lose their shit over Trump’s garden-variety political corruption"?

...and for what it's worth Trump's "garden-style corruption" is on a scale unmatched in 20-21 century western history!

I think you need to read more history then.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:06 pm

pietillidie wrote:
David wrote:

On a side note, have you been following the "Xinjiang Papers"? https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/16/world/asia/china-xinjiang-documents.html

Thanks PTID – horrifying stuff, but good to see that some of this info is getting out.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:11 pm

David wrote:

Really?
What do you recommend, and please don't let it be anything to do with Julian Assange cos I'm sick of you losing your shit (and giving me a lecture) every time that blokes name is mentioned!

What happened to the plight of the Yemeni babies?

I haven't heard you expand on that but I guess if you really cared you might mention Trump providing the weapons to Clown Pounce MBS and the anti-Iranian rhetoric) that keeps their plight bubbling along!

Last edited by 3.14159 on Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:13 pm

David wrote:

Agreed. Trump doesn't even come close to the personal enrichment and political corruption of pretty much every regime since Kennedy.

Orange man bad isn't just a meme, as you can see we even have those people right here at Nicks. Trump could cure cancer and they'd be railing about how evil he is for putting oncologists out of work.

I can't understand such abject hatred towards a foreign political leader. I mean I have nothing but contempt for Trudeau and Adern but I wouldn't even think about them other than when they pop up in the news. Donald Trump elicits such an amazing level of frothing anger and hatred from neoliberals and most of the hard left. I just don't understand it.

I mean, the US is chugging along quite nicely with him in charge, he's drawn down on the foreign wars, cut some taxes and regulations and put in a couple of milquetoast conservative justices. He's been a bit of a disappointment to those of us hoping for a big shakeup, he's way too pro Israel and Saudi Arabia for the liking of isolationists and libertarians and the far right (media definition) has even gone off him a bit for baulking on the big immigration policies he promised.

I just don't understand the rage at all, as hilarious as it is to observe or give the occasional prod it's downright weird.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 11 of 24   

Jump to: