Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jay Rantall (40), Trent Bianco (45), Trey Ruscoe (55)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Collingwood has strengthened its hand in the 2019 national draft through an exchange of selections with Brisbane.

The Pies have acquired from the Lions a future third round pick and pick 48 in this year’s draft for a future second round selection.

The deal leaves Collingwood with picks 35, 48, 62 and 74 in next week’s draft and offers currency with which to explore further exchanges.

“Basically, we have brought in another pick to work with this year but not at any significant cost to our draft position next year given we have a future second from St Kilda in 2020,” Collingwood list manager, Ned Guy said.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-11-21/pies-trade-picks-with-lions

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 am

I could be wrong but I'm of the belief that until this trade we didn't possess a 2020 3rd round selection (used in Aish trade) and as such this would stop us potentially trading our future 1st on draft night.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Born to Pie wrote:
Quote:
Collingwood has strengthened its hand in the 2019 national draft through an exchange of selections with Brisbane.

The Pies have acquired from the Lions a future third round pick and pick 48 in this year’s draft for a future second round selection.

The deal leaves Collingwood with picks 35, 48, 62 and 74 in next week’s draft and offers currency with which to explore further exchanges.

“Basically, we have brought in another pick to work with this year but not at any significant cost to our draft position next year given we have a future second from St Kilda in 2020,” Collingwood list manager, Ned Guy said.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-11-21/pies-trade-picks-with-lions

Nothing not to like. Well done given the limited options we had.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:10 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Nothing not to like. Well done given the limited options we had.

Sorry, what happened again? I dozed off in the middle.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:49 pm

One more pick available now after today's trading, unless we are doing further deals...
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:11 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
One more pick available now after today's trading, unless we are doing further deals...

I imagine we will put our first round 2020 pick on the table as part of a swap to move into the 2019 first round. The club have said that’s their aim and it’s become a bit easier having pick 35 OR 48 to add as a sweetener with our 2020 first round selection.
We have our sights set on Reef McInness as an academy player in 2020 and he is expected to have his name called out late in the first round. By extension, that means we won’t need to keep our 2020 first round selection in order to claim him after our points discount.
Well that’s my take on it, anyway.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:30 pm

That sounds about right P2016 and its a smart move by the pies, hope it works out. Nowadays its about crunching numbers as well as talent spotting.

The bug under my bonnet is how the Crows scored GWS future first round pick ( 15-18 ) and all they had to do was go down the pick order from 4 to 6. Trade of the season in my books for the Crows.

Why isnt the media scrutinising this seemingly lopsided deal ? I know its about GWS getting their man Green but couldnt they get it with points some other way....???

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:55 am

magpieazza wrote:
That sounds about right P2016 and its a smart move by the pies, hope it works out. Nowadays its about crunching numbers as well as talent spotting.

The bug under my bonnet is how the Crows scored GWS future first round pick ( 15-18 ) and all they had to do was go down the pick order from 4 to 6. Trade of the season in my books for the Crows.

Why isnt the media scrutinising this seemingly lopsided deal ? I know its about GWS getting their man Green but couldnt they get it with points some other way....???

At first glance it looks lopsided but it’s now enabled the Giants to pick up two quality mids inside the top 5 of this years draft ( which is a better crop than the 2020 draft anyway )
The Giants had to sell the farm in order to gain pick four but the return is worth it. The only reason the Crows are winners is because they were the ones with the key number four pick.
The Giants thinking will be that GCS will call out Rowell ( this kid is as good as they get ) and Anderson with picks one and two. The Giants probably have enough intel to know that the Dees will pick someone other than Green at pick three ( either Serong or Young ). This means at pick four, the Giants can pick the player not selected by the Dees in the knowledge that when the Swans call out Green at five ( and they will if he’s still there ) the Giants can then trump them with points because he’s an academy player.
They could effectively end up with Young ( best left foot junior in last 10 years ) and Green ( quality big bodied mid ) because they went from pick six to pick four. The only thing that would stuff their plans is if Dees call out Green at three. It could happen, so let’s hope so.
The Giants will supposedly be in a significant points deficit in the 2020 draft by doing this but that will be the least of their problems with the quality midfield list they will have assembled.
In the end, both clubs signed off on the deal, so they must both think they are better for the picks swap. Don’t be surprised if the Giants prove to be the big winners from this one
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Or the Giants trade into the first round in 2020 for Cameron (knowing they have him contracted)?
K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:57 pm

P. Ryan and D. Cherny, The Age:

"Having paid a heavy price to bring Dayne Beams back to the club last year, and then spent most of their draft capital in 2018 on father-son and academy recruits Isaac Quaynor and Will Kelly, the Pies were keen to get back up the draft order this year, so traded with the Brisbane Lions on Thursday, giving away their future second-rounder. Collingwood acquired a future second round pick from St Kilda during the recent trade period so were comfortable giving away a similar pick in next year’s draft. The Pies have a reasonably healthy suite of picks in this year’s draft, which they could conceivably package if they decide on draft night that there is a player they deem worthy of moving up the order. Veteran key defender Lynden Dunn is, meanwhile, training with the Pies in the hope of nabbing a rookie spot, perhaps via the supplemental selection period. Collingwood showed some interest in young Sydney speedster James Bell ahead of the trade period, and another pacy player in the draft would help complement the Pies’ midfield group. Collingwood’s VFL list has also proven to be solid recruiting ground over recent years. Key defender Sam Glover showed enough with the Pies’ reserves during the year to earn a state combine invite and the club would be well aware of his strengths and deficiencies. Collingwood have also indicated that they are on the lookout for a small pressure forward, in which case Ned Cahill or Josh Morris could fit the bill in the third round. The Pies also landed former basketballer Tom Wilson in May. The former junior footballer could end up being a very good value recruit as a Category B rookie."
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:37 am

K wrote:
P. Ryan and D. Cherny, The Age:

"Having paid a heavy price to bring Dayne Beams back to the club last year, and then spent most of their draft capital in 2018 on father-son and academy recruits Isaac Quaynor and Will Kelly, the Pies were keen to get back up the draft order this year, so traded with the Brisbane Lions on Thursday, giving away their future second-rounder. Collingwood acquired a future second round pick from St Kilda during the recent trade period so were comfortable giving away a similar pick in next year’s draft. The Pies have a reasonably healthy suite of picks in this year’s draft, which they could conceivably package if they decide on draft night that there is a player they deem worthy of moving up the order. Veteran key defender Lynden Dunn is, meanwhile, training with the Pies in the hope of nabbing a rookie spot, perhaps via the supplemental selection period. Collingwood showed some interest in young Sydney speedster James Bell ahead of the trade period, and another pacy player in the draft would help complement the Pies’ midfield group. Collingwood’s VFL list has also proven to be solid recruiting ground over recent years. Key defender Sam Glover showed enough with the Pies’ reserves during the year to earn a state combine invite and the club would be well aware of his strengths and deficiencies. Collingwood have also indicated that they are on the lookout for a small pressure forward, in which case Ned Cahill or Josh Morris could fit the bill in the third round. The Pies also landed former basketballer Tom Wilson in May. The former junior footballer could end up being a very good value recruit as a Category B rookie."

Cheers K,

I’m not sure agree with the author that we have a reasonably healthy suite of picks in the draft. I’m not even convinced that we much flexibility pushing our way back into the first round unless we incorporate our 2020 future first round pick.
If you equate our current draft picks purely against the points draft index ( and that’s all we can really do ) as an example, our amended position would look something like the following - Out 35 and 48. In 23.
This would give us an amended order of 23, 62 and 74. There are hardly any “ guarantees “ in those selections.
Given that we have Reef McInness tucked away in the 2020 draft ( currently as a late first rounder ) I would hope we at least consider offering up our 2020 first round selection and then go to the 2019 draft with something like a first round pick in the teens, then pick 35 OR 48 and finally 62.
Obviously Collingwood have a plan. Hopefully they at least get to hatch it on the night.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:38 am

D P
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:48 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

I imagine we will put our first round 2020 pick on the table as part of a swap to move into the 2019 first round. The club have said that’s their aim and it’s become a bit easier having pick 35 OR 48 to add as a sweetener with our 2020 first round selection.
We have our sights set on Reef McInness as an academy player in 2020 and he is expected to have his name called out late in the first round. By extension, that means we won’t need to keep our 2020 first round selection in order to claim him after our points discount.
Well that’s my take on it, anyway.

Though would a Team Trade with us to move up though?

K 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:43 am

'"Geelong Grammar's got a bigger salary cap than Collingwood," quipped one AFL official, explaining how so much talent had been herded into the boarding houses and immaculate fields.

According to the APS' figures, just over a quarter – 25.6 per cent – of the players drafted to AFL clubs in 2017 came from the 11 schools who make up the APS, which also supplied four of the first five picked. That's just 11 schools from one state, out of 2755 Australian schools that run to year 12 (2018).

The 11 schools are cradles of the country's owners and decision-makers: Melbourne Grammar, Scotch College, Geelong Grammar, Xavier College, Wesley College, St Kevin's College, Haileybury College, Caulfield Grammar, Brighton Grammar, Geelong College and Carey Grammar.'

(J. Niall)
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:05 pm

The AFL has become a game for private school toffs. Its working class roots have been obliterated. It's one reason why the game doesn't thrill me like it used to...because the players (by and large) no longer reflect us, the communities who traditionally supported the game.

Such a shame. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15   

Jump to: