Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post-Trade Pies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:53 pm
Post subject: Post-Trade PiesReply with quote

Well that was draining and boring.

Strengths;

Out depth is still very strong and we now have a decent ruck if the unthinkable happens.

Our midfield is still in the top 3 in the league. The Bulldogs midfield is also A-Grade.

Losing Aish kind of sucks. He was a handy inclusion at times. We held onto Elliott which was good.

Weakness;

We still lack the tall forward we've been lacking for a few years now. Think how close we've come to ultimate glory and how different things could be is we had one.

How have the other teams improved;

The big movers are St Kilda, but I feel like they are still some way off. The Bulldogs have filled two needs and will shake the top 8. The Dees have also done well and should improve, but can they find their 2018 form? Essendon have forced two players to stay and I think will drop. Carlton failed to land their two targets in Martin and Papley. Adelaide are in all sorts, forget them for a few years. The Cats are a bit of an unknown, I guess they've done alright, but does it make them a premiership side?

So I feel like although we feel a bit let down, most of the other teams supporters would feel the same. Has anyone added enough to make the difference between their 2019 and winning the flag? I dont think so.

Wheres our improvement coming from?;

It's going to have to come from those already on the list. Langdon and Beams need to remain uninjured. Add those two guys and who knows how 2019 could have ended?

De Goey will hopefully play a full season too. Along with Adams and Sier, we could go all the way if we have a settled 22 and dont have the horror run with injuries again.

Where is our youth movement going to come from?

Dont be fooled by those saying we are an old team. IQ and Kelly will be stars of the future. IQ may find himself as a common inclusion in the team next year. Kelly may take a little longer, but he will be a star when he gets going.

Stevo is still a baby, Nobel is young, Sier is a baby, Tyler Brown is another that has enormous upside, Cal Brown is still a baby.....

Is the salary cap really that bad?;

The three players commonly named, will all be Magpies in 2020. At least 2 of them will be in 2021 and beyond. If we manage to keep all three remains to be seen, but until all three are signed up, we'll be under media pressure. I feel like we'll hear a few resigning news in the near future, but the big three may be longer. The sooner the better.

Overall;

It feels a bit lacklustre. We didnt add any stars, we are yet to re-sign a few big names. We didnt fill a few urgent gaps in the squad. We are lacking quality draft picks. But we are still in tact. We are still a big chance in 2020.

What now?;

We can still sign a free agent. Who is left? No one. Well the only player of note for mine, is Jack Newnes. Does he fit a need? Not urgently. But he is someone that could push into the best 22, especially with Aish gone and Greenwood out. I think we should talk to him if the wage is right. I feel like an addition of someone might lift us a little. Depends who fellow Nicksters rate Newnes and if you think he is worth a shot.

The draft will be here soon, but our picks are not overly exciting. We overpaid for Beams which has cost us this year. Lets hope we can find another Swan with a later pick.

We need to re-sign players early. I think we'll see a few smaller ones and possible one or 2 of the bigger ones before the season starts.

We're still a massive chance for the flag. That's the main thing right now.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft picks: 35, 62, 74.

It'll need a miracle to make something out of that.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:00 pm

35 is our lucky number
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:04 pm
Post subject: Re: Post-Trade PiesReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:

Our midfield is still in the top 3 in the league.

Did you do a Rip Van Winkel last year? Our midfield couldn't win a clearance by the end of the year. Utterly smashed in the finals. But yeah go on keep up that optimistic talk.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:18 pm

I think you missed the mark here.
The biggest winners of trade week were the West Coast Eagles. They've added one of the top 5 players in the league to an awesome list.

They will be the biggest threat next season to the Tigers.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 pm

The other forgotten youth is Nathan Murphy who also missed most the season due to injury.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 pm

shawthing wrote:
Presti35 wrote:

Our midfield is still in the top 3 in the league.

Did you do a Rip Van Winkel last year? Our midfield couldn't win a clearance by the end of the year. Utterly smashed in the finals. But yeah go on keep up that optimistic talk.

A fully fit an firing Beams would really, really help in that dept, and id like De Goey to get more centre time, could be a good move. And for once just bloody once, if the damn God of injury can just give us a break, leave us alone, to get a settled side, in, with Langdon back, thatd be a real bonus too. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:23 pm

Knew I forgot someone. Of course the WCE are another big threat.

So can we still finish in the top four?

You'd think the WCE and Tigers will be up there. Can GWS return?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Aish is no big loss. What do we need?

A better break with injuries and our best 26 available for most of the season.
Our list doesn't need much tweaking, just an injury free shot, we already have the talent to win a flag.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:27 pm

We may have missed an opportunity with Jenkins. Just to have someone else up there, even if only for a year or two.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:33 pm

Skids wrote:

Our list doesn't need much tweaking, just an injury free shot, we already have the talent to win a flag.

This.
A reliable forward would be nice but Cox as a role player will have to do.
No injuries and we can be right up there.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Skids wrote:

The problem is HOW do we get an injury free run? HOW does one make their own luck? My confidence with the Guy upstairs is not very high at the moment. Too many huge let downs in 2018 and 2019. The solution is to get less injuries but the problem is how do we do this?

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Presti35 wrote:

How have the other teams improved;

The big movers are St Kilda, but I feel like they are still some way off. The Bulldogs have filled two needs and will shake the top 8. The Dees have also done well and should improve, but can they find their 2018 form? Essendon have forced two players to stay and I think will drop. Carlton failed to land their two targets in Martin and Papley. Adelaide are in all sorts, forget them for a few years. The Cats are a bit of an unknown, I guess they've done alright, but does it make them a premiership side?

So I feel like although we feel a bit let down, most of the other teams supporters would feel the same. Has anyone added enough to make the difference between their 2019 and winning the flag? I dont think so.

West Coast gone from top 4 to top 2 with Kelly.

St Kilda gone from bottom 4 to a team just missing out on finals. But steps in the right direction.

Bulldogs filling the KPP needs (Hello Pies!). Should be able to push the top 4.

Lions over achieved in '19. Can they do that again? Time will tell. Did they add the right pieces to keep them in the top 4? Hmmm.

Geelong made the best of a bad situation, but I also feel they over achieved in '19. Losing Kelly is huge. A couple good ins dont make up for it.

Carlton bring back Betts who is 33. Miss out on Papley and Martin. Big losers in my book.

Adelaide are a basket case. They might get the spoon.

Essendon got Cutler and Phillips. Missed out on bringing in fantastic picks with Fantasia and Daniher who both want out and now have to stay. They had a horrific run with injuries too. Bit of an unknown. Hooker and Hurley cant keep the backline in tact forever.

Freo lost too much tallant.

Hawks took a gamble which may pay off. Mitchell will be back so they should shake the top 8.

The Dees did really well. Does it turn them back into a top 4 side tho?

Did the Roos, Port, Suns and Swans add enough to shake the top 8? No.

That leaves the GF teams. Tigers and GWS. Tigers will still be one of the major players. What trades did they make? The GWS freed some cap space but didnt add to the squad. Sound familiar? Hard to see them recovering from that GF, but a few returning from injury.

We're still in top 4 calculations. But the WCE and Tigers are the big players. Dogs should be the big ladder climbers. Crows will be the big faller.

We're feeling crap because we didnt add a tall forward. But we were stuck for options really. If anything it's last years failure to land Lynch and overpaying for Beams that's cost us. Taking a chance on Jenkins/Patton may have been worth it. But we'll see how they go at their new clubs.

Could we have tried harder to keep Aish? Or did we push him out the door?

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:49 pm

I think we all get caught up in the instant gratification of a ready made player trade. Think about it, for every trade that works, one doesn’t.
Cohesion and team dynamics change dramatically when new players come in and former team mates go out.
I seriously doubt whether any REALISTIC ready made player trade into our list would make any real difference to where we will finish in 2020.
SteveH67 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:49 pm

Picks 35, 62, 74

That is rubbish!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: