Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our lack of Indigenous players is embarrassing.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug44 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
^ You argued that Trav should be retained because of his ethnicity.
You then qualified this by saying that you think he should be retained anyways.
But, you did argue he should be retained because of his ethnicity.

I did say he should be kept anyway, correct.

I also said that we shouldn't have to make decisions based on race, but unfortunately, that is clearly what we have done in the past by neglecting indigenous talent. This is the reason we have so few indigenous players.

It shouldn't have to be the case that we retain Varcoe and make a conscious decision to draft indigenous players in the draft to compensate, but it is my view that we do.

I also respect the view that we should draft the best players available. But that is my other point, we clearly have not been.

If Varcoe had absolutely no case to be retained then we shouldn't retain him. Given that he does, the fact he is our only indigenous player is another reason to keep him.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:10 pm

People! It's simple. We haven't recruited a 1st or second round draft pick on a single indigenous player since 2005's Chris Egan, despite many being available to us at the picks we had at the time. As such we missed out on some great X factor and blue collar talent.

We also haven't recruited many tall players since the Darcy Moore F/S pick as well. I know putting the word "indigenous" opens up a can of worms but the thread was merely geared around an area of "non-recruitment"!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:26 pm

woftam wrote:
Who is Rendell's nephew that is being discussed here?

Jack Madgen, without whom our VFL side would have travelled far worse than they did. He did well in his few games this year but was pitted against Buddy Franklin last year in an unfortunate expose to AFL football.

He can well be a role player for us indefence if need be. He is a good mark, good kick and shows initiative. He is learning his craft.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:05 pm

Doug44 wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
^ You argued that Trav should be retained because of his ethnicity.
You then qualified this by saying that you think he should be retained anyways.
But, you did argue he should be retained because of his ethnicity.

I did say he should be kept anyway, correct.

I also said that we shouldn't have to make decisions based on race, but unfortunately, that is clearly what we have done in the past by neglecting indigenous talent. This is the reason we have so few indigenous players.

It shouldn't have to be the case that we retain Varcoe and make a conscious decision to draft indigenous players in the draft to compensate, but it is my view that we do.

I also respect the view that we should draft the best players available. But that is my other point, we clearly have not been.

If Varcoe had absolutely no case to be retained then we shouldn't retain him. Given that he does, the fact he is our only indigenous player is another reason to keep him.

Thanks for clearing this up. Much appreciated.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Anyhoo kids, if we want a freebie quick-fix, look no further than Jeff Garlett:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-27/former-leading-goalkicker-among-two-delisted-by-demons

Quote:
MELBOURNE small forward Jeff Garlett and key position rookie Declan Keilty have been delisted.

Garlett, 30, has played 185 AFL games since being signed as a rookie by Carlton in 2009.

He represented the Blues in 107 matches before crossing to the Dees at the end of 2014.

I advocated grabbing him when he left Carlton, but it fell on deaf ears.
Sure, he is getting on in years, but will come cheap, with no apparent interest from other clubs.
Yes, this is a quick-fix, but who cares - he is a talented crumber, and we have sweet fphuck-all of those at the club.

Doug44 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Not a bad shout. 42 goals in a season when Melbourne ALMOST made the finals. How did they miss again? Laughing
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:04 pm

I'd rather draft/rookie a young kid and develop him ourselves.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:21 pm

I'd love to see us get some great indigenous talent. Haven't Richmond lucked out with Rioli, Bolton, Marlon Pickett and don't forget Shane Edwards.

But a more pressing issue for the club at the moment is being an attractive place to play. All the players declaring in the trade period have requested other clubs (most Carlton!), and none so far have even shown any interest in us.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:24 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I'd rather draft/rookie a young kid and develop him ourselves.

Mate me too, but... wouldn't you think with the sheer volume of fans across the nation, we could scour the landscape and perhaps unearth a fast indigenous player like other clubs seem to do with ease?
Could somebody pass some intel over to Hine and co, so that it might avoid any suspicion from said other clubs?

Nobody tell me they ain't out there either; we know they are - get one - now! Schnell!

Doug44 wrote:
Not a bad shout. 42 goals in a season when Melbourne ALMOST made the finals. How did they miss again? Laughing

But the important thing is - they DID miss again! No thanks to us in round 23 either! Ah, good times!

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jeff_Garlett.html

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:31 pm

shawthing wrote:
I'd love to see us get some great indigenous talent. Haven't Richmond lucked out with Rioli, Bolton, Marlon Pickett and don't forget Shane Edwards.

Yes they have, the tinarses. Had Treloar chosen the Tigers in 2016, then they would have missed on Rioli though.

Also, be thankful they did this at 2013 draft too:

12 Ben Lennon Richmond Northern U18 2013
13 Patrick Cripps Carlton East Fremantle 2013

Or nobody would win a clearance against them again!

shawthing wrote:
But a more pressing issue for the club at the moment is being an attractive place to play. All the players declaring in the trade period have requested other clubs (most Carlton!), and none so far have even shown any interest in us.

Which is odd; considering where we have finished in the last two seasons.
Perhaps these players don't see themselves making a sufficient impact here, and would rather be gifted a game at Carlton?

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:33 pm

shawthing wrote:

...and Stack.
Doug44 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:15 pm

piedys wrote:

shawthing wrote:

Which is odd; considering where we have finished in the last two seasons.
Perhaps these players don't see themselves making a sufficient impact here, and would rather be gifted a game at Carlton?

We're not a destination club this year because we don't have the picks or players leaving to satisfy a trade for anyone worthwhile, or the cap space to satisfy the demands of anyone worthwhile.

I'd rather be a club that players want to stay at than a club players think they can get to. The latter normally means you have good picks to get a deal done (which means you've finished poorly), there are players leaving to get a deal done (why are they leaving?), and, you have cap space (which means you're list isn't very good).
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:53 pm

piedys wrote:
Anyhoo kids, if we want a freebie quick-fix, look no further than Jeff Garlett:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-27/former-leading-goalkicker-among-two-delisted-by-demons

Quote:
MELBOURNE small forward Jeff Garlett and key position rookie Declan Keilty have been delisted.

Garlett, 30, has played 185 AFL games since being signed as a rookie by Carlton in 2009.

He represented the Blues in 107 matches before crossing to the Dees at the end of 2014.

I advocated grabbing him when he left Carlton, but it fell on deaf ears.
Sure, he is getting on in years, but will come cheap, with no apparent interest from other clubs.
Yes, this is a quick-fix, but who cares - he is a talented crumber, and we have sweet fphuck-all of those at the club.

No thanks. He is a pretty crap player.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:27 pm

Didn't Garlett have massive off-field issues? Or am I thinking about another Garlett?

Would getting Betts help?
Fatui Attata 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:40 pm

magpieazza wrote:
Travis, Daniel and Isaac all say hello.

BTW iirc Bucks had a clean out of players that didnt contribute positively to the culture of the club and the players he cleaned out were non indigenous....

Rat pack.....remember.....yep. Swanny was last one left at club but continued to play until breaking his foot.

Theres nothing racist about this club. They have a great indigenous program called the Barrawarn program (wurundjeri for magpie ) We have re engaged in the Reconciliation action plan also. Debby Lovett ( pretty sure she is still there) runs the indigenous program and dont forget we have Jodie Sizer on our board of directors.

Ive visited the club through my work on many occasions. I work with young indigenous males and Collingwood have provided us with alot of cultural and educational experiences to help these young fellas. We gifted Collingwood a didgeridoo for all their time and effort and we will always be partnered with them in some capacity.

In no way shape or form is Collingwood deliberately not recruiting Indigenous players. Everyone would be picked on merit so please lets not stir a pot thats not there. We have moved on from the dark days and we are now leaders in the field of human equality.

^^^^^^ BRILLIANT POST!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: