Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our lack of Indigenous players is embarrassing.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's great but where are the original drafted indigenous players on our list??
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:47 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Yeah that's great but where are the original drafted indigenous players on our list??

Being from Bendigo, I had great hopes for local indegenous lad Kirby but unfortunately his heart issues meant he had to leave.

As I have said in another post, I advocate for recruiting on merit the very best talent available to us irrespective of putting any other conditions.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:30 am

No club just recruits on the basis of talent alone. That's why they undertake interviews with prospective players, and often talk to their families as well. The fact is, whether people like to admit it or not, players from many Indigenous communities, face extra challenges and hurdles, often having to overcome generations of marginalisation, disadvantage, poor education, and sadly environments with high rates of alcoholism, substance abuse and violence. When you pack all of that together, it's perfectly understandable that AFL clubs might be cautious about recruiting Indigenous players from these types of backgrounds, regardless of their football talent.

The Richmond Football Club has established, with the AFL, a fully fledged Indigenous Football Academy, located at their Punt Road Headquarters, in order to create a terrifically supportive and nurturing environment for Indigenous players. This ultimately makes it easier to make the decision to draft Indigenous players, knowing they have the appropriate support networks in place, to maximise the chance of success. While Collingwood does fantastic work in the broader space of Indigenous community work, through its Barrawan Program, we lack the commitment to having an Indigenous Football Academy like the Tigers. It seems to me they are reaping the rewards of this (2 flags in 3 years with a bunch of Aboriginal players in their team), while we have decades of perceived neglect in this area to overcome.
Doug44 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:47 am

RudeBoy wrote:
No club just recruits on the basis of talent alone. That's why they undertake interviews with prospective players, and often talk to their families as well. The fact is, whether people like to admit it or not, players from many Indigenous communities, face extra challenges and hurdles, often having to overcome generations of marginalisation, disadvantage, poor education, and sadly environments with high rates of alcoholism, substance abuse and violence. When you pack all of that together, it's perfectly understandable that AFL clubs might be cautious about recruiting Indigenous players from these types of backgrounds, regardless of their football talent.

The Richmond Football Club has established, with the AFL, a fully fledged Indigenous Football Academy, located at their Punt Road Headquarters, in order to create a terrifically supportive and nurturing environment for Indigenous players. This ultimately makes it easier to make the decision to draft Indigenous players, knowing they have the appropriate support networks in place, to maximise the chance of success. While Collingwood does fantastic work in the broader space of Indigenous community work, through its Barrawan Program, we lack the commitment to having an Indigenous Football Academy like the Tigers. It seems to me they are reaping the rewards of this (2 flags in 3 years with a bunch of Aboriginal players in their team), while we have decades of perceived neglect in this area to overcome.

Well put.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:05 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Let's be clear, it's not about recruiting Indigenous players because they are Indigenous. Rather, it's about us potentially missing out on recruiting really talented players, because we seem to be averse to recruiting Indigenous players.

The worrying fact is that a member of our recruiting department, Matthew Rendell, was sacked by the Crows several years ago after being accused of declaring that he would only consider recruiting Indigenous players who had at least one white parent!

These comments raised a shit storm at the time, and a public spat between Rendell and the AFL's then Indigenous relations officer, which is why I was surprised when he ended up at Collingwood, especially given our bad public record in this area, dating back to Nicky Winmar etc.

Rude very good points mate
For me the club is very vanilla not in colour but the type of players we recruit
Since 2012 e have gone out of our way to recruit and draft only players seen as complete clean skins. We all understand Eddie wanting the era of the rat pack over and the club has gone out of it's way to do this
We have no character players or X factor types and it shows in our on field performance at times
We should always recruit and draft the best possible player regardless of skin tone
I am a huge fan of what the indigenous players bring to our game and wish we had one or 2 in our 22 not as tokens but as players who can light up a match

I'm not suggesting at all that there is anything wrong or suss about Rendell, merely that, rightly or wrongly, I suspect his appointment would not have been well received at the time in the Aboriginal community.

It's now good that we have an Indigenous board member, but our club has about three decades of bad press in this area to overcome, if we are to be considered a safe and supportive destination club for Indigenous talent.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:33 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Ive heard about Richmonds football academy and KGI leadership program, its definitely making positive change and having an impact. Great post RB.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Jack Martin said he'll go to Carlton if Eddie Betts is there, because he wants to learn under Eddie Betts. This is why I wanted us to take a punt on Betts.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:00 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Jack Martin said he'll go to Carlton if Eddie Betts is there, because he wants to learn under Eddie Betts. This is why I wanted us to take a punt on Betts.

Still unsure that this is a good reason for recruiting lesser players for the greater good of a future recruits. Memories of having Jason and Cameron before we got Travis Cloke and possibly seeing a re - run with getting Josh Daicos first mainly to get the better credentialed (according to some posters on nicks) younger brothers.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:12 pm

Lazza wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:

Still unsure that this is a good reason for recruiting lesser players for the greater good of a future recruits. Memories of having Jason and Cameron before we got Travis Cloke and possibly seeing a re - run with getting Josh Daicos first mainly to get the better credentialed (according to some posters on nicks) younger brothers.

Which is quite amazing talent identification for us to decide an 11 year old kid is going to be a superstar so we'll recruit his brother as well...

How was Collingwood so shit in the 90's when they had a recruiting genius?
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:15 pm

The fact is Jack Martin wants to go to Carlton to learn from Eddie Betts.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:28 am

We had Liam Jarrah in the VFL and then the Demons took him with pick one in the rookie draft and claimed they'd found him.

Then the dropped him like a hot potato when he got in strife.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:01 pm

Jack Martin may enter the national draft. That'd be something.

Although it's likely he goes into the Pre-Season draft to increase his chances of getting to Carlton, with Melbourne the only obstacle.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:00 am

If I recall correctly the names of Stack and Pickett were identified as potential recruitment targets by the likes of Snoop Dog and Knightmare long before they were drafted. They came with a few queries attached and like 17 other clubs we decided to overlook both.

Richmond though were prepared to give them a chance with Hardwick even going the extra mile by hosting Stack at his home like he had previously done with Rioli. He should be congratulated on this.

We don't have to like Richmond but to their credit I think we can learn a thing or two about fostering indigenous talent as our history is rather embarrassing in this area with Davis our only real success story when it comes to developing from within.

Personally I like the idea of creating a position within the club that is focused on the welfare and development of indigenous talent and those from other minority groups.

By all reports Varcoe and Wells are already seen within our ranks as great mentors to our young players so extending their abilities to this role would seem a natural progression for one of them.

Take this step though then I feel we need to take an affirmative action approach with recruitment.

Now that doesn't mean we overlook a far more talented footballer in favour of someone simply because they're indigenous or other minority but if it's a close call or it involves the use of a speculative selection like a 4th round or rookie pick then I'd like to see us weight more decisions in favour of them across the decade.

My thinking here with indigenous recruitment in particular is somewhat in line with the philosophy that Brisbane have taken in recent seasons where they've looked to take players in a draft that have some form of connection whether that be because they played junior football against each other or come from country regions.

Recruiting one indigenous kid then following that up spasmodically is not the way to improve our ability to nurture the talent available within this community IMO. We need to take multiple indigenous players in the one draft and/or across successive years as it's not unreasonable to suggest that young players settle and thrive in a new environment easier when confronted with more people they can easily identify with.

While I don't believe we have any racist intent in our drafting I don't feel we're as prepared as some clubs to take on as many players who might come with added baggage attached because of a disadvantaged background.

While my viewpoint might be controversial to some after 120 years of existence for the Collingwood Football Club don't you wish we had more examples of success to show when it comes to developing indigenous footballers?

I do and it's time to make a concerted effort to improve in this area.

pacmanOz 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:44 am

What other quotas aren't we hitting?
All I want is for our recruiters / football department to do is to select the best footballers available when it comes to trade and draft.
Any form of social engineering has no place in a professional organisation (unless we are in the game of politics, and even then you wont last long).
I'd hate to have our Kevin Petersen moment because of a quota.
Doug44 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:50 am

Fully 100% agree with swoop.

The take the best player available argument obviously works in theory but not in practice. No-one should just take the best player anyway, there's more to it.

If the best two players in the draft were from Perth and Melbourne, and a Perth team had the first pick and a Melbourne the second, the Perth team would be foolish to take the Melbourne player, if it's line ball. If there's an obvious best player then fine take the best player.

That is what swoop is saying. Not that we should have a quota, read what he said and challenge yourself to actually take it on. If there are two players we rate equally that are available, one is indigenous and one is not, given our lack of representation, we should take the indigenous player.

And we clearly haven't been taking the best player, given indigenous players make up 10% of the AFL and our representation is currently 1 player. We'll see what happens in the draft.

This oversight is costing us by that few %.

I would be very surprised if the club aren't having these conversations. The question is whether they want to influence the recruiting department or as Geoff Walsh would say "let the baker bake".

Sure, let him or her bake. As long as they follow the recipe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: