Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our lack of Indigenous players is embarrassing.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to involve the "R" word. We are simply ignoring an important sector of the "recruiting possibility pool." Why not elevate Trav Varcoe to an Indigenous Welfare Mentor role for 2020 and beyond.
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:56 pm

How do you know they are ignoring it?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:35 am

Given that close to 10% of all players are Indigenous, it is peculiar, and somewhat embarrassing, that after Varcoe presumably retires or is delisted, we will have no Indigenous players on our books. I suspect we'd be the only club in the competition in that position.

Just so you understand, I don't give a rats arse what skin colour, ethnicity, or anything else, a player is, as long as they are good footballers. However, there is a lot of evidence that many Aboriginal players have some unique ball handling and other skills, which set them apart from the mainstream. It's got nothing to do with their skin colour, genes or blood lines. Its simply a reflection of the upbringing in many Aboriginal communities, where children are given free rein to play with little adult supervision and they have a ball in their hands from the time they can crawl. Added to that, when growing up they are often encouraged to play with a freedom of expression, not encouraged in the stricter, more disciplined and regimented footy pathways taken by most mainstream AFL players. That's why we are often excited by the X-Factor of many Indigenous players, such as was on display with Pickett for the Tigers in the Grannie. His ball handling and smooth disposal skills were exquisite.

So, yes, we should have more Indigenous players at Collingwood, but not because they are Indigenous, but because many of them have unique match winning skills which our club could certainly do with.
rad 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:52 am

Been calling this out since Krak retired. He could play in a phone box. Since his retirement we haven’t had anything near it. Perhaps JDG has that X factor. Richmond, WC have multiple indigenous players throughout different lines of the team. They are typically fast, smart and clean.
Another flag won today with a Rioli in it.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:58 am

Dark Beanie wrote:
How do you know they are ignoring it?

Simple really. When you consider the 80+ indigenous players currently lighting up the AFL landscape, names including:

* Charlie Cameron
* Jarrod Cameron
* Anthony McDonoald Tippa
* Eddie Betts
* M Walters
* Brad Hill
* Q Narkle
* Brandon Parfitt
* Tim Kelly
* Sydney Stack
* Marlion Pickett
* Shai Bolton
* Touk Miller
* Jarrod Harbrow
* Neville Jetta

many of whom were available for the Pies to select in the Draft. That's how I sense our recruiters are ignoring indigenous talent.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:58 am

It’s not like they haven’t tried, they’ve just been a total bust outside Krak or Leon (grand finals withstanding!)

The way people go on, you’d think everyone is a Cyril Rioli like superstar. How many are busts? How many are good for the odd magical moment but go missing when the pressures on? How many of these superstars running around in state leagues that 18 clubs have overlooked would be better in the role than Stephenson?

Really some people make recruiting sound so easy
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:26 am

eddiesmith wrote:
It’s not like they haven’t tried, they’ve just been a total bust outside Krak or Leon (grand finals withstanding!)

The way people go on, you’d think everyone is a Cyril Rioli like superstar. How many are busts? How many are good for the odd magical moment but go missing when the pressures on? How many of these superstars running around in state leagues that 18 clubs have overlooked would be better in the role than Stephenson?

Really some people make recruiting sound so easy

Yeah, why put unnecessary conditions on recruiting?

Here’s an idea! Recruit the best available player for a specific role/player vacancy, irrespective of race, colour or whatever seems to float some posters boats. Ironically, generalising about certain players from certain heritage or background is in itself considered bigotry. So bloody stupid because for every Jim Stynes or Rioli, I’ll show you a Dyas or a Bennell. So I say go after the best available albeit a lot more urgently and successfully. We don’t need replays of stuff ups like Quinlan, Locket or even Lynch. We need to vastly improve our methods of enticing talent to Collingwood ahead of other clubs. Put the best practice of recruitment ahead of everything else at the footy club during the off season. Start this immediately.🏉🌟🦅👍

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:08 am

It's only embarrassing if you're into identity politics.
There is nothing "embarrassing" about it.
It might simply mean that we are not casting a wide enough net.
I simply want to recruit players with mercurial X factor and speed, and we should be combing the entire continent to find them, regardless of ethnic background.

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:34 am

doesnt Quaynor fill your skin Colour Quota? smh

we have our quick talented player...hes called stephenson!

this thread is kind of disgusting..and the reason collingwood supporters have such a bad rep in the aboriginal community.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:41 am

Reading this thread, and others, it seems that if you're indigenous player coming to Collingwood, the expectation is that you'll be a cross between Usain Bolt and Jimmy Krakouer.
I pity any indigenous player coming to the club who's just a good, hard at it
footballer and not a X-factor match winner.
The Pretender 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:51 am

Yeah, it's embarrassing that we don't have any indigenous players...

except for the two indigenous players that we have ( had )
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:58 am

What racist nonsense. Who cares about a players race? Choose players on ability regardless of where their ancestors come from. I don't care if the team is all Chinese and neither should anyone else.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:06 am
Post subject: Re: Our lack of Indigenous players is embarrassing.Reply with quote

Dp

Last edited by dalyc on Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:07 am

Dp
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:49 pm

I wish we had more players of Aboriginal origin and be a destination club for those of Aboriginal background for the reasons noted by Rudeboy that is, some Aboriginal players leant to play without constraints that is instinctively from their childhood

Shame about Liam Jurrah in the end but some of his skills were amazing to watch.

Leon Davis provided a lot of joy.

I'm still frustrated Brad Dick's shoulders never held up.

Here's hoping Varcs gets a good pre season in this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: