Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What must we do to be best?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still capable of a dynasty.

1925 & 1926 - we were runners up
1927,28,29,30 - we bounced back to create The Machine Team

Recent history of Hawthorn

2011 - Prelim losers
2012 - Grand Final losers
2013,14,15 - 3 peat

So, it can be done

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 pm

2011- GF loss
2012- PF loss
2013 - 2017- Downward spiral
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:43 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
2011- GF loss
2012- PF loss
2013 - 2017- Downward spiral

Yes, but last two yrs have been pretty good, despite being crippled by injuries both seasons. If, and it a damn big bloody if, if we could finally, at long last, have a good run with injury, next yr, with guys like Cox, de goey, greenwood, beams, all back and fit, and big lift in form from mihocchek, hoskin Elliott, and Grundy re signing, maybe getting Jenkins, we could have a stellar year, top four, and next time play the Punt rd ferals with our best team. we live in hope. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:52 pm

Absolutely, if we can get a key forward and some luck, anything’s possible
MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm

mgh3536 wrote:
Pendlebury to half back ( has proven his efficiency can be blunted by tag, playing that quarterback role will protect his longetivety
Elliott and Sidebottom 50% time swapping each wing and forward YES

Adams, Treloar, degoey, wills beams, crisp predominately through the middle
Brown sier contributing through midfield YES

Ultimatum to josh Thomas and hoskin-elliott as the permanent forwards to pick up their fwd pressure but hoskin elliott needs to more effective as lead up outlet. Both these guys have to become tackling machines! YES

Cox given the chance to reach his Richmond pre lim form, if he doesn’t start to clunck them on regular basis .... the experiment is over. YES

That outlet mark option that mihocek is trying to provide is what Cox needs to be as Grundy doesn’t clunck them as enough YES

No room for Crocker, broomhead, HELL YES

Defence starters:
Moore, Howe, Roughead/dunne, Maynard, aish/Mayne/quaynor, Pendlebury YES

Langdon/scharenberg/Reid ..... suck it and see YES

If Scharenberg can regain some pace then he is the pick.
Reid for depth, if his body can be relied upon then it’s head to head with mihocek YES

Richmond prelim 2018 was our nirvana
We played with passion dare and speed Hallelujah brother

When teams blunt thats fast paced aggressive style we need to have a get out marking option:
Cox, Reid/mihocek, Elliott, hoskin Elliott, Grundy Or get Jenkins in there as an option

Having the ball in Pendlebury’s hands coming out of defence is position A1, none in the league better
Just call him Tom Brady
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:07 pm

Here's an interesting article that offers a different perspective on what we need to do to get better. I think it's insinuating that we (administration and supporters) love our team too much and are too prepared to accept excuses???

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/10/07/collingwood-are-the-victims-of-their-own-hype/
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:12 pm

"What must we do to be best?"

Have minimal injuries and no scandals.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:57 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
Here's an interesting article that offers a different perspective on what we need to do to get better. ...

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/10/07/collingwood-are-the-victims-of-their-own-hype/

Doesn't pull punches, does he?

Quote:
The club prides itself on being hated. I don’t understand why. If you want to be hated, then you should play the villain.

Hawthorn play the villain with their ruthlessness, unparalled success in the modern game ... as well as their awful fashion crimes, and yet they’re respected.

Collingwood don’t, and are reviled.

Quote:
As long as I’ve supported them (1987 to 1990 aside), a whirlwind of history, adulation, and even entitlement has created a mystique around the club that is more myth than reality. Any success (e.g. 1990 and 2010) has triggered the full chorus of self-adulation and, worse, self-aggrandisement, and led to the club spectacularly unravelling. When the club has failed, there’s always something.

Always.

I can’t help but wonder if the club will always be a victim of their own self-image – a self-image that constantly acts as an anchor to stop them moving forward because they’re too busy in revelling who they were, justifying their greatness, and vindicating themselves when they’ve fallen short.

It’s a cocktail that’s inebriated the club while others have moved past them.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:14 pm

^ For sure K - I believe the article raises some questions that are well worth pondering.
It's interesting that since Bucks and co have made the move away from "chest-beating" to a more of an "inner self-belief" attitude, that the team has performed better.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:47 pm

That is an article worth reflecting on, PP. Maybe that Preliminary Final lost against GWS will actually be a catharsis for us. There were no excuxes for that loss, in the end. GWS had a horror week leading into that final: losing Whtfield to illness and then the Green fiasco. Our injury profile was no worse than theirs. We had had a week off.
I remember my main emotion after that loss was anger, even above disappointment. Anger that we could have allowed such an opportunity to slip though our fingers. Anger that only in the last quarter did we feel the desperation to win this game.
Then, after discussing the game with fellow supporters, I heard some use the "rain" as an excuse. If the weather had been dry, it was argued, we would have smashed them. At the time, I vaguely agreed with this statement. Having read this article, I now see that such a statement is exactly proof of the writer's hypothesis. To use the rain as an excuse is surely only a phenomenon that can occur among Collingwood supporters.
I really hope that our coaching department, our sports psychologists etc, use this defeat as a way to to start to banish any such concepts. I hope we will use it to come back very angry next year and hell bent on improving. No excuses. We just were not good enough to win that Preliminary final. We weren't hungry enough. We have to get better than that.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:13 pm

I don't buy any of that crap about our culture being the cause of our GF failures. If you reckon we are hated now, I can tell you we were hated much more back in the 30s when we won 4 Flags in a row. The class hatred toward working class Collingwood was palpable. This long winded article ignores the simple fact that all too often we've been beaten by better teams. This year, we played the Prelim final with way too many passengers. Maybe it's true that our supporters often overrate our team. If we want to win another flag we need to improve our list. It's that simple.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:18 pm

But I don't think the author was talking about being hated. He was talking about being proud of supposedly being hated -- without "earning" the hate by being ruthlessly successful.
Doug44 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:49 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
If we want to win another flag we need to improve our list. It's that simple.

I agree with the sentiment of the article. But I don't agree that out list is the problem, it's our injuries.

Yes, GWS had injuries too, but I mean it as more of an explanation for our season where we never really got going. I was at peace with the prelim after watching the Grand Final. We would have been thrashed. Psychologically, I think that would have put us back a few years, like after 03. Losing a prelim like that, might have hurt more at the time because for two weeks we probably thought we were making another Grand Final, but it's something we can bounce back from. If we have a full list, or closer to it than we have had for some time.

The injury thing can go both ways. You could say it's an excuse used by supporters who are too excusing.

Or, you could say the failure of the club to act on it, when we have known anecdotally for years that the surface at the Holden Centre is too hard and is probably a factor, is symptomatic of a club that is overly content with itself.

Or whatever the reasons are, we need to be better.

We've told ourselves, and anyone who is listening, that we're the biggest sporting club in Australia. Well, not any more we're not, not in virtually any measure. Richmond have more members, arguably more supporters, and have had more recent success.

I think our social media numbers are better so you could argue that suggests we have more supporters, but as someone who lives in the inner East, Richmond are genuinely gaining more supporters, not just converting their existing supporter base into members better than us.

We've turned a corner post the review, but I hope that doesn't just play into the same contentment that lead to the need for the review in the first place.

No organisation should be content with the sheer number of injuries we have had this decade.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:00 pm

Its funny how the media hyped up our "best ever" midfield and yet that is where we lost the PF
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:18 pm

magpieazza wrote:
Its funny how the media hyped up our "best ever" midfield and yet that is where we lost the PF

Funny is not the word. Bitterly ironic is a closer fit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: