Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What must we do to be best?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

well a daniher won us 1990, maybe one can get us 2020!!

oh god, it took me so long to warm to Varcs! a daniher??? ugh

how much is reid on?? if he wasnt cheap as chips i tend to agree, i cant see any value there.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:14 am

mattdally wrote:
Agree. The re-signing of Ben Reid is a disgrace. We are not ruthless enough. Terrible list management decision.

Bens a nice bloke, but hes cooked both the Reid bros are made of glass, he will play bout 7 games next season, the rest injured. Made of glass. He should have retired, I reckon. We don't learn do we ? Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Achilles 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:51 am

I'm not an expert in the game but I suspect our coaches know full well where our deficits are and who we might be able to recruit to fill these. I didn't watch the entire GF but Richmond were playing like men possessed.

Great teams always seem to have a point of difference. Richmond's seems to be quick ball movement in a forwards direction. We shouldn't forget that Richmond have been at the bottom for years and have had lots of high draft picks even before GWS came in. They have a structural advantage in other words. Lynch is their icing on the cake.

As for who or what we need, I'd like a Krakour type player who can make something out of nothing. He was incredible in the Geelong GF despite losing the game. Do we need a KPF? Everyone seems to think we do. Structurally the answer is yes. Could Moore fill that gap? Could Cox? I think we have the talent but one or two speedy types could be just we also need.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:56 am

1. We have to find a suitable replacement for Justin Longmuir.
2. We have to find a ruck/talls coach who can assist Grundy in not only getting the majority of the hitouts, but knocking the ball to advantage. He also has to help Cox develop some mongrel and not so easily be lead under the ball.
3. We have to improve our development area so that Isaac Quaynor, Josh Daicos, Tyler Brown, Will Kelly, Nathan Murphy etc develop rapidly.
4. We have to improve our fitness and conditioning so that we don't have so many soft tissue injuries.
5. We have to find a way to develop more pace around the half backline and the midfield.

None of this is easy. Winning premierships isn't easy.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:52 pm

STOP over using the footy in the backline , go fwd 95% of time not back n sideways , GWS played our style in the GF , n u saw what happened, no good having 10 possessions in the back line n then turn it over, its not rocket science, look what happens when we have to attack at all costs, we r almost unbeatable
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:59 pm

Put De Goey and Cox back in the team, maybe a Greenwood type, and we win the flag.

Put Moore in last year, and we have gone back to back.

We need to get the Sensei hitting it to our blokes advantage.
We need our blokes in the middle to use the hitouts to our advantage.
We need a second via forward mid to tall marking target. (ie JDG or MC)
We need another year out of Wills/Sier being uninjured/serious

In fact, worth trying Sier/Wills/Adams or JDG replace one in the middle occasionally whilst Treloar/Pendles are resting or on a wing. Sidey can move to HF. Full grunt mode, see what happens.

Flag.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:44 pm

In recent times, we have actually been very competitive and successful and way better than the vast majority of clubs .. but not quite the best.
As long as the AFL continue to give away hand outs that encourage further diluted drafts, “ tax “ soft salary caps and orchestrate compromised draws, we will never be allowed to reach our full potential. The AFL is all about making the expansion clubs significant and incompetent clubs relevant once more.

Today the AFL handed out more concessions to GCS simply for being incompetent. They gave them the number # 2 pick, priority access to Darwin, expanded rookie numbers and more concession picks in the 2020 and 2021 drafts. Next will be further changes to free agency so as to dilute the benefit of choosing the bigger destination clubs ( ambassadorial benefits and limiting free agency player numbers to the same club )
If not for a bit of bad luck more than once during the 2018 season, we could have successfully taken on City hall.
We aren’t doing much wrong at all but the AFL need other clubs to become successful long before they want Collingwood adding to the trophy cabinet.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:37 am

Well pies 2016 - you're right, the AFL does engage in handouts to weak clubs, but the last 2 premiers Richmond and Eagles still won flags. The AFL actions are what they are. We have as much chance of changing them as we have of changing the weather.

How about our coaching staff. Bux is fine, but now Longmuir has left. Is Anthony Rocca a good ruck coach? Is Robert Harvey a good midfield coach?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:16 am

Given that we have the best ruckman of the last 50 years and have spent a fortune building a sputtering midfield around him that seems to have no basic ability to take advantage of his dominance, you'd hope that Harvey, at least, was replaced. Rocca, on the other hand, seems to have done a very fine development job - he trained both Witts and Grundy, after all, and it looks like we're going to bring in another ruckman who needs development. I doubt that Grundy actually needs a ruck coach - the problem about connection with the mids is, in my view, a mids problem rather than a ruck problem. It can't be a coincidence that the two players Rocca has worked with closely over since they joined Collingwood are now two of the best ruckman in the game. Cox is also a reasonable ruckman, although that isn't his primary task, and presumably that is down to Rocca, too.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:36 am

P4S, your views on Grundy are extreme. Not even his grandmother can compete with you.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:53 am

[quote="Harrysz"]Well pies 2016 - you're right, the AFL does engage in handouts to weak clubs, but the last 2 premiers Richmond and Eagles still won flags. The AFL actions are what they are. We have as much chance of changing them as we have of changing the weather.

How about our coaching staff. Bux is fine, but now Longmuir has left. Is Anthony Rocca a good ruck coach? Is Robert Harvey a good midfield coach [/quote

The fact that the Tigers and Eagles have won flags in “ compromises “ times is a fair point ( I thought someone would pick me up on that ; ) but maybe the other question is, just how good would they ( and possibly us ) be without all the hurdles the AFL put up. At some point the AFL will see that the wheel turns for the crap clubs and that they all get their turn.
The competent clubs who can buck that trend are the ones who really deserve the accolades in these biased times.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:40 am

K wrote:
P4S, your views on Grundy are extreme. Not even his grandmother can compete with you.

You're neglecting the fact that it's literally impossible to overstate how good a player Grundy is.

By the way, can his grandmother ruck? Those genes have to come from somewhere, and we could always use a back-up...

mgh3536 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:15 pm

Pendlebury to half back ( has proven his efficiency can be blunted by tag, playing that quarterback role will protect his longetivety
Elliott and Sidebottom 50% time swapping each wing and forward

Adams, Treloar, degoey, wills beams, crisp predominately through the middle
Brown sier contributing through midfield

Ultimatum to josh Thomas and hoskin-elliott as the permanent forwards to pick up their fwd pressure but hoskin elliott needs to more effective as lead up outlet. Both these guys have to become tackling machines!

Cox given the chance to reach his Richmond pre lim form, if he doesn’t start to clunck them on regular basis .... the experiment is over.

That outlet mark option that mihocek is trying to provide is what Cox needs to be as Grundy doesn’t clunck them as enough

No room for Crocker, broomhead,

Defence starters:
Moore, Howe, Roughead/dunne, Maynard, aish/Mayne/quaynor, Pendlebury

Langdon/scharenberg/Reid ..... suck it and see

If Scharenberg can regain some pace then he is the pick.
Reid for depth, if his body can be relied upon then it’s head to head with mihocek

Richmond prelim 2018 was our nirvana
We played with passion dare and speed

When teams blunt thats fast paced aggressive style we need to have a get out marking option:
Cox, Reid/mihocek, Elliott, hoskin Elliott, Grundy

Having the ball in Pendlebury’s hands coming out of defence is position A1, none in the league better
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:13 pm

K wrote:
mattdally wrote:
Hearing Joe Daniher also. Strong rumour about this. Best mates with Grundy. ...

Which bookies offer markets on this stuff?

Bet on Sydney. (I guess look at the odds first. Maybe they're too short.)

Yup. Media confirm he's asked for a trade to Sydney.

David wrote:
K wrote:

You're neglecting the fact that it's literally impossible to overstate how good a player Grundy is.

By the way, can his grandmother ruck? Those genes have to come from somewhere, and we could always use a back-up...

David pretending to fall into P4S's reality distortion field.
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:48 pm

bally12 wrote:
I loved Nathan Buckley as a player, and I love him as a person. As a coach I supported him for years until 2 years ago, when I could see he couldn't get the team to gel, until Longmuire arrived and got our defence organised for the first time in 7years.
Last year it was obvious in the GF that we needed to keep attacking and put the foot down. That takes courage, because our team instinctively wants to protect a lead. The GF against the Eagles was like a slow-motion car crash. Our issue as a team was exposed in plain sight.
Our issue is about psychology. About having a relentless, and insatiable desire to attack. It's about taking risks, and to hell with getting hit on the counter if we make a mistake. If a player's skills aren't up to it and he turns it over, then we turn him over. If a player can't be trained to keep up with frenetic, dynamic and explosive game style like that, then same applies. The long-distance runners like Philips and Sidey go missing in the big games where 5 explosive steps near the contest is what you need.
To have the ball means you have the advantage in that you are in control of how you put the ball to your team's advantage, and that's not to go down the line to a 50-50 where you have just given up the advantage you had.
Listen to Buckley and he constantly espouses a defence-first mentality. Automatically we are thinking negatively. Listen to Malcolm Blight and he will tell you the modern coaches that have gone down the defensive-first approach are w#ankers.

My reading of Buckley is someone that is meticulous in his planning. It wouldn't come naturally to him to champion a kamikaze all-out attacking approach that Richmond have dominated the competition with for 3 years now. What more proof do you need? Buckley will tell you there are many ways to skin a cat. We've heard it before. Unfortunately, I think Buckely's personality of being precise with this planning has rubbed off on this team. We are too static, robotic, confused, too small in the clearances, lack mongrel, think too much, and not willing to take risks. We play scared. We let sh#touse teams like Carlton scare the crap out of us because we don't want to take them on, and show them who's boss.
It follows then that our selection decisions are predictable and boring. We never go with the risky option..risky but one that could pay off. Does anyone really think Buckley would have picked Pickett to debut in the GF? No way. And yet, Richmond did debut him and got the spoils.
We had exciting players like Wells, Varcoe, Tyler Brown, waiting to make an impact, but no....we'd rather go with a 70kg Noble who was brushed aside like a little-leaguer. How Madgen could be thought of as preferable to Shhaz is muystifying. Shaz was solid all year for us, until he suddenly was out of favour. Again, a bs decision.

So what next? Sadly, I'm now in the camp that Bucks will never win a premiership for us. He was right in the doco when he said he doesn't know if he's the right man for the job. There was much made about him changing as a person, and being more empathetic and supportive of his players. Well, if we are going to challenge any time soon, he needs to change again. We need some kind of minor miracle for that I reckon.
We are the biggest supporter base in the land. We don't want to go to the footy and watch our team play rope-a-dope.
Buckley said we "were a chest beating club", but not anymore and it's for the better. Yeh that's right, it's for the better for all our haters, who love us being down, and apologetic. We need to beat our chest again on game-day at least.
Come on Pies. The least you can do is play exciting and aggressive footy. You owe it to your supporters.

Great post. So much of this I agree with....unfortunately

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7   

Jump to: