Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What must we do to be best?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:45 pm
Post subject: What must we do to be best?Reply with quote

Last year we almost won a Grand Final.

This year we almost won a Preliminary Final.

We're clearly good enough to be a top 4 side. What must we do to reach that pinnacle? Trade? Train harder? Change the game plan?

We won the same number of games as last year. Bux says he thinks we've improved, because we had a much tougher draw this year than last year. Still, I think we have to develop more consistency and somehow find a way to take more advantage of Grundy's ruck dominance. Oh, and a bit more luck with injuries would be nice.

Thoughts?
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell Grundy for a player we need plus a first rounder, move Cox to ruck, get Cameron.

It ain’t gonna happen (and I don’t really want it to) but you asked so I gave it a go.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:12 pm

If you want to look at the Tigers as being the blueprint then we are a mile off everywhere except for probably in the back half. We have no reliable key forwards, a slow midfield that plays reactive/passive footy and we don't run and gun the ball forward with speed & aggression. None of these issues can be resolved easily. We need to start with our mindset firstly and understand that we need to start playing more aggressively, especially in the back half of the year. Getting ALL key personnel fit and firing at the back end is critical as well. The midfield attitude and lack of power forwards are just massive issues in my book. As well as our reliance on Pendlebury & Sidebottom to generate play whom are now starting to get chopped out in big games. Richmond don't rely heavily on Martin/Cotchin (however when fit Martin is unstoppable and always delivers these days) but Geelong still rely on Danger/Selwood and so do we in Pendles/Sidey.

MONCO: Your life.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:12 pm

Kick one more goal
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:20 pm

Maybe recruit Tiger type players like Stack, Higgins, and this new Marlion, that might help a tad.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:32 pm

I do feel if we had ours best 22 we would have at the very least played in the Granny and if Darcy had played last year, we win that game!
So the key thing for me is to get our fitness department right. Does that mean an overhaul? Rip up the ground? Or pay for the hammy doctor to setup shop at the holden centre? Remove all the constantly injured players? I don’t know but it’s killed us.
Cox, Beams, Langdon and friends will make us a much better side. I don’t think Richmond are that good, the middle rung sides of 10 years back would beat the comfortably for mine. I don’t think we’re far off if we can get our best 22 on the park.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:40 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
If you want to look at the Tigers as being the blueprint then we are a mile off everywhere except for probably in the back half. We have no reliable key forwards, a slow midfield that plays reactive/passive footy and we don't run and gun the ball forward with speed & aggression. None of these issues can be resolved easily. We need to start with our mindset firstly and understand that we need to start playing more aggressively, especially in the back half of the year. Getting ALL key personnel fit and firing at the back end is critical as well. The midfield attitude and lack of power forwards are just massive issues in my book. As well as our reliance on Pendlebury & Sidebottom to generate play whom are now starting to get chopped out in big games. Richmond don't rely heavily on Martin/Cotchin (however when fit Martin is unstoppable and always delivers these days) but Geelong still rely on Danger/Selwood and so do we in Pendles/Sidey.

Great calls

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:45 pm

Trade Grundy for Cameron

Desperately need a key forward who can kick 40+ goals a year. How’d we all love to have Clokey now...
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:25 pm

You know how I know trading Grundy is a dumb idea? Because if you said he was on the table 17 other clubs would line up for him.

We need some pace in the middle and a blessed run with injuries. We’re not far off it at all.

Magpies035 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:26 pm

We don’t have a successful blueprint. Second best Or almost winning a prelim is failure pure and simple.
We do not have the right mix of players. Thinking we do is what costs us a premiership. We accept second best. Oh we did great, we had a good year etc etc.
Yes we almost made it Yes we have a good list
What we don’t have is a Grand Final winning list

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Only one team every year has a GF winning list in reality. You’ve got to be thereabouts multiple years running to give yourself the best chance.

After the emotion dies down a prelim after an unexpected GF is a good result. I take heart that WCE lost badly in 2015 and won 3 years later. We are still in the window and only some minor tweaks are needed

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:30 pm

Deja Vu wrote:
You know how I know trading Grundy is a dumb idea? Because if you said he was on the table 17 other clubs would line up for him.

We need some pace in the middle and a blessed run with injuries. We’re not far off it at all.

Richmond wouldn’t
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:35 pm

IF an I say IF for once, just once, we can finally, at long last, have a healthy list next season, no long term injuries, just for once, and if we can do some canny recruiting over the drafts etc, we can match it with anyone, on our day, even the Tigers, whom we have beaten 2 outa last 3.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:35 pm

IF an I say IF for once, just once, we can finally, at long last, have a healthy list next season, no long term injuries, just for once, and if we can do some canny recruiting over the drafts etc, we can match it with anyone, on our day, even the Tigers, whom we have beaten 2 outa last 3.

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:41 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Deja Vu wrote:

Richmond wouldn’t

Agree! And nor would 12 other clubs.

I’ve said it many times.... Grundy is good, but we don’t need him to win a flag. An average ruckman will suffice, and a couple of key forwards will make the world of difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7   

Jump to: