Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What must we do to be best?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncanny 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
Here's an interesting article that offers a different perspective on what we need to do to get better. I think it's insinuating that we (administration and supporters) love our team too much and are too prepared to accept excuses???

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/10/07/collingwood-are-the-victims-of-their-own-hype/

Good article Pyrenees and thread.

The part that resonated most with me was talking about how we treat failure with near misses in grand finals in particular. In my lifetime, on 10 separate occasions, they have never gone better than drawing close grand finals (I am counting 81 and 11 in those. Both close into the last but over run with not much in it at the end, injuries taking their toll in the finish.)

So we have heaps to talk about don't we? Compton's goal a point (ask Tuddy) Breen wobbly punt, Jezza gets a 3 bounce goal after no free to McKenna, no Phil in 77, Harmes, Moore touching through Twomey's long shot to put us 4 goals up at the start of the last, no goal to Rocca or free to Tarrant then goes up the other end to Akker, no mark to Swan just before half time turns into a goal for them and the start of losing the game, and then of course, how could we forget, the block.

We all know what happened but need to be careful when talking about it.

This was bought home to me when watching the footy show years ago with Eddy carping about Wayne Harmes hitting the ball back in from "three rows behind the fence." Guess what? The goal umpire was in perfect position and made a good decision. I'd rather Eddy speak in private so as not to sully a player's reputation about this. How can Harmes kick the ball on the half forward flank, towards goal, run forwards to where the ball was bouncing and beat his direct opponent to knock it back in? His opponent had much less ground to cover so there is no way on Earth that he shouldn't have been there first. Sliding doors moment. He could have regained possession then set up a goal to seal the game with a chain of possessions ensuing. Or just knock it out and take the next stoppage, clinging desperately to a 3 point lead.

I think this is where the chest beating comes in. Instead of asking why a defender gave up the chase and finding answers to minimise this ever happening again, we get the big chest beat; "we lost but should have won".

We do have a storied grand final history because we have been there so many times and consequently, there are so many stories. Despite all the calamities and close misses, we should be proud of our record. At least we show up and have a crack, often with less talented teams on paper but a greater desire and collective memory to draw upon to be in a position to win. Like we have done more than any other side. At least that is one record we haven't handed over like we have with cups won and a few other things , membership included.

For next year, keep it real. The history is great and to be cherished but as players largely irrelevant. Make your own history. Keep connected with each other and continue being totally honest. If a player gives up the chase then ask why and find out how to ensure it never happens again. Get the guns back, support each other including new chums coming through and let the rest look after itself.

And yes please, if it comes to it, in a close one can you pretty please stay focused, don't go into your shells (like you did in 1Cool, keep taking the game on. You should then finally salute. The the the monkey will be lifted, not from your back as a player, but ours as supporters.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:29 pm

Presti35 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Sadly, while nearly everyone else dines out on interstate teams in a GF, it's our achilles heel. 0-4 vs interstate teams

0-3 isnt it?

It's because the interstate team has the home ground advantage against us in GFs at the G, but the disadvantage against every other Vic side. Sad
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:42 pm

the fuzz wrote:
Kick one more goal

Laughing Laughing

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Be better than the rest. Cool
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:21 am

UNCANNY, I hate to correct you but...in 1979 if Harmes's direct opponent had knocked the ball out of bounds we wouldn't have been "clinging to a 3 points lead". The resultant goal from Harmes's play put Carlton 10 points ahead. Alan Edwards then kicked a goal.

So, when the incident happened, we were actually behind. As in 2018, Collingwood kicked the first 5 goals of that match. We should not have been in a position where a controversial incident cost us the flag.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:08 am

We have had other “incidents “ in GF,s and I recall the 64 GF when after Gabbo did his run and goal we were I think 2 pts up and time on

A not prominent scorer Neil Crompton (back pocket) follows the resting Pie rover down field and from a pack kicks his only goal to date in VFL

A loss by 4 points

Then the rare mistake by Ted Potter in the 66 GF who instead of marking tried to knock on when score level —the Barry Breen point from nowhere and Saints by a point

By no means are these only “incidents “

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: