Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should Eddie vountarily step down now ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr Pie wrote:
I'm not the one with selective memory. The succession plan was not aimed at holding Mick, it was aimed making sure Bucks did not leave Collingwood. Mick certainly reneged on his part of the deal, but that was because it was a deal that he never really supported. He felt it was forced on him and he was right. Eddie should have realised that. Succession plans only work when the person leaving is ready to go. Ask Paul Keating or Peter Costello. They thought that they had made deals to succeed their predecessors also. Menzies to Holt, Kennedy to Parkin, Parkin to Brittain, Roos to Longmire are among the few transfers of political or football power that worked because in each case the incumbent wanted to leave and the new man was his chosen successor. (Parkin to Brittain didn't work but that was because Britten wasn't good enough as a coach not because Parkin didn't want to leave a la Malthouse)

You said the "succession plan cost us dearly" - conveniently forgetting it produced a flag.

That's what anyone would rightly call selective memory.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:09 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
I feel very sad that some of my fellow supporters are attacking Ed Sad

Joffa,mate, we are not attacking him per se, hes been a great Collingwood President, we or rather me, as I opened this thread, are simply saying, and this is purely Eds decision, and his alone, after 20 yrs, if he felt so inclined, should he VOLUNTARILY step aside, still remain on the Board, in some capacity, but hand over the reins to someone like Craig Kelly, or even a female, like the Tigers President, shes done wonders for Richmond off field, her and Gale.

Its entirely Eddies decision. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:24 pm

20 years is a very long time in such a position. The question re him stepping down though is, who would we seek as our new President and what would they bring that Eddie doesn’t? If we can define this then let the club go shortlist the candidates with such skills.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Its entirely Eddies decision. Surprised

If there were term limits (as there are at the club you talk about in your post), it wouldn't be anyone's decision. It'd just happen automatically, and the club would be prepared for it, and everything would run smoothly.

K wrote:
Remember that one of the recommendations of the Murphy review (all of which the club claimed they would implement) was fixed terms for all Board members (which is what they have at other clubs, like Hawthorn).

lihei wrote:
20 years is a very long time in such a position. The question re him stepping down though is, who would we seek as our new President and what would they bring that Eddie doesn’t? If we can define this then let the club go shortlist the candidates with such skills.

There's no shortage of good candidates. One of them is on the Board now.

The other question is: what good stuff that the current president does could he not continue to do if he's not president?
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:48 pm

I have a plan to cull the former Collingwood supporters on this forum that are just now critics....and I will be working on it over the summer. So watch this space.

Wouldn't surprise me if the type of people that make these threads are contributing to people leaving the country....
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:17 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
I have a plan to cull the former Collingwood supporters on this forum that are just now critics....and I will be working on it over the summer. So watch this space.

Wouldn't surprise me if the type of people that make these threads are contributing to people leaving the country....

Didn’t realise forcible suppression of opposing views was not allowed.....in Australia and on Nicks????

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:23 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:

You obviously have NO concept of freedom of speech, do u. ? Confused Surprised

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:16 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
Firstly, my greatest criticism of Eddie is the nepotism he displayed in how Bucks was appointed. We have to concede that Bucks has turned out to be a coach nearly all of us are proud of but it was messy and in hindsight Bucks was not the right man given his tendancy to be a control freak at the time.

However, without Eddie we would not have secured Malthouse so who knows what would have happened had he not been there....

Every president aspires to be successful and win premierships. The fact that Eddie aspires to this level is not unusual and nor should it be held against him.

The fact is we are perennial underachievers at the pointy end is not really something you can criticise a President for? By any measure, making a Grand Final means you have done a lot of things right. We have done it 5 times in 21 years (excluding the draw).
We lost 2 of those by less than a kick and in 2011 we were cruelled by injury to Reid and Jolly.

The financial state of the club, its values and its contribution to sport and the community is as good as you could wish for which have in large part been inspired by Eddie.

I suspect most of you who want him gone have never sat on a board let alone the Collingwood board and your opinion is narrowed to one KPI - 'Premierships'.

Food for thought...if you are a leader of a large group, and that group does not beat all of its peers in a given year (in this case 17 others), does that mean you are not the best person for the job?

Understand and agree all the backend activities/values that Eddie has inspired (sometimes he slips) but the absolute, one and only ultimate KPI has to be Premierships (and that's not a narrowed opinion).

If that is not our ultimate aim as Collingwood Football Club then what is it as I would be very very surprised if it's not.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:13 pm

SO...…. Darcy Cameron, one senior game for swans, we lose Aish on the never never, and miss our real target, Jenkins in trades. ??

IM NOT entirely blaming Eddie, but after this totally underwhelming trade period, just how bad is our cap movements, we obviously have bugger all room too move, despite aish gone and retirements ??

Whats going on Eddie, other clubs went leaps and bounds ahead of us in this trade period, just what is going on mate ??

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Jenkins was never the Club’s real target. Some on Nick’s thought he might be a good get.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:07 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
SO...…. Darcy Cameron, one senior game for swans, we lose Aish on the never never, and miss our real target, Jenkins in trades. ??

IM NOT entirely blaming Eddie, but after this totally underwhelming trade period, just how bad is our cap movements, we obviously have bugger all room too move, despite aish gone and retirements ??

Whats going on Eddie, other clubs went leaps and bounds ahead of us in this trade period, just what is going on mate ??

There are no guarantees in trading / free agency
Ask Essendon supporters if they thought they would be better with Saad, stringer, Smith and Shiel?
Demons with lever and May ?
Cats with Smith Stanley touhey, S Selwood, Dangerfield, Ablett Dahlhaus Rohan Henderson ( and go back further to McIntosh and Rivers )
Ablett is the only one with a premiership medallion
Swans with Buddy

We don’t need another recycled player, we would be far better served with our best 22 on the park.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:36 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

We don’t need another recycled player, we would be far better served with our best 22 on the park.

Fully agree Pies 2016, which is why there's a pressing need to address the injury concerns.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:50 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:

WTF when did you become a mod? or are you joining the mob? or maybe thats nob!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: