Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Swanny says training ground is too hard

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

AnthonyC wrote:
^That is no less than what the MCG has, maybe it's from excessive playing at the 'G'.

But what is under the G? FH is saying there's a huge concrete slab under Etihad & our training ground.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:33 pm

Steel grating, geofabric gravel and soil, or at least something of that nature and combination. About 200mm of gravel and 300mm of soil I believe. I’d suggest at a depth of 500mm and a well drained soil, it would be almost insignificant with respect to ‘hardness’ if there was concrete beneath, which incidentally would be interesting from a drainage perspective. If we have a clay soil then perhaps that would be harder when dry than a sand.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:49 pm

Surely we are at the stage of 'Just do it' and see if it changes anything?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 pm

Cam wrote:
Surely we are at the stage of 'Just do it' and see if it changes anything?
100% surely it’s a no brainer
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Players absolutely hate Marvel Stadium, takes an extra 1-2 days recovery after playing there. No coincidence our "home" games there with six-day breaks mid-season coincided with our injury run and drop in intensity and form.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:20 pm

^ And FH claims that has twice the depth of soil between surface and concrete that our training ground has. Shocked

Optus Stadium is the other suspect one.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:56 pm

K wrote:
^ And FH claims that has twice the depth of soil between surface and concrete that our training ground has. Shocked

Bloody hell. Shocked
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:05 pm

K wrote:
AnthonyC wrote:
^That is no less than what the MCG has, maybe it's from excessive playing at the 'G'.

But what is under the G? FH is saying there's a huge concrete slab under Etihad & our training ground.

Don't believe everything you read on BigFooty. Or maybe do.

https://www.stormwater.asn.au/images/Conference_Papers/Stormwater12/Akhter_Niruma_Anderson_Rhys_and_ONeil_Michael_-_Refereed_Paper.pdf

AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:38 pm

Ok, so I didn't go through that to read the detail, but does it actually cover our training ground? I'm not sure that it does, if it sheds any light in any case.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:34 am

K wrote:
[.......................]

In DTM's BF thread, poster FH says this.

Quote:

The entire Olympic Park Oval sits on top of a massively huge concrete tank that practically is the diameter of the entire oval that is one of the storages for the stormwater harvesting system that collects, treats then supplies all the water for the whole sports precinct and stadiums...I know because my dad was the one who designed and built it. And theres only half a metre of topsoil between the turf and the top of it. Which isnt much padding really. Like i said earlier its basically like training full time at Etihad, actually they have 1 metre of soil between the concrete slab of the roof of the carpark and the turf, so bit softer than our olympic oval 😂

Its no surprise to the club they received all the geotechnical reports when the ground was redeveloped and another engineering report that was done on the ground only a couple of years ago?

WEll if thatt's true then we have a smoking gun. People have been complaining about Etiad for decades, and the paddock acc to this should be even harder.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:23 am

K wrote:
bokka wrote:
If that's the case get a different f-ing training ground or spend a million dollars resurfacing, you f-ing idiots. ...

I'd like to know how much it would cost. ... How much does adding a metre of topsoil over 1.6 hectares cost?

If good topsoil costs $50 per cubic metre that's $800,000 just for the soil, but if they can get it for a quarter the price it's "only" $200,000. They'd also need to build an embankment around the boundary of the raised surface. And that's before constructing the new field. At $30,000-$40,000 per hectare for construction and $10,000 per hectare for water, that's $65,000-$80,000.

How much does a 500m embankment 1m in height cost?

Maybe the club should get a big landscaping firm as its new major sponsor. Cool
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:39 am

AnthonyC wrote:
Ok, so I didn't go through that to read the detail, but does it actually cover our training ground? I'm not sure that it does, if it sheds any light in any case.

I couldn't quite figure it out, but it didn't seem to confirm there's a massive tank under our training ground.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:44 am

K wrote:
K wrote:
bokka wrote:
If that's the case get a different f-ing training ground or spend a million dollars resurfacing, you f-ing idiots. ...

I'd like to know how much it would cost. ... How much does adding a metre of topsoil over 1.6 hectares cost?

If good topsoil costs $50 per cubic metre that's $800,000 just for the soil, but if they can get it for a quarter the price it's "only" $200,000. They'd also need to build an embankment around the boundary of the raised surface. And that's before constructing the new field. At $30,000-$40,000 per hectare for construction and $10,000 per hectare for water, that's $65,000-$80,000.

Maybe the club should get a big landscaping firm as its new major sponsor. Cool

PUting another 1/2 meter on top sounds difficult, because you'd have to change teh stadium seating for the 1st section, and maybe reconcrete it to be hgher too.
Might be better to remove what is there and replace with something with a "softer" design. Maybe even a layer of something shock absorbent that the soil is placed on. Might be able to reuse the removed topsoil and turf after completing the new undersurface.
I also already suggested players being told to use shock absorbant inner soles such as sorbothane, although that suggestion was met with derision.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 am

But there isn't seating except the terraces at the far end (away from the building). It's true that spectators on the pathway on the same side as the building would be peeping over a metre-tall embankment, but who cares about spectators? Wink

"Softer design" sounds like relying on technology that may not exist or is unproven or expensive. Which reminds me: isn't it crazy that the problem grounds are all the new ones (Marvel, Optus, our training ground)? They make them fancy and forget to make them safe for the players.

The players could also just not train in boots. That's what Swan said he did. It's madness, though, when the ground felt so bad to him that he thought sprint training inside on the treadmill was safer than outside on the oval. Shocked And you'd think training would need some kicking at some stage, and then it might not be great training if you're not wearing boots.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Quote:

If it's $150 a square metre for brick or stone, that's another $75,000.
And that's just for the materials. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: