Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Renewable energy - we have a problem.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:13 pm
Post subject: Renewable energy - we have a problem.Reply with quote

Now despite what you may think, I am a fan of renewable energy. Hydro is great, Solar is pretty good. But two seperate articles I read today highlights a problem.

Quote:
Australia’s ageing electricity grid risks being overwhelmed by solar panels unless the government and companies take urgent action to avoid higher power prices for consumers.

The warning from the Australian Energy Market Commission follows a rapid uptake of household solar – it says the grid has reached a ‘‘tipping point’’ and will be unable to cope with the forecast penetration of renewables.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/tipping-point-energy-regulator-says-electricity-grid-won-t-cope-with-more-solar-20190925-p52uvv.html

My read is that our rapidly becoming antiquated electricity grid was designed and built to have a big consistent load coming in from a power station, not for a dispersed drip feed model which happens when more and more people whack panels on the roof and try to feed the excess back to the grid.

That means the infrastucture, which is pretty much now privately owned, needs a serious overhaul if we want to have 21st century electricity delivery.

See the problem? Not yet?

Quote:
State-owned power provider Synergy has recorded a massive $656.9 million net loss for the past financial year, blaming a "challenging energy landscape" and the rise of rooftop solar power for its woes.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-26/wa-power-retailer-synergy-posts-massive-financial-loss/11550420

Solar power is good for the environment and for your electricity bill, and bad for electricity company profits. So, using the old "Always back self interest" argument, who is going to pay for the required upgrade to the grid to enable increased renewable energy?

I'm tipping not the electricity companies who have a vested interest in keeping us locked onto the grid.

As much as I've been a critic of Government run utilities, is this the beginning of a case for state governments to take back control of the electricity infrastructure?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My solar system goes in next week.
My power bills last summer were near $900 (2 months).

It's on more roofs than not over here in WA. Interesting to see how they deal with this going forward.

partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Stui, it reminds me of the 80s when the board of works implored Melburnians to not install rainwater tanks because it would reduce the amount of water to flush the drains.
How many bouts of severe water restrictions since then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: