Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grundy contract

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:18 pm
Post subject: Grundy contractReply with quote

I do not want to see this on the front page! No distractions, should not even be talking about it. Two weeks isn't too long to wait, Brody!

I don't have a sub, but pretty sure he was asked the question during today's media commitment, and he answered honestly. I know he's 100% focused on the prelim and the GF.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.heraldsun.com.au%2Fsport%2Fafl%2Fteams%2Fcollingwood%2Fcollingwood-ruckman-brodie-grundy-wrestling-with-lure-of-return-home-as-contract-talks-drag-on%2Fnews-story%2F35934c387bda46f75d03f2aaf20d71f8&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21suffix=45-b

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt he'll go home now.

Crows are a mess and in the middle of a review, so the new coach will clean house and start afresh with finals being years off.

Port are just a basket case too.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:26 pm

Adelaide is a mental asylum right now, players want out left right and centre. Sloane is a bloody fantastic bloke, and if it wasn't for his family tragedy he would have been captain and he deserves so much better. But geez, anyone who requests a trade to Adelaide right now would have to be mad.

Unless it's Port Adelaide. A couple of big recruits and they'll be up there again.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:57 pm

It's called player agent posturing!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Brodie is a genuine star of the competition, a multiple all Australian whose body has been sound for 5 years. At 25 he's entering his peak period as a player but he should still appreciate that come the end of his current contract he'll be 27 heading into season 2021. A 7 year contract extension would take him through to age 33 and given the crash and bash nature of his role it's unlikely he'd be close to the force he is now and the club is right to be wary of making such a long term commitment.

Brodie is a genuine star of the competition, a multiple all Australian whose body has been sound for 5 years. At 25 he's entering his peak period as a player and the club should appreciate that come the start of the 2021 season he'll still be only 27. A 3 year contract extension seems like a slap in the face given his ability and contribution to the side and even allowing for the crash and bash nature of his role unnecessarily cautious.

Surely both sides can give a little and come up with a compromise of a 5 year deal with a trigger clause put in place that provides an automatic 6th and then 7th year should Brodie meet the requirements. I'm thinking something like 30 games played across years 4 and 5 triggers a 6th and then 15 games played in year 6 triggers a 7th.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:46 pm

To me, Brodie leaving will bring back memories of the likes of Tuddy, Thommo, Peter Moore, Carmen, Phil Walsh etc. leaving. It will be a sad day but the club survives. It is what it is. We move along.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:04 pm

Personally I'd give him the 7 years.

He's unusual for a ruckman as many don't start to come good till their late 20's, he's likely to be finished by his early 30's because of his body shape and how he plays. But I'd still do it and build the rest of the cap around him.

Offering 3 years to a 25 year old who's just got his 2nd AA is dumb. Lock him in Eddie.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:15 am

Yep, spot on Stui... why they would even hesitate is mind boggling. Give him what he wants and sign him up ASAP.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:29 am

He wants 7. We offer 3. We meet half way. He signs for 5. Done deal.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:52 pm

Skids wrote:
Yep, spot on Stui... why they would even hesitate is mind boggling. Give him what he wants and sign him up ASAP.

And then maybe we'll have no money to keep De Goey, Stephenson and Darcy Moore! Seriously guys, let's acknowledge that our club have professional list managers who know how to negotiate these complex negotiations. None of us really know what's been offered and/or rejected. Obviously, it would be disastrous if we lost Grundy, but does anyone really think our footy department is not aware of that.

I'm confident that at the end of the day, Grundy will extend his contract with us. But we will all just have to wait and see.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Skids wrote:

And then maybe we'll have no money to keep De Goey, Stephenson and Darcy Moore! Seriously guys, let's acknowledge that our club have professional list managers who know how to negotiate these complex negotiations. None of us really know what's been offered and/or rejected. Obviously, it would be disastrous if we lost Grundy, but does anyone really think our footy department is not aware of that.

I'm confident that at the end of the day, Grundy will extend his contract with us. But we will all just have to wait and see.

Good point and I get that Rude. The boys as a group would all be aware and obviously nobody wants to be 'greedy at the expense of others.

Having said that, Grundy is a once in a life time Ruckmen, he is the Polly Farmer of my generation. Losing him would be insane.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:29 pm

I don't think Grundy is too worried about the delay. With each passing week his market value goes up (with every winning final he plays in; All Australian selection etc). And the longer he waits the more money the Pies have to spend on him (within cap) as old timers like Wells, Goldsack retire. Grundy's honey pot is growing daily.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:30 pm

inxs88 wrote:
It's called player agent posturing!

This.

Relax peeps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: