Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL.com reports that Sam Murray will be delisted

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
At first glance I'm a bit disappointed in this decision given we stood by Thomas and Keeffe and would have been happy to see Murray given a second chance.

I can only assume the club isn't convinced he's changed his ways off field.

I concur. But looking back to when he burst onto the scene and played the first 7 games or so, after which he was surprisingly dropped and didn't Bucks say something like "there's things we're looking from him before he's considered again for selection". That tells me that there may have been some sort of falling out (similar to the Freeman situation?), and Bucks never fully regained faith in him. The drug saga may have been the final straw, or something else since which gave the impression he wasn't fit to return to the club?

melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:32 am

I found it a bit of a surprise to be honest. Thought he'd get at least 1 years chance. He appears to have the talent, so can only assume it's behavior/attitude based decision.

Is it possible we are looking at re-drafting him?
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:21 am

melliot wrote:
I found it a bit of a surprise to be honest. Thought he'd get at least 1 years chance. He appears to have the talent, so can only assume it's behavior/attitude based decision.

Is it possible we are looking at re-drafting him?

He's already a rookie so not much point in that - unless the rules require that you can only be on rookie list for a limited time then ahve to be upgraded to senoirs, in which case would make sense to drop and then try to rookie list again. But also he did have deficiencies, eg disposal which needed to be improved and he was not being selected much when got the bad test. But why keep him in suspense in that case, since he was unable to even train so no way of monitoring his progress.
Like yo like a girl and her parents forbid it but she says she will wait for you, then drops you as soon as the parents change their mind.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:12 am

inxs88 wrote:
Thought the recent decision was "final"! B sample assessed, evidence assessed and 18 months the sanction retrospectively applied. Game, Set and Match for the Pies now to sack him.

I think a lot of people forget that we actually did delist him last year before picking him up in the rookie draft. Not sure if that counts as contract violation, but it’s pretty clear that we wouldn’t have done it if it hadn’t been for the ASADA investigation.

npalm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:34 am

I find the club's decision strange. The guy has only just turned 22. He clearly showed in the thirteen games he played that he had the potential to develop into a very handy senior player.
Posters here who are crititcal of his ability need to remember he was only 20 when he played those 13 games. Yes, he had some deficiencies in his game but what 20 year old doesn't.
I can only assume the club has chosen not to give him a second chance for reasons other than his playing ability.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:24 pm

npalm wrote:
Posters here who are crititcal of his ability need to remember he was only 20 when he played those 13 games. Yes, he had some deficiencies in his game but what 20 year old doesn't.

Well, how easy is it to improve kicking? Not impossible, but Eade (for example) said you just need to recruit better kicks. It's not that his kicks looked bad, but they often went straight to the opposition.

As for "posters here who are critical of his ability"... if it were me, I'd far prefer to have my seen footy skills criticised than to have vague innuendo spread about the unseen stuff I do off-field.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:34 pm

If true, Keefe and Thomas perhaps got more leniency because their indiscretion was at least outside the season proper, whereas Murray's was on a match day.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Lachie's & JT's footy skills were more highly valued. It's a footy club after all.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 pm

/\ this!!! good luck to him, but he blew his chance!
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:11 pm

K wrote:
Lachie's & JT's footy skills were more highly valued. It's a footy club after all.

And Lachie whom served the full two years at Pies and then played another season without 1 Senior game was an exercise in extreme "futility".

npalm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:35 pm

K wrote:
npalm wrote:

Well, how easy is it to improve kicking? Not impossible, but Eade (for example) said you just need to recruit better kicks. It's not that his kicks looked bad, but they often went straight to the opposition.

As for "posters here who are critical of his ability"... if it were me, I'd far prefer to have my seen footy skills criticised than to have vague innuendo spread about the unseen stuff I do off-field.

Firstly, his kicking is not great, but it's not significantly worse than a few other senior blokes at the same stage of their development. If you check the stats you'll see that his disposal efficiency is pretty much the same as blokes like JT and Noble for example.

Secondly, I don't believe I'm spreading 'vague innuendo'. His delisting just makes no sense to me based on my perception of his football skills. I see him as at least the equivalent in football ability (at the same stage of development) as JT and Keefe. They were given a second chance, whereas he (as far as I know) hasn't been.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:56 pm

I wasn't aiming the innuendo comment specifically at you. (And I didn't think you were aiming your "posters who are critical" comment at me either.)

As for SM's kicking, look at his clanger counts per kick. The disposal efficiency can hide many things.

Even the VFL commentators were shocked.

Last edited by K on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:00 pm

inxs88 wrote:
K wrote:

And Lachie whom served the full two years at Pies and then played another season without 1 Senior game was an exercise in extreme "futility".

Lachie could play against us this weekend. Let's not jinx anything! Shocked
Pierate16 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Totally baffling - watch this space. He will now head to North to join Shawry for nothing. He’ll be a player yet.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 pm

At the time of the trade, people where questioning the move.

After his first few games, it was looking like we'd made a good deal.

Then he has a sniff and then a year and a half pass and then he is cleared to play round one and then he is delisted.

I guess you cant win every trade you make. It was a low risk at the time, but it's still disappointing we seemed to have wasted that pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: