Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL.com reports that Sam Murray will be delisted

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
gobbles21 wrote:
David wrote:
Haff wrote:
Baffling. Why hold onto him this long then drop him just before the prelim? I assume he as good mates at the club. Blows my mind.

I agree with this. Weird decision, exacerbated by the fact that I really thought he’d get another chance. And if not, why announce it now and not after the season with the rest of the delistings, so as to avoid it being a distraction to other players? I can only imagine there’s something going on behind the scenes (e.g. he’s specifically asked for this to be public because he wants to make it clear to other clubs that he’s on the table).

AGAIN, read above...

Your post explains why we didn’t delist him earlier, and thanks for that. It doesn’t explain why we’re delisting him while our campaign is still alive and not when the rest of the list turnover happens. It seems like we’re singling him out.

Maybe because it gives Murray more time to find a new footy home than wait until his contract expires ay years' end. He's now free to put himself on the market.
gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:56 pm

David wrote:
gobbles21 wrote:
David wrote:
Haff wrote:
Baffling. Why hold onto him this long then drop him just before the prelim? I assume he as good mates at the club. Blows my mind.

I agree with this. Weird decision, exacerbated by the fact that I really thought he’d get another chance. And if not, why announce it now and not after the season with the rest of the delistings, so as to avoid it being a distraction to other players? I can only imagine there’s something going on behind the scenes (e.g. he’s specifically asked for this to be public because he wants to make it clear to other clubs that he’s on the table).

AGAIN, read above...

Your post explains why we didn’t delist him earlier, and thanks for that. It doesn’t explain why we’re delisting him while our campaign is still alive and not when the rest of the list turnover happens. It seems like we’re singling him out.

Yeah that's fair, maybe they had every intention to do so as soon as they could... It tells me that they would have delisted him straight away had the club been able to.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:56 pm

gobbles21 wrote:
makri wrote:
gobbles21 wrote:
Cam wrote:
Haff wrote:

Duty of care perhaps. Workcover? It will be something to do with welfare methinks.

Exactly. I'm sick of saying it to everyone for the last 12 months. We signed him to a 2 year contract. Unless he breaches that or agrees to step down, then we have to keep him on the list for the full 2 years.

Any violation of that would be unfair dismissal and a violation of his workplace rights.

Until a few weeks ago, he had not been found guilty of anything. He was awaiting his chance to have his case heard which is his right. Now that it has been resolved, the club is free to move him on.
(And would have been free to move him on anyway had it dragged out further as his contract would expire end of October)

*edit- Sorry, didn't read your post properly!

Drug ban is enough to terminate a contract immediately.

You still didn't read it properly...

Yes, a drug ban is... Which until a few weeks ago hadn't happened, he'd accepted a provisional suspension which is NOT a drug ban and is not enough to terminate a contract. It's provisional until the final ruling he was not found guilty of anything.

We have this thing in Australia, called "innocent until proven guilty" and it applies in not only society but workplace as well. It's no different to a policeman, or a truck driver or any other profession. If they return a positive sample they are immediatley stood down on a provisional suspension pending the outcome of an investigation and/or follow up test (In Sam's case, the results of the B-Sample which is his right to request, and ASADA hearing.)

We on the same page, i.e. can't terminate until verdict/judgment handed down.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:29 pm

At first glance I'm a bit disappointed in this decision given we stood by Thomas and Keeffe and would have been happy to see Murray given a second chance.

I can only assume the club isn't convinced he's changed his ways off field.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:46 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I can only assume the club isn't convinced he's changed his ways off field.

I think you are more convinced about his ways on-field than many.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:55 pm

I'm surprised. I was hoping we’d keep him after all the palarva. Shoulda been kept on the rookie list.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:56 pm

I'm not sure we have room on the rookie list.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Thought the recent decision was "final"! B sample assessed, evidence assessed and 18 months the sanction retrospectively applied. Game, Set and Match for the Pies now to sack him.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Gobbles has pretty much covered it, except that Murray had a 2 year contract but agreed to move to the Rookie list for 2019 which freed up a spot.

He was only provisionally suspended which means we were obliged to pay him, unlike a drug ban where we aren't allowed to pay him.

Until ASADA gave it's findings he was indeed innocent until proven guilty, so we were obliged to keep him on the list both for contract reasons, general fairness and welfare.

I also note that the club hasn't made any announcement that he's being delisted, it's speculation from a journo.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Gobbles has pretty much covered it, except that Murray had a 2 year contract but agreed to move to the Rookie list for 2019 which freed up a spot.

He was only provisionally suspended which means we were obliged to pay him, unlike a drug ban where we aren't allowed to pay him.

Until ASADA gave it's findings he was indeed innocent until proven guilty, so we were obliged to keep him on the list both for contract reasons, general fairness and welfare.

I also note that the club hasn't made any announcement that he's being delisted, it's speculation from a journo.

Provisional suspension and innocent until proven guilty seem to contradictions.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Recreation drug.... We could of had 2 players like him in the team which is fine... Must mean we keeping both Reid and Dunn
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:07 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Provisional suspension and innocent until proven guilty seem to contradictions.

Common practice when serious misconduct is suspected, suspension on pay while investigation is conducted. As you get paid, it's not punitive.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:11 pm

I am disappointed that we delisted him. I thought he was promising enough to stay on our list.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:23 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
I am disappointed that we delisted him. I thought he was promising enough to stay on our list.

you really think that with Noble, Quaynor, Aish and countless others on the list that this kid was ever going to get a game for us. Had some good qualities on the field, but just not a complete package. Might be worth a look for Gold Coast though as they try to build from the ashes.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 pm

Quote:
Might be worth a look for Gold Coast though as they try to build from the ashes.

I think the last thing GC need are more players with bad habits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: