Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

AFL.com reports that Sam Murray will be delisted

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:55 pm
Post subject: AFL.com reports that Sam Murray will be delistedReply with quote

Quote:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-17/collingwood-cuts-running-defender-after-drug-ban

COLLINGWOOD has told Sam Murray he won't be offered a contract for next year despite him being eligible to play again in mid-February.

Fair enough too. You cant be that stupid and then be kept on the list.

Then again, we held onto JT, even though it was a slightly different situation.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Bye bye. He came to the club (2017) hot on Josh Thomas coming back from a two year drug ban (2015-16), and didn't pay attention. Big lesson for everyone at the club.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Baffling. Why hold onto him this long then drop him just before the prelim? I assume he as good mates at the club. Blows my mind.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Maybe he asked? We don't know the conversation he had with the club. Honestly, Noble plays a similar role and has better skills.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Well that was a 2018 second round pick gone begging.

I thought he showed something in his short playing time here. But why the heck would you do a few lines? And on game day?

#princeofseagulls

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Haff wrote:
Baffling. Why hold onto him this long then drop him just before the prelim? I assume he as good mates at the club. Blows my mind.

Duty of care perhaps. Workcover? It will be something to do with welfare methinks.

gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:32 pm

Cam wrote:
Haff wrote:

Duty of care perhaps. Workcover? It will be something to do with welfare methinks.

Exactly. I'm sick of saying it to everyone for the last 12 months. We signed him to a 2 year contract. Unless he breaches that or agrees to step down, then we have to keep him on the list for the full 2 years.

Any violation of that would be unfair dismissal and a violation of his workplace rights.

Until a few weeks ago, he had not been found guilty of anything. He was awaiting his chance to have his case heard which is his right. Now that it has been resolved, the club is free to move him on.
(And would have been free to move him on anyway had it dragged out further as his contract would expire end of October)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:34 pm

Haff wrote:

I agree with this. Weird decision, exacerbated by the fact that I really thought he’d get another chance. And if not, why announce it now and not after the season with the rest of the delistings, so as to avoid it being a distraction to other players? I can only imagine there’s something going on behind the scenes (e.g. he’s specifically asked for this to be public because he wants to make it clear to other clubs that he’s on the table).

gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:36 pm

David wrote:
Haff wrote:

I agree with this. Weird decision, exacerbated by the fact that I really thought he’d get another chance. And if not, why announce it now and not after the season with the rest of the delistings, so as to avoid it being a distraction to other players? I can only imagine there’s something going on behind the scenes (e.g. he’s specifically asked for this to be public because he wants to make it clear to other clubs that he’s on the table).

AGAIN, read above...
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Back in August just gone he posted a pic of himself working out in a gym somewhere. So apparently he was perhaps thinking of a return to playing with the Pies.

https://www.instagram.com/sammurrayy__/

As I recall, at the time he got busted he had been pretty well worked out by opposition clubs. His burst out of defence was routinely being shut down and he was forced to make panicked kicks to no advantage. Maybe if he hadn't got busted and had continued to play he might have developed another dimension to his one dimensional game.
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:44 pm

gobbles21 wrote:
Cam wrote:
Haff wrote:

Exactly. I'm sick of saying it to everyone for the last 12 months. We signed him to a 2 year contract. Unless he breaches that or agrees to step down, then we have to keep him on the list for the full 2 years.

Any violation of that would be unfair dismissal and a violation of his workplace rights.

Until a few weeks ago, he had not been found guilty of anything. He was awaiting his chance to have his case heard which is his right. Now that it has been resolved, the club is free to move him on.
(And would have been free to move him on anyway had it dragged out further as his contract would expire end of October)

*edit- Sorry, didn't read your post properly!

Drug ban is enough to terminate a contract immediately.

Last edited by makri on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
bucking awesome 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:44 pm

I reckon the arrival and success of our number 49 -John (the Flash) Noble sounded the end of mr Murray. Similar players except the latest model can kick
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:50 pm

bucking awesome wrote:
I reckon the arrival and success of our number 49 -John (the Flash) Noble sounded the end of mr Murray. Similar players except the latest model can kick

And if Noble breaks down we can rob spare parts from his twin brother.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:51 pm

gobbles21 wrote:
David wrote:
Haff wrote:

AGAIN, read above...

Your post explains why we didn’t delist him earlier, and thanks for that. It doesn’t explain why we’re delisting him while our campaign is still alive and not when the rest of the list turnover happens. It seems like we’re singling him out.

gobbles21 Virgo

It is what it is...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:53 pm

makri wrote:
gobbles21 wrote:
Cam wrote:
Haff wrote:

*edit- Sorry, didn't read your post properly!

Drug ban is enough to terminate a contract immediately.

You still didn't read it properly...

Yes, a drug ban is... Which until a few weeks ago hadn't happened, he'd accepted a provisional suspension which is NOT a drug ban and is not enough to terminate a contract. It's provisional until the final ruling, which until then he was not found guilty of anything.

We have this thing in Australia, called "innocent until proven guilty" and it applies in not only society but workplace as well. It's no different to a policeman, or a truck driver or any other profession. If they return a positive sample they are immediatley stood down on a provisional suspension pending the outcome of an investigation and/or follow up test (In Sam's case, the results of the B-Sample which is his right to request, and ASADA hearing.)

Last edited by gobbles21 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: