Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Worst way to exit the finals

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:29 pm
Post subject: Worst way to exit the finalsReply with quote

I can deal with straight sets I feel the worst is when you’ve won the first week qualifying final then only to lose the preliminary same as what Richmond was last year like you have earned that week off only to be bundled out the prelim it’s so deflating and at least if you win you make the big dance so you are there till the last match of the entire season that’s why I want the pies to win so bad
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No....worst way is to lose the GF after leading the whole match in the last few minutes
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:34 pm

I'm guessing you're a young fella hey 90 nice?
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:38 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
No....worst way is to lose the GF after leading the whole match in the last few minutes

Yeah this x a million!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:39 pm

In our situation you want a clinical win the prelim with out any injuries but a no fuss clinical win is what is required
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:43 pm

There are many bad ways to exit finals campaigns. What about in 2006 and 2013 when, after pretty good seasons, we went into an elimination final hot favourites and got done? Other Collingwood supporters seem to have a specific anxiety about losing grand finals (whereas I'd personally rather make it regardless of the outcome). And there's nothing quite as humiliating as finishing on or near the top of the ladder and being beaten in straight sets, which thankfully hasn't happened to us for a very long time.

If we lose this weekend, will I be disappointed? Of course, hugely so. But keeping in mind that, just four weeks ago, it was looking pretty unlikely that we'd even make top 4, getting to a preliminary final is already a pretty big achievement and something to be proud of.

Every finals campaign that results in at least one win provides good memories; I'm sure that many of us look back on the 2002 qualifying final win over Port, the 2007 extra-time win over West Coast, the 2009 semi-final win over Adelaide where Jack Anthony kicked the winning goal, the nail-biting 2011 preliminary final against Hawthorn and 2018's preliminary final win over Richmond fondly. Indeed, some of those are among my happiest memories of being a Collingwood supporter. That Geelong win was equally exhilarating, and if the worst happens on Saturday night then at least that will still be something for us to hang our hat on, and give us reason to look forward to next year.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:48 pm

1. Losing the GF.

2. Losing the PF after winning the QF.

3. Losing the PF after winning the SF

4. Losing the QF and then the SF.

5. Losing the EF.

6. Losing the SF after winning the EF.

But let's face it, they all suck. And a lot of us have seen nearly all of them.

Doug44 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:09 pm

I was thinking about this just this week, I don't think we've ever gone out in the prelim having had the week off.

02, 03, 10, 11. Grand Final each year after winning the qualifying final.

The prelims we've lost each time we had to go through the semis. 07, 09, 12.

Last year was the first prelim we won after going through the semis.

So, we've never actually gone out this way, should we go out. Personally, I'd much rather lose the prelim than lose another Grand Final, especially against Geelong or Richmond.

Have to be in it to win it though!
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:10 pm

There's no good way to exit the finals.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:22 pm

You know what really sucks?

Not making the finals at all. Razz

Johnno75 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:25 pm

Blow a 5 goal lead in a GF. We have done that more than once.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Nobody likes losing a GF. I know that as much as anyone on here having attended 1990, 2002, 2003, 2010 draw (but not the replay) 2011 and 2018. That’s six Grand Finals attended (at significant expense) for one win. I also remember the late 70’s and 1980 as a kid. Attended a few then too.

The question is would I rather go out in a prelim or a GF? Take hindsight out of it. It’s a no brainer. I’d rather make the GF. Who’d wanna miss out on the lead up to the big game and being in there with the chance to win it. If you lose the Prelim you can’t be Premiers. If you win it you can. I have some very fond Prelim memories.

If we lose on Saturday I’ll be dirty and envious the following week and wondering if we coulda beat whoever wins.

If we win on Saturday and play Richmond in the GF as I expect; we’d be underdogs and I would not be approaching the game feeling confident. I’d be hopeful though and you gotta be in it to win it.

The stigma of losing another GF doesn’t worry me any more. The Colliwobbles stuff doesn’t worry me anymore. Who cares. I’ve mellowed. I’m just glad we are back playing finals again. Footy is just a game. I’m fifty years old and Been getting plenty of perspective lately.

mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:09 pm

For me the ones that I remember and hurt the most are our last 2 elimination final losses. 2013 v Port and 2006 v Bulldogs.

It could be for a number of reasons. You have a lot of hope and it all ends so suddenly. The Port one in particular would have been quite embarrassing. Both I distinctly remember watching at pubs in Perth.

My memories of the 2011 grand final are limited, but the vibe I hold is that if Reid didn't get injured and Hawkins didnt have a breakout game we would have won. I have blocked out a lot of my memories of the 2019 grand final, the year was a good run and I'm not sure we were the best team.

----------
------------
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:13 pm

mackasmatt wrote:
For me the ones that I remember and hurt the most are our last 2 elimination final losses. 2013 v Port and 2006 v Bulldogs.

It could be for a number of reasons. You have a lot of hope and it all ends so suddenly. The Port one in particular would have been quite embarrassing. Both I distinctly remember watching at pubs in Perth.

My memories of the 2011 grand final are limited, but the vibe I hold is that if Reid didn't get injured and Hawkins didnt have a breakout game we would have won. I have blocked out a lot of my memories of the 2019 grand final, the year was a good run and I'm not sure we were the best team.

Reid was fit. ‘‘Twas just that Hawkins was tearing him a new one. Malthouse shoulda made a change and put Taz on him but he was dirty about the succession plan and was too stubborn.

E 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:24 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
woodys_world69 wrote:

Yeah this x a million!

Even worse, the Mets effectively got eliminated last inght in yet another game that they were leading and the Giants Suck!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: