Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

With our Under 23's the Future looks Sound

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:12 pm
Post subject: With our Under 23's the Future looks SoundReply with quote

Had a mate said we are in the Premiership window for only 2 more years. Tried to counter his view with the excellent list management age profile we have, starting with our Under 23's:

* Stephenson
* DeGoey
* Murray (yes he is back into consideration)
* Scharenberg
* C Brown
* Phillips
* Daicos
* Murphy
* Kelly
* Moore
* Quaynor
* Sier
* Maynard
* T Brown
* Aish

Combined with blokes entering their prime: 25-27 years of age

* Grundy
* Treloar
* Adams
* Crisp
* Thomas
* Elliott
* WHE
* Rupert
* Mihocek

We have the basis of a list that can contend for many years to come. Additionally, our age profile shall contract considerably with the imminent retirements/delistings of:

* Reid
* Goldsack
* Varcoe
* Crocker
* Wells
* Dunn

So with continued drafting, smart trading and natural development, I'd like to think our list has many years of contending to come.

Last edited by inxs88 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Appleby is also under 23, and Lynch & Atu, Keane & Tohill

Aish & Scharenberg are already 23 and turning 24 this year. Phillips will turn 24 next May

Langdon also belongs to the 25-27s, as do Madgen & Broomhead (if he ever gets a game again)

28-29 includes Howe, Roughead, Cox, Beams, Sidebottom

Our 30+ are Greenwood, Mayne, Pendlebury, Dunn (should probably be in the retirement/delist column)

I think your mate has a point in that we might lose 4-6 good players in 2 years time, but if the development and recruiting continues, the list should still be pretty good

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:39 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Appleby is also under 23, and Lynch & Atu, Keane & Tohill

Aish & Scharenberg are already 23 and turning 24 this year. Phillips will turn 24 next May

(So they're 23 and under)

Langdon also belongs to the 25-27s, as do Madgen & Broomhead (if he ever gets a game again)

(not core players which what my list aimed to nominate)

28-29 includes Howe, Roughead, Cox, Beams, Sidebottom

Our 30+ are Greenwood, Mayne, Pendlebury, Dunn (should probably be in the retirement/delist column)

(None of the above except for Dunn look like being de-listed this year which was the premise of my above list. If Mayne and Greenwood were to finish in 2020, I don't think we would be in any trouble. Pendles has 3+ left in him most likely)

I think your mate has a point in that we might lose 4-6 good players in 2 years time, but if the development and recruiting continues, the list should still be pretty good

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:01 pm

2019 was such a disappointing year for many of our young players. So many of our young players got very little footy into them this year.
It makes it a bit more difficult to access where they’re at in terms of development.
I think the future does look pretty solid but many other clubs could mount a case for their young talent too.
Ultimately you’re looking for your clubs young talent to be better placed than most of the opposition.
Analysing young talent as compared to the opposition becomes a little more problematic.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:19 pm
Post subject: Re: With our Under 23's the Future looks SoundReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:

We have the basis of a list that can contend for many years to come. Additionally, our age profile shall contract considerably with the imminent retirements/delistings of:

* Reid
* Goldsack
* Varcoe
* Crocker
* Wells
* Dunn

Lynden Dunn has already said this week that he would like to go around again next season, but the footy managers may have other ideas of course.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:14 pm

Lynden is always half glass full
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:43 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

(None of the above except for Dunn look like being de-listed this year which was the premise of my above list

I only meant Dunn should be in the retire/delist column. I would expect Howe, Beams and maybe Cox to retire before Pendlebury at the current rate

Interesting that you don't consider Langdon or Madgen core players but you do list Murphy, Kelly, T. Brown (certainly hope they will become core but not there yet) and Sier aka Phil Inn. Maybe 'required players' or 'liked by inxs88' would be a better tag Wink

'Under 23' and '23 and Under' not quite the same, especially when 1 is turning 24 this month

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:44 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:

(None of the above except for Dunn look like being de-listed this year which was the premise of my above list

I only meant Dunn should be in the retire/delist column. I would expect Howe, Beams and maybe Cox to retire before Pendlebury at the current rate

Interesting that you don't consider Langdon or Madgen core players but you do list Murphy, Kelly, T. Brown (certainly hope they will become core but not there yet) and Sier aka Phil Inn. Maybe 'required players' or 'liked by inxs88' would be a better tag Wink

'Under 23' and '23 and Under' not quite the same, especially when 1 is turning 24 this month

Relax Saverio. Langdon's knee is career threatening and Madgen is currently uncontracted and a poor final away from potentially being delisted. 23 and under.... well unfortunately players aren't horses and have the and common August 1st birthday each year.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:57 pm

not sure i agree with this. Aside from De Goey and Stevo, not really any superstars in the youth group that dont have asterix next to their names at the moment due to frail bodies.

Not sure if we are a premiership calibre team without Pendles and Sidey. I wouldnt want to miss out during their remaining productive years and think that we can win one after that time!

And i didnt bother to mention that a lot of under 23s on the list havent even looked like making it to the AFL stage yet (so it might be premature to take them to the bank as premiership calibre players)

You might run an analysis of our under 23s against brisbane's and see how it looks. In fact, a recent article ranked us about 17th best in this category and it was hard to argue with the article. Of course that it what you would expect from a team that was built to make the most of Pendles and Sidey's remaining years.

2 year window sounds about right to me.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:30 pm

E wrote:
not sure i agree with this. Aside from De Goey and Stevo, not really any superstars in the youth group that dont have asterix next to their names at the moment due to frail bodies.

Not sure if we are a premiership calibre team without Pendles and Sidey. I wouldnt want to miss out during their remaining productive years and think that we can win one after that time!

And i didnt bother to mention that a lot of under 23s on the list havent even looked like making it to the AFL stage yet (so it might be premature to take them to the bank as premiership calibre players)

You might run an analysis of our under 23s against brisbane's and see how it looks. In fact, a recent article ranked us about 17th best in this category and it was hard to argue with the article. Of course that it what you would expect from a team that was built to make the most of Pendles and Sidey's remaining years.

The cliché critic critique continues to condemn conscientious contributors!

E 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:54 am

inxs88 wrote:
E wrote:

The cliché critic critique continues to condemn conscientious contributors!

Thought it was fairly thorough analysis. you are even obsessed about me when i'm in your own thread. therapists can help you mate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: