Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

First final [whatever it is] Team.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:54 pm
Post subject: First final [whatever it is] Team.Reply with quote

So given our current lineup

Maynard Scharenberg Greenwood
Crisp Madgen Howe

Sidebottom Adams Phillips

Hoskin-Elliott Roughead Mihocek
Varcoe Elliot Thomas

Grundy Pendlebury Treloar

Int: Mayne Wills Brown Noble

To come in De Goey, Stephenson, Moore

Who goes out?

Achilles 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

In: JDG, Moore, and Stephenson
Out: Thomas, Madgen, and Brown.

Not sure re: Aish and Wells.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Achilles wrote:
In: JDG, Moore, and Stephenson
Out: Thomas, Madgen, and Brown.

Not sure re: Aish and Wells.

There's no way JT or Brown go out, that's insane!

Noble & Mayne maybe.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:12 pm

Well you would think if Moore is good to go, then Madgen goes, JDG for Noble... then it gets tricky. It's either Brown or Varcoe for mine, with either unlucky. Mayne is a hard nut who can play small or tall in a variety of shutdown roles.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:20 pm

Cam wrote:
Well you would think if Moore is good to go, then Madgen goes, JDG for Noble... then it gets tricky. It's either Brown or Varcoe for mine, with either unlucky. Mayne is a hard nut who can play small or tall in a variety of shutdown roles.

i think this is pretty much spot on.

Achilles 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Forgot Noble. Yes Aish for him.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:01 am

Cam wrote:

I am afraid that we can't drop Trav Varcoe. I think he is planning something extraordinary for his finale. I think it might have to be Callum Brown who, unfortunately, has to be omitted in order for Stepho to return. I think that we should retain Mayne as he offers something significantly different, and with Elliott, Varcoe JDG, and Stepho coming into the forward line it has to be another small forward who makes way. Anyway, we should reassess after Essendon game. If either of Trav Varcoe or Callum Brown has a shocker, they could miss out. Pressure is on these two, for sure!

tbaker 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:22 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Cam wrote:

I am afraid that we can't drop Trav Varcoe. I think he is planning something extraordinary for his finale. I think it might have to be Callum Brown who, unfortunately, has to be omitted in order for Stepho to return. I think that we should retain Mayne as he offers something significantly different, and with Elliott, Varcoe JDG, and Stepho coming into the forward line it has to be another small forward who makes way. Anyway, we should reassess after Essendon game. If either of Trav Varcoe or Callum Brown has a shocker, they could miss out. Pressure is on these two, for sure!

Totally agree - Varcoe's last 3 games have been fantastic. Brown - while showing glimpses of form - has been missing for longer (and with little impact) for many of his last 10 or so games, and really needs to do something special this week to saving himself from being omitted. Mayne is simply not even in the conversation of one who could be dropped.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:53 am

I just replayed the 3rd quarter in order to fully grasp the enormity of Jamie Elliott's game. We had a tactic of isolating him in the goal square, and because Adelaide had totally lost hope, they were incapable perhaps of noticing it, or perhaps of physcially being able to run and fill the space. Naturally enough, stronger opposition would ensure that we could not manufuacture such space...unless we had another small forward, named Jaidyn Stephenson running through the forward 50 like a small blonde hurricane. Only now am I starting to fully grasp the implications of what unfolded against Adelaide: Jame Elliott has just had a break out game, on the eve of Stepho's return. With JDG to enter this forward mix as well, it is truly a forward line to unleash terror.
The presence of Wills in the midfield has also been a truly gigantic piece of the jigsaw puzzle. His physicality was fantastic. He pulverised the Adelaide mids in his tackles time and time again. His presence there has made it possible to finally unchain Treloar, Pendles and Sidey on the outside. That is why our ball movement looked to have been transformed against Adelaide. It is not that Wills is a star: it is simply that he is playing, superbly it might be added, a crucial role that was essential for our midfield balance.
I am daring to dream again.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:21 am

To me it's simple.

Moore replaces Madgen.

Then we bring in 2 forwards in JDG and Stephenson to replace Brown and Thomas. The outs will certainly be unlucky, as they have been playing their roles well, but they are simply not as good as Stevo and JDG.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:26 am

RudeBoy wrote:
To me it's simple.

Moore replaces Madgen.

Then we bring in 2 forwards in JDG and Stephenson to replace Brown and Thomas. The outs will certainly be unlucky, as they have been playing their roles well, but they are simply not as good as Stevo and JDG.

I agree with you RudeBoy, on paper anyway Wink However, we are making the assumption that all three players coming in will show no signs of being rusty/lacking in match pressure. This is something I'm concerned about a little.

We would also need to depend heavily on astute delivery to the smaller forward line and for them to allow each other the space in which they can all contribute to a good team outcome (as happened against Adelaide).

As for the delivery factor, I think it's crucial as MTTM explains above, that Rupert stays in the team and continues to play with his current level of ferocious bull-dozing. This to allow the likes of Treloar, Pendles, Adams, Grundy etc to lower their eyes and deliver efficiently into the forward line, as also highlighted by MTTM above.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:44 am

I'm sure our ol' mate the Grim Reaper will assist in claiming another victim this week, which will ease some pressure on the selection committee....

Noble and Madge were both solid against the cows, and played well above their experience. Either would be unlucky to be demoted.

Still a great problem to have...

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:53 am

Out Madgen- In Moore
Out Noble- In Aish
Out Thomas- In De Goey
Out Brown- In Stephenson

All the above in for the first final for mine.
Harsh calls on Thomas and Brown but JDG and Stephenson must play.
Aish and Moore make our backline significantly better and allow Roughead to play forward and ruck.

Imagine the forward line:

Hoskin- Elliott. Mihocek. Elliott
Roughhead. Stephenson. De Goey

(with cameos from Varcoe/Sidebottom/Treloar/Pendles/Mayne/ Grundy drifting forward)

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:31 am

Why is Stevo a walk up start?

He forked up and has missed the last 10 games. He’s let his teammates down.

Those teammates have contributed in getting us to the finals.

He’s probably out of touch and needs match fitness.

If I were match committee I’d stick with the blokes that have got us there and Stevo can start perparing for 2020.

Imagine being the player dropped for Stevo. I’d be filthy. Idiot goes on the punt, is suspended for 10 weeks and then waltzes back into the finals side..... wouldn’t happen on my watch. Shocking move from a culture point of view.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:55 am

If we want to be competitive on Grand Final day (whichever year we next get there), we need to replace all of Madgen, Scharenberg, Wills, Noble, Varcoe, Thomas, Mayne and Greenwood.

So, if we get back Moore, JDG and Stephenson, we'll still be 5 prawns short of a decent barbecue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: