Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The one that got away?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this won't be popular, but I think we need to get over the Mayne goal review. It happened in the third quarter; we literally have no way of knowing how the game would have panned out from there or whether it still would have been decided by a kick. Even if the AFL had a policy of overturning games based on incorrect umpiring decisions (and you'd better believe there'd be a long list of candidates, pretty much any time a game is decided by less than a kick – we're not just talking goal review decisions, but incorrectly given free kicks, and so on; this was hardly the most egregious case even this year), I'd still disagree with giving us the points as it's patently absurd to think that calling a point instead of a goal for Walters automatically means we win.

It's an imperfect game with capacity for human error. Unless the game one day gets umpired by infallible robots, we need to just accept that sometimes things go our way and sometimes they don't, and that it's ultimately the umpire's call.

If you really want to feel sad, imagine how many grand finals might have been lost because an umpire missed a player getting a fingertip on the ball, or a ball skimming a goalpost, or a free that should (or shouldn't) have been given, in the days before goal review technology and multiple replay angles. 1964, 1966, 1970, 1979... has anyone watched these with a magnifying glass to see if anything (apart from Harmes) could have been missed along the way? It'd be as productive as obsessing over this, imho.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 pm

David wrote:
I know this won't be popular, but I think we need to get over the Mayne goal review. It happened in the third quarter; we literally have no way of knowing how the game would have panned out from there or whether it still would have been decided by a kick. Even if the AFL had a policy of overturning games based on incorrect umpiring decisions (and you'd better believe there'd be a long list of candidates, pretty much any time a game is decided by less than a kick – we're not just talking goal review decisions, but incorrectly given free kicks, and so on; this was hardly the most egregious case even this year), I'd still disagree with giving us the points as it's patently absurd to think that calling a point instead of a goal for Walters automatically means we win.

It's an imperfect game with capacity for human error. Unless the game one day gets umpired by infallible robots, we need to just accept that sometimes things go our way and sometimes they don't, and that it's ultimately the umpire's call.

If you really want to feel sad, imagine how many grand finals might have been lost because an umpire missed a player getting a fingertip on the ball, or a ball skimming a goalpost, or a free that should (or shouldn't) have been given, in the days before goal review technology and multiple replay angles. 1964, 1966, 1970, 1979... has anyone watched these with a magnifying glass to see if anything (apart from Harmes) could have been missed along the way? It'd be as productive as obsessing over this, imho.

Yes, well we all know in 1979 fat slob Harmes was buying a hot dog in the stands when that ball went over the line. ! But I can hark back, although a young teen, too 1970 GF, yes, that infamous loss to the vile Bluescum. ! Late in the last qtr, as Peter McKenna says in his book, which I bought back in the 70s, as he says, late in the last qtr he was pushed hard in the back, by Silvaginis grand dad, big push. We were still 2 points up, and Macca, who was on fire that day, was only 30 yards out, right in front. BUT, the maggot ump called play on, NO free, bloody Jesaulenko cleared the ball and the Scum got it forward for a goal. Had it been a goal to us, we lead by 8 pts with bout 2 mins left, so there you go, robbed again, as in 2018. Evil or Very Mad Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
themonk 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:30 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
You don't seem to list all the games we didn't deserve to win..... Glass half full

exactly Laughing
K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:19 pm

David wrote:

The problem is that people, possibly including you, sound like they would hate it if the game was umpired by "infallible robots", when that would truly be a great result.

Those people, possibly including you, also choose not to make any distinction between excusable and inexcusable errors, and between random mistakes and systematic failure to follow any proper process.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:09 am
Post subject: Re: The one that got away?Reply with quote

ANNODAM wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
ANNODAM wrote:
K wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
... that whingeing shit Riewoldt ...

Every time he screws up that ugly face and screams at the umpires with his arms flapping, he should be fined by the MRP.

Vile ape that he is...

when he kicks a goal and postures with his finger pointing right arm to the sky, I want to vomit

I’ll tell you one thing for certain, if he & I were the last 2 humans standing on the face of Earth, the human species would be done & dusted with my death.

Sometimes it looks like players are rewarded for being whingers...

I posted in another thread that when Howe was free kicked for studs up, the AFL said it was correct. When the same happened to Riewoldt this round, the AFL immediately changed the Toby Greene rule. Shocked

"The AFL has immediately changed the 'Toby Greene rule' on studs up in marking contests amid outrage over the two controversial free kicks paid against Tiger Jack Riewoldt on Sunday.

It is not clear why the AFL did not change the rule interpretation after the Howe incident."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/thumbs-down-for-studs-up-afl-changes-rule-after-outcry-20190819-p52int.html
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:03 am

K wrote:
David wrote:

Those people, possibly including you, also choose not to make any distinction between excusable and inexcusable errors, and between random mistakes and systematic failure to follow any proper process.

I believe this is an important distinction you make here K. Umpiring mistakes are made by fallible people in the heat of the moment, trying to adjudicate with rules that are open to subjective interpretation. That is the nature of the beast and one we just have to accept, although very grudgingly at times. Wink

The goal review system was trotted out by the AFL as the answer to ensuring correct goal decisions, but on occasions it is improperly or inadequately used, or not used when it should be. No team should be penalized through a simple lack of proper management of technology, as we were with Mayne's touched goal. (Imagine the uproar in the tennis or cricket worlds if this was how their technology was utilized).
K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:29 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
... No team should be penalized through a simple lack of proper management of technology, as we were with Mayne's touched goal. (Imagine the uproar in the tennis or cricket worlds if this was how their technology was utilized).

Yep, PPie. Some of the AFL's blundering has been like tennis umpires miscounting how many challenges the players have left.

In cricket, we know exactly who the TV umpire is, and he talks everyone through every aspect of the decision. It's not some faceless, nameless kid making a random decision on what we don't know. I don't know why the AFL doesn't even temporarily make the emergency umpire do it (after suitable training on video, etc.). There has to be one at each game, anyway, because a field umpire can get injured. Why do they want him just twiddling his thumbs, while the kid who makes coffee for Gillon five days a week earns extra pocket money doing a job that should be done by experts.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:29 am

Skids wrote:
Here we are... relying on other games to make the top 4 (assuming we beat essendon), or be in an elimination final in week one.

Okay, so barring a disastrous draw today with Lions and Tigers, it's the Cats at the MCG in a QF, which is what we really wanted all season anyhoo.

On paper from the get-go, it looked a W16/L6 season, and we've ultimately secured W15/L7, with many injuries, and unexpected anxiety along the way.

Whoreks finally did us a favour last night, and I for one, slept like a baby!

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:01 pm

piedys wrote:
Skids wrote:
Here we are... relying on other games to make the top 4 (assuming we beat essendon), or be in an elimination final in week one.

Okay, so barring a disastrous draw today with Lions and Tigers, it's the Cats at the MCG in a QF, which is what we really wanted all season anyhoo.

On paper from the get-go, it looked a W16/L6 season, and we've ultimately secured W15/L7, with many injuries, and unexpected anxiety along the way.

Whoreks finally did us a favour last night, and I for one, slept like a baby!

What we've achieved now is exactly the same as if we'd had a few more wins and were playing the cats in the qf (i.e. if our ladder positions were reversed). So the no# wins/losses is now irrelevant, and we are going into the finals with the same (if not better) form as geelong is. We've won more games than them in the past 11 rounds, and won/lost the same no# games as them following round 1. So really we couldn't ask to be in a better position (playing a qf at mcg) - the only thing that could've gone better is the injuries...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: