Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Brown...who does he remind you of?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
He's ridiculously quick off the mark, like Callum Brown. His hand are so clean, he reminds me of Callum Brown. His kicking to advantage is magnificent - and entirely reminiscent of Callum Brown. His forward-50 tackling and repeat efforts generate goals like no-one for us since Callum Brown.

😂😂😂

And there’s even another thread where several posters who should know better, have him as not a part of our finals tilt.

F W I W, his 19 disposals went at 100% efficiency against the Crows.
He makes good things happen !
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:17 pm

^ There is also a Callum Brown thread: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=85637&start=105

Here is something I said in it on 18 April:
Pies4shaw wrote:
It's interesting the effect that a stuff-up by another player has on some peoples' views of a player's effectiveness. Brown was close to unstoppable in the third quarter. True it is that the 'Pies kicked 8 goals but, really, if Maynard and Elliott had taken the chances Brown created for them late in the quarter, it could have been 10.

That's the second week in a row that he has played a major role in closing the game out for Collingwood. Although he got two great goals (one soda generated by his brilliant, hard-running deep into the goal square and the other generated by his evasive skills and turn of genuine speed over the first couple of steps), it's actually his first-touch hand-skill that is going to destroy oppositions, game in, game out as he develops. As he gets stronger, we're going to get used to watching players stream forward on the back of his exquisite distribution.

I do not want to invite stupid comparisons but it is worth observing that Gary Ablett Jnr did not really run the midfield consistenly until he was two years older than Callum is, at present. At the same age, he was also playing predominantly as a high half-forward.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:11 pm

The kid has come on in leaps and bounds this year and is currently in good form. However, he is likely to face a possible (not probable) omission from our side, with the return of JDG and Treloar.

I'd suggest that both he and Thomas would want to have great games against the Bumbers to hold their spots.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:48 pm

^ Assume you meant Stephenson, not Treloar. Regardless, I don't think he's in danger of losing his spot anytime soon
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:56 pm

I mentioned another thread on how he plays on at all costs and will get caught at least once a game. I don't mind that. I like his quick movement. He has good instincts. He's already a great player. Imagine what he can become.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:03 pm

I made the early crow that he wasn’t at afl standard and I don’t think he was. Good thing I’m not coach as he is afl standard now thanks to sticking with him. Well done to the coaching staff and we’ll done Brown dog.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:05 pm

the fuzz wrote:
I mentioned another thread on how he plays on at all costs and will get caught at least once a game. I don't mind that. I like his quick movement. He has good instincts. He's already a great player. Imagine what he can become.

Yeah agree. He wasn’t particularly quick at the start of his career but he looks to have picked up a bit of pace, especially off the mark.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:47 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
The kid has come on in leaps and bounds this year and is currently in good form. However, he is likely to face a possible (not probable) omission from our side, with the return of JDG and Treloar.

I'd suggest that both he and Thomas would want to have great games against the Bumbers to hold their spots.

I don't think they'd be stupid enough to drop Brown for the finals - but I suppose anything is possible.

He is ahead of all of Varcoe, Thomas, Wills, Madgen, Greenwood, Mayne, Noble and Scharenberg and, as he gets better with each passing game, the gap will just continue to grow. He was best 22 in the early part of the season when we had almost a full list to select from, so he's not going to fall out of favour, now.

Putting aside the fact that Brown is one of the 5 most skillful players in our side, he is the only one in the forward half who lays tackles consistently. Good luck getting WHE, JDG, Jamie or Stevo to run anyone down if the ball gets into the opposition's hands in our front half - after Brown's 78 tackles the next best forward-of-centre player is Mihocek with 41, then Thomas 40, Varcoe 40, JDG 33, WHE 31, Jamie 28 and Stevo 26.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:14 pm

Excellent tackler- like his old man.
Quick, but not super quick- like his dad
Strong in tight situations- like his old man
Creative with cleaver handball- like his dad
Instinctive goal kickers- like his old man.

Summing up all of the above, he has the attributes of Gary Ablett Junior with a dash of Diesel Williams thrown in.

Callum did a lot of sprint work over summer- if he continues that, he may well pick up another yard of pace. Also, he is on a very solid weights regime for his highs and hamstrings which should enable his kicking distance to improve by anywhere between 5 and 15metres which would make him lethal in the forward 50.

Exponential growth will see him become an elite small forward/on-baller.
Much to like with this one (and his brother is equally driven to be a successful AFL player).

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:29 pm

Quote:
Putting aside the fact that Brown is one of the 5 most skillful players in our side, he is the only one in the forward half who lays tackles consistently.

I've often wanted to comment on this. The kid doesn't stop chasing.
In fact, he seems to spend large chunks of the game chasing and harassing players who are in the process of moving the ball on. So there's little chance of a turnover.
As a result, he expends much energy for little gain.

He's clearly been told to play a pressure role and, as you suggest, if he doesn't do it, who will?
But 15 minutes into a game you'll see him bent over double, gasping for air.
The kids either going to build a massive tank or blow a gasket.

p.s. Agree with everything warburton lad says except the "Strong in tight situations- like his old man". I've seen bigger bodies shrug him off with ease.
He might have the mind of a pitbull (like his old man) but his body will need a few years to catch up.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:33 pm

Did anyone else appreciate his left foot kick under pressure on the boundary line to pin point a target inside our forward fifty last night ?
From a young player, it was one of the kicks of the season.
Other than a long kick, there’s not much this kid can’t do.
He’s a serious talent.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Did anyone else appreciate his left foot kick under pressure on the boundary line to pin point a target inside our forward fifty last night ?
Other than a kick long, there’s not much this kid can’t do.
He’s a serious talent.

Absolutely sublime. Was on the top deck of the Ponsford behind the goals and it was a joy to behold.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:46 am

^Inteteresting you mentioned the sprint work, Warburton Lad, as the improvement in his first 10-15m has been noticeable. That's all a future gun mid needs — see one D. Swan.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:03 am

Pies2016 wrote:
He’s a serious talent.

Highlight of the night. A player with his grunt, ball winning ability, tackling pressure but also acceleration, agility and beautiful foot skills is a special combination. Has really surprised me this season and raised his ceiling a few feet at least.

35reasons 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:47 am

Pies2016 wrote:
He’s a serious talent.

I pointed that out to my kids as we sat and watched from on high. And he weaved a bit through some traffic too, I seem to recall.

It was sublime.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: