Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Rupert! Keep your hands to yourself!"

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
He’s now played the grand total of ELEVEN AFL matches.
The guy has had no luck with injuries. He needs continuity and like most players who come into the game with some ability, he should continue to improve the more he plays at that level.
I think “ atrocious “ handballing is a bit harsh. 20 touches ( 12 handballs ) and went at 80% efficiency.
I accept he can put team mates under pressure with a hit and hope release but when you’ve only played eleven games at that level, most players are still finding their feet.

I didn’t say his handballing was atrocious. I said his ballhandling is atrocious. He isn’t clean at all getting his hands on the pill. His disposal is good enough when he does get the ball under control.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:37 am

Btw, of those now 12 matches, dating back to his debut in rnd 19, 2016, we've won 9 and lost only 3. He's been in teams that have beaten West Coast twice, but not this year or last year. He's flattered by being in winning games against the current #10, #14, #15, #16, #17 & #18 teams... but I digress.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:08 am

Pies2016 wrote:
The guy has had no luck with injuries. He needs continuity and like most players who come into the game with some ability, he should continue to improve the more he plays at that level.
I think “ atrocious “ handballing is a bit harsh. 20 touches ( 12 handballs ) and went at 80% efficiency.
I accept he can put team mates under pressure with a hit and hope release but when you’ve only played eleven games at that level, most players are still finding their feet.

Amazing. He has played just 11 games. I think his game against Adelaide was fantastic. He smashed the Adelaide mids with his tackles and imposed a physical presence that we have sorely lacked for a long time. His physicality and strength has ignited the talents of Pendles, Adam T and Sidey, which lie mainly on the outside. I did not notice much "atrocious" handballing, or even ball handling from Wills during the game. But even if his ball handling was not elite, this is not so significant in comparison with the quality he provides: brute force, physicality on the opposition and ferocious contests for possession, giving us time to reconfigure and prevent a damaging oppositin clearance. With only 11 games under the belt, he is on an upward curve from here, especially as his confidence grows. I am rapt for him, and rapt for us. He is providing the extra ingredient that we have missed for most of this year.

E 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:28 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Amazing. He has played just 11 games. I think his game against Adelaide was fantastic. He smashed the Adelaide mids with his tackles and imposed a physical presence that we have sorely lacked for a long time. His physicality and strength has ignited the talents of Pendles, Adam T and Sidey, which lie mainly on the outside. I did not notice much "atrocious" handballing, or even ball handling from Wills during the game. But even if his ball handling was not elite, this is not so significant in comparison with the quality he provides: brute force, physicality on the opposition and ferocious contests for possession, giving us time to reconfigure and prevent a damaging oppositin clearance. With only 11 games under the belt, he is on an upward curve from here, especially as his confidence grows. I am rapt for him, and rapt for us. He is providing the extra ingredient that we have missed for most of this year.

i have been a big knocker of Rupert Wills. However, I agree with this assessment. His physical presence was absolutely terrific this weekend. I saw, maybe for the first time, a real future for this kid. He doesn't just hit, he obliterates packs. When he wants the ball, it is basically his. I think he hurts oipposition mids as well (which is a key to slowing them down). He and Adams are making a really good 1-2 punch in the stoppages (and it is giving Treloar more confidence to explode away from packs as he doesnt need to worry about extraction anymore (did anyone also notice how dangerous treloar looked on the weekend, especially in the second half).

I think his improvement lies in his ball usage, not in his ball handling. It is the nature of an inside mid to be unable to take clean possession every time. too much pressure. Only the best of the best are clean in and under and i think we can all agree Wills is not in the best of the best.

Look, at the end of the day, the Sier/Wills midfield role is vital for us. One of them needs to be in the team. Previuously, i thought the gap bewtween the two was insurmountably large (meaning Sier's absence is sorely felt). I dont feel quite as bad about that anymore.

Hope he keeps improving as his confidence grows. I wish he would do something with his hair so that he doesnt have to tend to it, while he is playing. must be a distraction!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:46 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

I didn’t say his handballing was atrocious. I said his ballhandling is atrocious. He isn’t clean at all getting his hands on the pill. His disposal is good enough when he does get the ball under control.

My apologies, dyslexia runs in the family 😉
( and I still had to read your above post twice )
Yes, he did fumble badly a couple of times. Maybe that’s part of why he went at around 70 in the draft. His real strength is in close. He’s really hard to get around if he gets in front and he has a great second effort to back it up.
Anything after that is a bonus. Blue collar Rupert sits well with him.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:54 am

We discuss Sier and Wills and I like both tho lean towards Rupert

He is for one in bullocking and intimidating with his vigour—he’s proactive and extrovert

Sier a slight better with ball use but I feel him introvert and he aren’t scared but less pack work

My opinion only

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Interesting comparison. Sier has only played 18 career games which is easily forgotten.

I think Sier has a very quick, powerfull clearing handball that few have however Wills is a beast when it comes to tackling - he tackles to hurt.

Wills also in his earlier games this season spent more time forward which he didn't do well. Its only been since his last few games where he has spent more time in the middle that he has started to bring his strengths to the team.

Player Statistics Comparison 2019
Brayden Sier Rupert Wills

Sier Stats for Season Wills
6 Games 6
5.8 Kicks 6.0
8.5 Handballs 10.0
14.3 Disposals 16.0
0.7 Marks 2.7
3.7 Tackles 6.2
2.2 Inside 50s 1.7
8.2 Contested Possessions 7.2
6.3 Uncontested Possessions 9.5
8.8 Effective Disposals 13.2
61.5% Disposal Efficiency % 82.5%
3.0 Clearances 2.5
0.2 One Percenters 1.5
1.2 Center Clearances 1.2
1.8 Stoppage Clearances 1.3
2.3 Score Involvements 3.7
149.0 Meters Gained 106.3

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Good possie to be in with both going forward 😃

We need (A) continuous get better with ball use and reading the game
And (B) if they both become valueable to the team a way to have them together

Both good but still work in progress

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:20 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

So true and hopefully oppo haven't noticed too much yet.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:54 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:

His physicality and strength has ignited the talents of Pendles, Adam T and Sidey, which lie mainly on the outside. ..
But even if his ball handling was not elite, this is not so significant in comparison with the quality he provides: brute force, physicality on the opposition and ferocious contests for possession, giving us time to reconfigure and prevent a damaging oppositin clearance.

This to me sums up Rupert's important value to the team. It may only be co-incidence, but we have played so much better over the two weeks since he has been in the middle.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:07 pm

I reckon we now have now have 3 blokes that cause the opposition real concern over being crunched in a tackle - Rupert in the middle, Levi in the back half and Trav in the forward half.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Wills' recall to our side has totally transformed our ability to win clearances and pressure opposition mids. His bullocking, crashing and tackling has opened up space for the outside run of Treloar and Pendles. Thus, he is doing much, much more than his stats would suggest. I actually saw fear in the eyes of Sloane as Wills came in to smash him to the ground.

Of course, Adams return to form after such a long injury layoff has also been a factor, but to my eye, Wills' contribution has been totally transformative of our midfield as a whole.

Furthermore, he is doing exactly what I had hoped Sier would do, be a ferocious battering ram. He has just played himself into a contract extension imo.

Well done Rupe!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:57 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I reckon we now have now have 3 blokes that cause the opposition real concern over being crunched in a tackle - Rupert in the middle, Levi in the back half and Trav in the forward half.

....plus Maynard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: