Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

13 Moneyball Player Opportunities for Trade Period

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:39 pm
Post subject: 13 Moneyball Player Opportunities for Trade PeriodReply with quote

The Jordan Roughead trade for pick 75 just goes to show there can be both:

* position specific players and
* bargain basement players

available without having to give up too much. Combined with recent salary dump trades such as Hannebery to Saints and Scully to the Hawks, it's fair to surmise that despite no first round draft pick this year, there is some real gold nuggets ready to be mined if list management are sharp and creative enough.

So what do we need? Injuries, form, availability and performances suggest we need:

1. Key tall forward: Cox is 29 next year and despite some great cameos, he has never kicked over 30 goals in a season and his lack of ground ball mobility is a constant hindrance.

2. Crumbing forward: we lack a Charlie Cameron, Tom Papley or Liam Ryan type whom tackles, chases, crumbs off packs and could kick 35+ goals per year.

3. Small defender who kicks in: Obviously Sam Murray was the logical selection to fulfil this gap going into 2018 and we shall likely see him cop a 2-4 year suspension any moment.

4. Key back: W Kelly has barely played Reserves in his debut year, Moore has been... well Moore. Dunn and Goldsack shall retire and Roughead is closer to 30 than 20.

OPTIONS AND TARGETS:

It maybe impossible to solve all needs in one trade and draft period especially with bona fide champions. However, with al of the recent pre-trade speculation in the media, these players below seem gettable and help bridge the weaknesses we have. They all come with some baggage depending which side of the fence you sit on, but consider:

1. J.Jenkins:

From the Crows. Has kicked 40+ goals the last 5 years. Has had a falling out with Don Pyke (but who hasn't) and is a youngish 30, having debuted at 23 post a trade from Bombers. Apparently on a salary north of $550,000 for the next two years, but am sure with Ned Guy's propensity to offer the "extra year" on slightly less annual terms and the Crows desire to get him out, may mean our Pick 31 or worse could get it done. Rumours are the Pies and Hawks have shown interest.

2. Mason Wood:

From the Roos. Drafted in the 2012 year when we took Ben Kennedy instead, I've always monitored Wood and when not injured, has displayed enormous ability and upside. At 192cm he can play tall and is agile enough to play similarly to Mihocek, albeit with a fraction more talent and skill. Was reported yesterday that the Roos are open to putting him up for trade this year, 12 months out before he was a free agent.

3. Dan Butler:

From the Tigers, killed us in 2018 in the 2 home and away games and showed a Mark LeCras knack of finding the goals amidst providing that much vaunted forward pressure. Has struggled with injury and continuity this year and may want more guaranteed match time especially given the glut of similar types at Punt Road. Also a salary cap squeeze there means he may be one they have to push out.

4. Jarrod Leinert:

From Port Power. Tall defender whom also gets plenty of the ball and a thumping kick. Played exceptionally well against us this year. Would come cheap.

5. Logan Austin:

From the Saints. Played the last half of 2018 and like Lienert, dominated possession and interceptions for the Saints. Yes, has had injury issues this year but would come cheap and can play.

6. Tom Cutler:

From the Lions. 191cm fast running defender/wingman has been on the nose with Chris Fagan this year. From Oakleigh Chargers originally and may simply be a victim of depth this season after being a mainstay the last few seasons. Only 24 years old and would come relatively cheaply. With doubts on Langdon's longevity, may be a handy upgrade.

7. Ben Keays:

From the Lions. Was rated the best junior footballer in Queensland before graduating from the Academy onto Brisbane's list. Dominates in the NEAFL week in week out collecting 30+ possessions and multiple goals. Jack Crisp part 2 perhaps??

8. Lewis Taylor:

From the Lions again. Former Rising Star winner whose career has stalled under Fagan. Can run and kick goals as he has done several times against us. Likely to leave this trade season.

9. Harley Bennell:

OKAY OKAY OKAY! I know what the feedback might be on this one. Would it be worth doing a Sydney Stack (come for the Pre-Season and we decide in March supplementary list upgrades?). No trade needed as he is a delisted free agent and would be on minimum wages. Compare this potential "rent try buy" flexibility we have versus the Daniel Wells "pay me $550,000 for 3 years and I'll sign" arrangement. Worth consideration.

10. Cam McCarthy:

From the Dockers. Would arrive with baggage and historically doesn't "travel well". Either did Jonno Marsh but he returned to Melbourne. McCarthy has undoubted ability, maybe available but a late pick only to mitigate the risk.

11. Jack Leslie:

Current rookie listed player on Gold Coast list. Genuine ability so you question whether it's the Suns culture hindering his development. Former Gippsland Power player so a Victorian homecoming maybe just the tonic. Would be free and no trade necessary. 198cm and 24 years of age with an ability to play forward and back, are impressive stats.

12. Colin O'Riordan:

Irish recruit whose played 15 games for the Swans. Fast, great kick and an Adam Saad type. Maybe contracted but plays a style and a position we have gaps in.

13. Adam Tomlinson:

From GWS is the ultimate utility whom can play tall as a defender or small as a running wingman best exemplified in the 2017 Finals series. High wage but no trade needed.

Conclusion:

The value we have had got from both Roughead and Mihocek vs what we gave up for them should never be forgotten. Pick 75 and a Rookie selection, yet these two players are now pillars of our side. Compared to Darcy Moore (Pick 9) and Daniel Wells ($1,600,000+ for 3 years), it merely reminds us all that there is "VALUE" where you least expect to find it.

Am sure Ned Guy, Matt Rendell and Derek Hine are all over this space given that is their daily brief, however I just hope we can be extra creative this trade period given the limitations of no first round draft selection available.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your work
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:48 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
I like your work

I have no life Smile

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:18 pm

You could certainly never be accused of not doing your homework, 88.

You could probably add Greenwood from the crows to that list.

I wouldn’t mind Butler at the club. Proven regular goal kicker and fills a significant void. Would be playing every week at 16 other clubs. He applies good defensive pressure too.
Premiership player sounds good but there are plenty who drop off after they have climbed that mountain. The club would want to be convinced he is still hungry for more success.
VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:57 am

Great work. I now know more!!!
CrossPie18 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:41 am

Really good thread idea and a great list.

A couple of big guys who have a history of being able to stay on the park should be priorities.

Josh Jenkins gets too many goals through Joe the Goose for me. Doesn’t exert his physical presence. I like the idea of McCarthy, who is mobile, but inconsistent (who wouldn’t be as a forward in Lyon’s game plan?). Wood might be worth a punt too, but I think he’s had a history of injuries.

No to Bennell - we have enough injuries and behavioural issues.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:07 pm
Post subject: Re: 13 Moneyball Player Opportunities for Trade PeriodReply with quote

I feel like Jenkins has had it. I'd rather go for Walker.

Mason Wood is an interesting call. Still only 25, but had a crap run with injuries. Has a solid build and can mark and goal. Def worth a look.

Dan Butler doesn't fill an urgent need. He only played in the one game against us last year where he kicked 3 goals. Against us this year he had 8 disposals. Sometimes playing in a flag can overhype the player. I'm not convinced he is that good.

Tom Cutler is an absolute beast. Look at him. If he isnt getting a game with Brisbane, then we should have a look. But dealing with the Lions again.... #puke

Dont know what to think with Lewis Taylor. He can get the ball and is a goal sneak. Why is he not getting a game now? Cant stand him really. Still only 24, but is he Josh Greene mkII?

Harley Bennell.... Sheesh. Remember when John Bennell was running around in the VFL side? I thought he had something, but never broke into the seniors. Harley was very good with the Suns, but his time with Freo is very forgettable. Sure, bring him down, give him a look over. But I doubt we'd be that into him. But look at Andy Krakouer.

Cam McCarthy. Forget about him.

Adam Tomlinson is the free agent we need. Get him.

Leinert, Austin, Keays, Leslie and O'Riordan are names I dont know much about.

But how about this guy:

Jonathon Ceglar. 28 years old. Can back up Grundy and play FF. Will be offered more game time with teams like St Kilda, but if he comes cheap, he fills a need and gives us some relief in ruck stocks. Would he want to come back here though as it was Bucks who gave him the chop.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:29 pm
Post subject: Re: 13 Moneyball Player Opportunities for Trade PeriodReply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
... I'd rather go for Walker. ...

Lee? Isn't he too old... and (sshhh) injury-prone? ("There are no injuries at Collingwood," our Board says.)

inxs88 wrote:
9. Harley Bennell:

OKAY OKAY OKAY! I know what the feedback might be on this one. ...

Yup. And you also know the feedback is right on the money.

This problem is a form of gambling addiction that has gripped our recruiters.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:39 pm

K wrote:
Presti35 wrote:
... I'd rather go for Walker. ...

Lee? Isn't he too old... and (sshhh) injury-prone? ("There are no injuries at Collingwood," our Board says.)

inxs88 wrote:
9. Harley Bennell:

OKAY OKAY OKAY! I know what the feedback might be on this one. ...

Yup. And you also know the feedback is right on the money.

This problem is a form of gambling addiction that has gripped our recruiters.

think I am addicted too Smile

K 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Collingwood: "Aaww.... If he can just get his body right, he could be anything."
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:40 pm

I'll be interested to see what happens with Sam Weideman over off season. The whisper a while back was he wasn't happy t Melbourne and was going to seek a trade to Collingwood once his contract ended this year.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'll be interested to see what happens with Sam Weideman over off season. The whisper a while back was he wasn't happy t Melbourne and was going to seek a trade to Collingwood once his contract ended this year.

But he signed an extension

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Bugger, I didn't know that
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:39 pm

Tomlinson. Rest are shit
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:15 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I wouldn’t mind Butler at the club. Proven regular goal kicker and fills a significant void. Would be playing every week at 16 other clubs. He applies good defensive pressure too.

Premiership player sounds good but there are plenty who drop off after they have climbed that mountain. The club would want to be convinced he is still hungry for more success.

Also helps that he grew up barracking for Collingwood as a kid Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: