Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Swanny says training ground is too hard

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BUCKS THE GREATEST 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:00 pm
Post subject: Swanny says training ground is too hardReply with quote

Listening to the podcast with Sam Newman Don Scott and Mike Sheahan and Swanny like most of us gathered says the training ground is way to hard and it’s where our soft tissue injuries are coming from. Wish they would dump the stupid ground asap and do a preseason at Vic Park. What a terrible investment
themonk 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:03 pm
Post subject: Re: Swannie says training ground is too hardReply with quote

BUCKS THE GREATEST wrote:
Listening to the podcast with Sam Newman Don Scott and Mike Sheahan and Swannie like most of us gathered says the training ground is way to hard and it’s where our soft tissue injuries are coming from. Wish they would dump the stupid ground asap and do a preseason at Vic Park. What a terrible investment

Swan is the new T. Shaw Rolling Eyes
Redlight 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our injury toll since 2012 has been outrageous and Swan's in a good position to judge. If he claims the ground is too hard then it would be foolish to ignore his claim.

The club is rich enough to resurface the training ground. If it would help, even if it would probably help, then they should get to it and stop stonewalling.

Constantly sending stars to see an unproven German 'guru' is a poor substitute.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:38 pm

Melbourne Storm are training on it right now, so let's wait and see what happens!

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:38 pm

But what exactly did he say?
K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:39 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Melbourne Storm are training on it right now, so let's wait and see what happens!

Training on it once is probably safe, unless it's a minefield!
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:48 pm

Dane.jpg

K 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:36 pm

Swan said the ground was too hard for him to train in boots.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:13 am

Would any of us be really surprised?

Our spike in soft tissue injuries seems to coincide with our move to Olympic Park does it not?

K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:40 am

What was the land used for before we started training there?
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:42 am

Of the older VFL clubs am curious if just us may be experiencing soft tissue injuries increase

We moved from Vic Park and Bombers have The Hanger (an undercover plus open ) facility

Tigers still train where they have trained probably since Federation and Geelong also

These two still on old training facilities versus us and Bombers would be an interesting comparison on this type of injury

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:44 am

K wrote:
What was the land used for before we started training there?

Here's Luke Mason's piece from 9 April 2013: https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2013-04-09/new-oval-open-for-business

It appears from the article that the land was originally developed by John Wren, used for three VFA Grand Finals in the 1920s, turned into the "Motordome" in 1924 (used primarily for speedway, motorcycle and slidecar racing) - although it seems Melbourne played three home games there in 1932, hosted an exhibition game between South Melbourne and Richmond in 1935, was sold after World War II, and converted into Olympic Park. It seems the Olympic Park Stadium was built in the lead up to to the 1956 Olympics and demolished in 2012. So, for nearly 60 years before the present training ground the land was the site of the Olympic Park Stadium.

There's a bit more about the ground's early use here: http://demonwiki.org/Motordrome

and here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motordrome_(Melbourne)

and here: https://www.oldbikemag.com.au/the-murder-drome/

The last of those articles suggests that the land was used as the Amateur Sports Ground from about 1909 before being leased to Wren's Melbourne Carnivals Pty Ltd in 1923 and developed as the Motordome. Since this was obviously Crown Land, we should be able to trace the history of the site through the Victoria Government Gazette. I have done this for other Crown Land reserves back to the mid 19th century in serious litigation, so it might be a change to do so without someone having their ownership of some major Australian landmark or other riding on my research and XXN.

I saw a couple of soccer games there - at least Australia v Norway and a game between a Melbourne team (I could not now say whether it was one of the current teams or the old - and mercifully brief - Collingwood Warriors) and Brisbane.

I note also that the 'pies apparently didn't train there until April 2013 (Luke Mason's 9 April 2013 article says that Collingwood "will christen the new oval with its first training session on the ground from 10 am" "on Thursday"), so injuries prior to that time cannot be attributed to the training ground, whatever the position might be in the 6 and a half years since.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:46 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I note also that the 'pies apparently didn't train there until April 2013 (Luke Mason's 9 April 2013 article says that Collingwood "will christen the new oval with its first training session on the ground from 10 am" "on Thursday"), so injuries prior to that time cannot be attributed to the training ground, whatever the position might be in the 6 and a half years since.

Re. Gosch's Paddock, the Melb. & Olympic Parks Trust says: "The Number 1 Oval served as Collingwood Football Club's training ground between 2007-12."

When the training ground thing came up in April last year, Steele said this.
Quote:

Asked point blank if the Holden Centre - the Pies' own purpose-built facility - was too hard, Collingwood vice-captain Sidebottom said the issue had been raised.

"I actually had this discussion with Reidy today," Sidebottom told 3AW last night.

"For me, when I'm running on a footy field the surface is the last thing I worry about and it doesn't affect me.

"But there's definitely been talk from a few of our guys that it can get hard ... It mightn't be the best ground out there but for me personally it's fine. But I suppose it's just something we're going to have to deal with."

Pies4shaw wrote:
Since this was obviously Crown Land, we should be able to trace the history of the site through the Victoria Government Gazette. I have done this for other Crown Land reserves back to the mid 19th century in serious litigation, so it might be a change to do so without someone having their ownership of some major Australian landmark or other riding on my research and XXN.

In DTM's BF thread, poster FH says this.

Quote:

The entire Olympic Park Oval sits on top of a massively huge concrete tank that practically is the diameter of the entire oval that is one of the storages for the stormwater harvesting system that collects, treats then supplies all the water for the whole sports precinct and stadiums...I know because my dad was the one who designed and built it. And theres only half a metre of topsoil between the turf and the top of it. Which isnt much padding really. Like i said earlier its basically like training full time at Etihad, actually they have 1 metre of soil between the concrete slab of the roof of the carpark and the turf, so bit softer than our olympic oval 😂

Its no surprise to the club they received all the geotechnical reports when the ground was redeveloped and another engineering report that was done on the ground only a couple of years ago?

K 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:05 am

bokka wrote:
OF course the question is that jsut luck? Now reports that our training ground is too hard. If that's the case get a different f-ing training ground or spend a million dollars resurfacing, you f-ing idiots. And cut back on bargain basement recruiting of injury prone or way past their prime players, jsut asking for trouble.

I'd like to know how much it would cost. Maybe it depends what you do. If FH is right that there's "only half a metre of topsoil between the turf and the top", you might want to raise the whole surface by another metre. How much does adding a metre of topsoil over 1.6 hectares cost?

The other thing is that our club doesn't own the ground, so I guess there'd need to be agreement from others (Melb. & Olympic Parks Trust?).
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:58 pm

^That is no less than what the MCG has, maybe it's from excessive playing at the 'G'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: