Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2020 List Revamp Options

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:54 am
Post subject: 2020 List Revamp OptionsReply with quote

Ok, I am going early here but I admire Geelong being aggressive and bold last October/November when it came to delisting, trading and recruiting in players for needs vs simply hoping that Einstein's Theory would reverse. Off you go Menzel, bye bye Horlin-Smith, Gregson, Black etc... Hello Rohan, welcome Dallhaus, off to the forward line Gary (nor arguing), back to the magoos S Selwood, Henderson and Z Smith etc...

This week the club said "NOTHING TO SEE HERE" regarding our injury PANDEMIC. Holden Centre ground is fine, our fitness guru Kevin Whatshisname is fine, physio and recovery are all fine.... Therefore it's all sheer bad luck and/or genetic. So clear out via:

Retirement:

Wells: $500,000 saved
Reid: $400,000 saved
Varcoe: $350,000 saved
Goldack: $300,000 saved
Dunn: $300,000 saved
Broomhead: $250,000 saved

Delist:

Crocker: $250,000 saved
Wills: $275,000 saved

Trade/Free agent offload:

* Elliott: $400,000 saved
* Moore: $550,000 saved (Bulldogs seem keen)

Sack:

* Murray: $275,000 saved (drugs)

Total Savings:

$3,850,000

Recontract and Extend:

* DeGoey: from $700,000 to $900,000/year
* Grundy: from $666,000 to $1,100,000/year

Draft Picks:

* Get the Bulldogs pick 10 & 28 for Moore
* Elliott may get us a pick in late 20's if a club offers enough
* We have pick 31, 49, 67, 85
* Draft talls only!!!

Trade In's:

* Chase Brad Hill from Freo (he is a gun): okay yes he is ANOTHER MIDFIELDER but he does what we don't do
* Tom Papley: from Swans is a gun
* Chase Adam Tomlinson from GWS: 194cm and can play key position or Wing. A free agent so comes for FREE!

Moneyball considerations:

a. Tom Cutler: Lions
b. Dan Butler: Tigers
c. Kennedy Harris: Dees
d. Lienert: Port
e. S Mayes: Port (was a gun in 2014 at Lions)
f. Narkle: Geelong

Result:

1. Rid ourselves of the genetically injured crop
2. Salary Cap restored
3. Retain our two best players long-term: Grundy and DeGoey
4. Access additional 1st and 2nd Round draft picks

Yes we lose a pillar and potential champion in Moore, however like many, I simply can't see him playing more games than Ben Reid and that is a paltry 149 in 13 seasons. That's correct, Ben shall finish his Pies career with an 11 games per season average! Trade Moore before he ends up the same way.

VicParkTragic 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just your ‘retirements’, ‘delist’ and ‘sacking’ comes to 9 which within itself lends itself to mega recruiting space. I’d only trade the others if the deal is mega good.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:34 pm

F W I W this year is a poor draft for talls. Even the most highly regarded are considered speculative. If you accumulated a couple decent picks from trading, you would probably prefer to invest that in a ( tall ) player who has been in the system for a while.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:57 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
F W I W this year is a poor draft for talls. Even the most highly regarded are considered speculative. If you accumulated a couple decent picks from trading, you would probably prefer to invest that in a ( tall ) player who has been in the system for a while.

Cheers. Haven't gone deep into Cal Twomey's Road to the Draft yet.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:58 pm

VicParkTragic wrote:
Just your ‘retirements’, ‘delist’ and ‘sacking’ comes to 9 which within itself lends itself to mega recruiting space. I’d only trade the others if the deal is mega good.

All up I've got it at 11 Smile

be bold and brave Ned Guy

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:43 pm

Isn’t wells on minimum wage?
K 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:00 pm

^ Certainly not (unless you mean something else by "minimum").
spirit-of-alby 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:05 pm

Don't disagree with the idea at all...or the players you mention. But there is no way that Crocker, Murray, Broomhead or Goldsack are on the money you mention
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:27 pm

I'd retain Moore. As much as I've been frustrated by his history of injuries, he is still young enough to get his body right, which would make him a superstar, if he's not already the AA CHB.

Cox is the one I'd be trading. While he can be terrific when he 'is on', he simply cannot be relied upon to be a contributor each week, which is what we need.
Achilles 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:32 pm

I'd like to see Wells go another year. Pay him the least we legally can. He owes us.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:40 pm

Achilles wrote:
I'd like to see Wells go another year. Pay him the least we legally can. He owes us.

He is supposed to be on that already this year, still ends up at around $150,000 a game, just like last season...

He needs to go

Its time for a clean out, its the biggest thing lacking from Buckleys tenure, he was too proud to bottom out, so he kept stacking up on ready made players, trading out future draft picks then the next year we drop down the ladder...

They need to trade a couple of players who are worth first round picks who want to leave anyway in Moore and Grundy and rebuild, at least if they look to be rebuilding people will back off. But the fact is over the 8 years he has been coach, they've always been targeting quick fixes and that's why people get upset. When we drop down the ladder, another club benefits because we already traded our picks!
K 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:43 pm

The minimum possible salary would be to a rookie's, which is just above $100,000. There's no way he's going to be on the rookie list next year.

No one said he's even on minimum non-rookie salary now.
T2 Sagittarius

T2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:26 pm

Great post. Would probably lean towards Tomlinson of the names thrown up to recruit as we are lacking in KPPs. Reid is done (sadly), Moore too injury-prone (and possibly traded out), and Cox - while I truly want to believe he is part of the solution - has his limitations.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:53 pm
Post subject: Re: 2020 List Revamp OptionsReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Retirement:

Wells: $500,000 saved
Reid: $400,000 saved
Varcoe: $350,000 saved
Goldsack: $300,000 saved
Dunn: $300,000 saved
Broomhead: $250,000 saved

Broomhead will try to go on. Maybe Crows or Power might offer a rookie spot? Otherwise a return to the SANFL could be on the cards.

Reid might get a shot with the Suns? But rumour is they are looking at Roughead and Burgoyne, so maybe not?

I wouldn't be against one of the older guys moving to the rookie list.

inxs88 wrote:
Delist:
Crocker: $250,000 saved
Wills: $275,000 saved

Probably both right. Essendon might show some interest in Wills as they have a big need for an inside midfielder.

inxs88 wrote:
Trade/Free agent offload:

* Elliott: $400,000 saved
* Moore: $550,000 saved (Bulldogs seem keen)

Here's where the big calls come. As mentioned in the other thread, we should at least look at what the Bulldogs, or any other club, would give up for Moore. Elliott is about to play his 100th game, but we cannot offer more than 2 years. If another club offers 3, then let him go and see if we get a compo pick (we might not if we sign another FA). I'm sure he can still bring the x-factor, but a new club could be a fresh start for him. I've also heard that the Saints are interested in Cox. We'll see if anything comes out in the media on that one.

inxs88 wrote:
Sack:

* Murray: $275,000 saved (drugs)

Well we'll see what his suspension is in a few weeks. I think he was showing enough, but a year has passed. Interesting call coming.

inxs88 wrote:
Recontract and Extend:

* DeGoey: from $700,000 to $900,000/year
* Grundy: from $666,000 to $1,100,000/year

100% need this to happen.

inxs88 wrote:
Trade In's:

* Chase Brad Hill from Freo (he is a gun): okay yes he is ANOTHER MIDFIELDER but he does what we don't do
* Tom Papley: from Swans is a gun
* Chase Adam Tomlinson from GWS: 194cm and can play key position or Wing. A free agent so comes for FREE!

Would love to get Hill. Tomlinson fills a need and is a good fit I think. I'd like to find out if Ed Richards is getable. Been linked to Tex Walker but I dont think he's the answer. Jake Kelly looking to come back to Vic and could fill a need for us. Ed Langdon also looking to come home to Vic, but he's going to ask for some coin and Fremantle will be looking for a tasty trade. Coniglio is just about out of reach price wise. Would we want Petracca? Dees looking to possibly move him on, but is he worth it? Then there's Robbie Tarrant. But age is the issue there.

Would also like to find a Backup Ruck. Who that could be, I have no idea? Jacobs? Rookie list him if he's there. Just need someone thats ready to go incase of emergency.

inxs88 wrote:
Moneyball considerations:

a. Tom Cutler: Lions
b. Dan Butler: Tigers
c. Kennedy Harris: Dees
d. Lienert: Port
e. S Mayes: Port (was a gun in 2014 at Lions)
f. Narkle: Geelong

Cutler is an absolute beast. The others are not overly appealing to me, but who would have said that about Leigh Brown in 2009?

inxs88 wrote:
Result:

1. Rid ourselves of the genetically injured crop
2. Salary Cap restored
3. Retain our two best players long-term: Grundy and DeGoey
4. Access additional 1st and 2nd Round draft picks

Yes we lose a pillar and potential champion in Moore, however like many, I simply can't see him playing more games than Ben Reid and that is a paltry 149 in 13 seasons. That's correct, Ben shall finish his Pies career with an 11 games per season average! Trade Moore before he ends up the same way.

A decision on Moore is the key here. I think we'll see a lot of older guys leave the club, but if Moore was traded, we'd open up a lot of options. If he stayed fit, he's the All-Australian CHB of the competition.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:02 pm

Just heard that Mitch Brown is a free agent at the end of the season.
Bombers only want to give him a year.
In racing parlance, he’s lightly raced and in career best form.
No trade required. I would be all over him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: