Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Feminism

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:51 pm
Post subject: FeminismReply with quote

Split from 'ISIS' thread

Wokko wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
It's only the ugly ones going to fight in Syria.

Like feminists? Laughing

Met one in the last two decades? Most young women (certainly nearly all tertiary educated ones) are feminists these days. Appearance has nothing to do with it.

Last edited by David on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, what exactly makes a woman a feminist in your eyes?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:40 am

In my books, a feminist is a man or woman who:

a) believes women are disadvantaged in our society;

and

b) thinks this should be rectified.

That's the most fundamental definition, I think. It's such a broad statement that it explains why 'feminism' can mean so many different things.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:53 am

Women disadvantaged in our society hey?
Just like my mate Deans missus, decides she had enough of being with him. Been together 15yrs, 2 kids 9 & 7.
She's disadvantaged by only getting 67.5% of everything.
My , poor disadvantaged ex missus got pretty much everything.
Poor things.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:05 pm

So, evidently you are not a feminist. Laughing
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:12 pm

David wrote:
So, evidently you are not a feminist. Laughing

Nah, Skids is just his mate Dean isn't.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:24 pm

Feminists these days are special snowflakes who want life with all rewards, no consequences, no responsibility and a leg up from daddy government. Under what metrics are women in society disadvantaged? Not on health, life expectancy, reproductive rights and success, legal and justice issues, education, employment etc etc. A case could be made for domestic violence, but then you could respond with family court and access and the huge numbers of men commiting suicide.

A toxic ideology, from the temperance movement to the current crop of overly moralistic social justice warriors.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:27 pm

Well, this is going well already!

Hmm. I rode motor bikes as a kid, first cos I liked a guy who did, then I ditched him, bought a bike, then I did an apprenticeship so I could fix it and meet Peter Brock. Sold the bike, bought a rescue horse, had a cup of coffee and a good old chat with Brocky when he came into GMH one day (still a highlight of my life! My boss arranged it, he was awesome, he used to run the HDT)

Now, well I've been scrubbing walls and tiles all day, went to Bunnings today, looking like something the cat threw up, accidentally bought myself a really cool hammock swing thing that was on special! The dilemma, do I go home and get the ute? Hmm, no lovely guy from Bunnings gets a trolley, loads the 40kg box, waits while I go to the loo, shows me where the things I was meant to get from Bunnings for hubby were, pushed the trolley to the checkout, scans the stuff for me, I pay, he pushes the trolley to my car in the far corner of the car park, where no one else parks, waits while I put the roof down, and very carefully, loads the box into my car without scratching anything! And then he waves and takes the trolley back inside for me!

Hmm.

You can stick this feminist thing where the sun don't shine! Just call me mam!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Meanwhile I've been looking after my daughter, loading and unloading the dishwasher and finishing up the second load of clothes washing. Did the grocery shopping and am about to start dinner. All while suffering from a horrible cold (Ballarat seems to have some evil viruses).

Maybe I need feminism. Laughing
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:33 pm

think positive wrote:

Hmm. I rode motor bikes as a kid, first cos I liked a guy who did, then I ditched him, bought a bike, then I did an apprenticeship so I could fix it and meet Peter Brock. Sold the bike, bought a rescue horse, had a cup of coffee and a good old chat with Brocky when he came into GMH one day (still a highlight of my life! My boss arranged it, he was awesome, he used to run the HDT)

Now, well I've been scrubbing walls and tiles all day, went to Bunnings today, looking like something the cat threw up, accidentally bought myself a really cool hammock swing thing that was on special! The dilemma, do I go home and get the ute? Hmm, no lovely guy from Bunnings gets a trolley, loads the 40kg box, waits while I go to the loo, shows me where the things I was meant to get from Bunnings for hubby were, pushed the trolley to the checkout, scans the stuff for me, I pay, he pushes the trolley to my car in the far corner of the car park, where no one else parks, waits while I put the roof down, and very carefully, loads the box into my car without scratching anything! And then he waves and takes the trolley back inside for me!

Hmm.

Nice rant but is not connected to the thread title.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Wokko wrote:
Feminists these days are special snowflakes who want life with all rewards, no consequences, no responsibility and a leg up from daddy government. Under what metrics are women in society disadvantaged? Not on health, life expectancy, reproductive rights and success, legal and justice issues, education, employment etc etc. A case could be made for domestic violence, but then you could respond with family court and access and the huge numbers of men commiting suicide.

A toxic ideology, from the temperance movement to the current crop of overly moralistic social justice warriors.

(you forget to to add men murdering their spouses & taking their children with them. But as far as venting your spleen with sweeping generalisations you get top marks - I mean feminists made me do it).

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:44 pm

I did mention domestic violence, but I would suggest the many men who aren't allowed to even see their children, lose everything and kill themselves would be orders of magnitude higher. Also violent murder is a criminal justice issue and has nothing to do with feminists. Murder of a spouse is, was and always will be seen as abhorrent and punished accordingly. Men used to be hanged for it before the word feminist even existed.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:50 pm

Wokko wrote:
I did mention domestic violence, but I would suggest the many men who aren't allowed to even see their children, lose everything and kill themselves would be orders of magnitude higher. Also violent murder is a criminal justice issue and has nothing to do with feminists. Murder of a spouse is, was and always will be seen as abhorrent and punished accordingly. Men used to be hanged for it before the word feminist even existed.

Unfortunately, the notion that women are the property of men still exists & perpetuated by culture, religion, etc & is inextricably a part of feminism.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:54 pm

watt price tully wrote:
think positive wrote:

Hmm.

Nice rant but is not connected to the thread title.

Mate if you think that's a rant, your missus must be the quiet type!

No rant, it was pure bliss! Now open the door for me, I'll say thankyou!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:55 pm

Wiki definition of Feminism:

Feminism is a range of movements and ideologies that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, cultural, personal, and social rights for women.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.[3]

Feminist movements have campaigned and continue to campaign for women's rights, including the right to vote, to hold public office, to work, to fair wages or equal pay, to own property, to education, to enter contracts, to have equal rights within marriage, and to have maternity leave. Feminists have also worked to promote bodily autonomy and integrity, and to protect women and girls from rape, sexual harassment, and domestic violence.[4]........

There isn't anything remotely controversial in that.

I cannot understand why we get such ridiculously shrill & emotive responses from people - mystifying.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14   

Jump to: