Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Time to be COPY CATS Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:29 pm
Post subject: Time to be COPY CATS CollingwoodReply with quote

Got to give credit to Stephen Wells from Geelong whom took a 6th finishing Cats of 2018 and corrected several list inefficiencies. A club that is never content with meek finals appearances (Hello Melbourne) Wells along with Scott identified those that were expendable and recruited or pushed up players to fill gaping holes. Ironically, many of those for the CATS in 2018 mirror ours in 2019. Consider:

1. Daniel Menzel/Jamie Elliott: both fan favourites but both ravaged by season after season injuries that have made them both allergic to full time football. Unlike Menzel, Elliott would have some sort of currency via free agency and can only hope that there is an "Alan Bond" out there whom offer a "Kerry Packer" like 3 year deal that push his value up. With DeGoey and Grundy signings more critical, I think it's best we cut our losses sadly on a talent like Jamie that can't get it done.

2. Grien Miers Luke Dalhaus: lacked forward pressure and went out and got their men. We currently have lost the art that we essentially invented in 2010 with Cox, Varcoe, Thomas, Mihocek and Hoskin Elliott offering virtually NOTHING hence the coast to coast "give ups" to the opposition. Nathan: fix it or Derek pursue somebody to fix this.

3. Midfield: The Cats have moved Selwood and Danger out for most ballups after goals and brought Kelly, Duncan and Parfitt etc... in. Sorry Nathan but Treloar, Adams, Pendles and Sidebottom ain't getting it done all year. Over to you Crisp, Sier (step up) and others.

4. AVOID the Injured: okay so Reid, Wells, Goldsack, Broomhead, Varcoe are all likely to retire but Geelong have parked or got rid of Henderson, L McCarthy and S Selwood and moved onto fitter and more reliable players: O'Connor, Henry, Parfitt and Ratagalea. Sorry Darcy Moore but you're one more muscle ping from purgatory.

5. Don't tolerate mediocrity: The Cats have refused to gift games to underperformers such as Zac Smith, Harry Taylor, Sam Menegola and others. We refuse to drop poor form recidivists.

We have much work to do.

Last edited by inxs88 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:38 pm
Post subject: Re: Be Brave Derek Hine like Stephen Wells this OctoberReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
4. AVOID the Injured: ...

He should at least avoid recruiting more injury-prone players.

The club looks like it has a bit of a gambling addiction. "If he gets his body right, he could be a star. Let's get him."
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:39 pm
Post subject: Re: Be Brave Derek Hine like Stephen Wells this OctoberReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Got to give credit to Stephen Wells from Geelong whom took a 6th finishing Cats of 2018 and corrected several list inefficiencies. A club that is never content with meek finals appearances (Hello Melbourne) Wells along with Scott identified those that were expendable and recruited or pushed up players to fill gaping holes. Ironically, many of those for the CATS in 2018 mirror ours in 2019. Consider:

1. Daniel Menzel/Jamie Elliott: both fan favourites but both ravaged by season after season injuries that have made them both allergic to full time football. Unlike Menzel, Elliott would have some sort of currency via free agency and can only hope that there is an "Alan Bond" out there whom offer a "Kerry Packer" like 3 year deal that push his value up. With DeGoey and Grundy signings more critical, I think it's best we cut our losses sadly on a talent like Jamie that can't get it done.

2. Grien Miers Luke Dalhaus: lacked forward pressure and went out and got their men. We currently have lost the art that we essentially invented in 2010 with Cox, Varcoe, Thomas, Mihocek and Hoskin Elliott offering virtually NOTHING hence the coast to coast "give ups" to the opposition. Nathan: fix it or Derek pursue somebody to fix this.

3. Midfield: The Cats have moved Selwood and Danger out for most ballups after goals and brought Kelly, Duncan and Parfitt etc... in. Sorry Nathan but Treloar, Adams, Pendles and Sidebottom ain't getting it done all year. Over to you Crisp, Sier (step up) and others.

4. AVOID the Injured: okay so Reid, Wells, Goldsack, Broomhead, Varcoe are all likely to retire but Geelong have parked or got rid of Henderson, L McCarthy and S Selwood and moved onto fitter and more reliable players: O'Connor, Henry, Parfitt and Ratagalea. Sorry Darcy Moore but you're one more muscle ping from purgatory.

5. Don't tolerate mediocrity: The Cats have refused to gift games to underperformers such as Zac Smith, Harry Taylor, Sam Menegola and others. We refuse to drop poor form recidivists.

We have much work to do.

Post of the year!!!

I would marry this post if it was legal to do so.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:43 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
inxs88 wrote:

We have much work to do.

Post of the year!!!

I would marry this post if it was legal to do so.

"I do" Cool

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:27 pm

K wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
4. AVOID the Injured: ...

He should at least avoid recruiting more injury-prone players.

The club looks like it has a bit of a gambling addiction. "If he gets his body right, he could be a star. Let's get him."

YEP. Too many if buts and maybes

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Iit will break my heart to see Ben Reid, Goldy and Varcoe go,as they have all been such magnificent servants to the Pies and each has their own special and wonderful talents. However, I think the time is nigh.

Letting go of Jamie does more than break my heart. It devastates me, but again maybe it has to be done. What he could've been if only his body had held up! He did so much hard work even just to get on our list, let alone trying so damn hard to get his body right since then. It's an absolute tragedy in my book!

Sheeesh, these hard decisions are brutal!!!
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:07 pm

And what if they don’t win another final again this year ?
Are they still the benchmark for list management ?
I’m not saying they don’t do it well but they need to win a final or two on the MCG before I’m putting them on a pedastool.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:04 am

Pies2016 wrote:
And what if they don’t win another final again this year ?
Are they still the benchmark for list management ?
I’m not saying they don’t do it well but they need to win a final or two on the MCG before I’m putting them on a pedastool.

That would be more mental than physical if they don't.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:56 am

We're obviously still in a Window of Mediocrity, which started in 2016, with cheap premierships there for the taking.

So there's no great list or team right now, certainly not Geebung.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:02 am
Post subject: Re: Time to be COPY CATS CollingwoodReply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
Got to give credit to Stephen Wells from Geelong whom took a 6th finishing Cats of 2018 and corrected several list inefficiencies.

Well, if we had an almost full list to choose from (as Geelong has presently), it might also look as though we'd corrected list inefficiencies. In other words, it all looks great when things are going well and you have all players available for selection...

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 am
Post subject: Re: Time to be COPY CATS CollingwoodReply with quote

tbaker wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Got to give credit to Stephen Wells from Geelong whom took a 6th finishing Cats of 2018 and corrected several list inefficiencies.

Well, if we had an almost full list to choose from (as Geelong has presently), it might also look as though we'd corrected list inefficiencies. In other words, it all looks great when things are going well and you have all players available for selection...

I think you've missed the point.

Our problem is we don't ever have a full list to choose from.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:50 am

Seriously what would Moore be worth on the trade table.
I reckon a 2nd round pick...and a late one at that.
Same with Elliot but with him a 3rd round pick.
No one is going to give up decent coin for 2 perpetual player
who are always injured.
Same with the Berg. ... 3 knee reco's!
The 4 first round draft picks given up for Beams and Treloar
may well kill this club for a decade.
2 first round picks ..... only for elite high impact players and they are not!
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:51 am

who are always injured.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:56 am

masoncox wrote:
who are always injured.

All would have been forgiven if JDG went with McGovern, or if Langdon spoiled Ryan, or if Dom Sheed wasn’t left alone inside D50.

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:45 am

Serious over reaction this thread.... They are not mind readers... How will Collingwood know any new players they bring in are not just as injury prone as the players they throw out?

Yes all the dead weight of Reid/goldsack will go at end of the year but they tried replacing turn with our fit youth and they where not up to scratch

2019 Geelong could be decimated by injury in the last few weeks/finals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: