Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our ideal finals team

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that team '88.

We just need to win the remaining 3 games of the season and hope that we dont have to leave the 'G in the finals.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:33 pm

If he continues to play like he did on the weekend, then Wills is in our best 22. He was a major reason we dominated clearances. He had 18 handballs from within packs to outside players. No-one else has come close to doing that for us all year.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:22 pm

He won't continue to play like that, though, will he? That was an outlier game against the bottom team. During other matches, the Coach has been desperately trying to hide him on the bench for as much of the game as he could manage. He's played 10 games in 4 seasons. He's hardly likely to become a "best" starting 22 player overnight if there are other competent midfielders available.

The AFL's statistical analysis says that this season he has been "below average" at everything, except handballs, at which his output is "average", and tackles at which he is "above average": https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover/CD_I1001448/Wills-Rupert

He had 18 handballs, true. They weren't all from within packs to outside players, though. He only had 9 contested possessions.

It'd be great if he suddenly turned into Luke Ball and carried us into a Grand Final on the back of his defensive midfield and clearance work but we certainly should not expect that.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
If he continues to play like he did on the weekend, then Wills is in our best 22. He was a major reason we dominated clearances. He had 18 handballs from within packs to outside players. No-one else has come close to doing that for us all year.

Wills has been killing it in the VFL.

He's been a hard ball winning and tackling machine. I know the step from VFL to AFL is different. And I know the Suns are basically a VFL team themselves.

But he's been in magnificent form.

I really hope he can show this in the next three weeks and into finals.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:41 pm

Presti35 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Wills has been killing it in the VFL.

He's been a hard ball winning and tackling machine. I know the step from VFL to AFL is different. And I know the Suns are basically a VFL team themselves.

But he's been in magnificent form.

I really hope he can show this in the next three weeks and into finals.

The other thing we need to remember is that he was capable of being a decent AFL contributor a couple years ago when he last had a run at it.
There’s no obvious reason why he can’t do the same again providing he’s injury free.
The Demons will be a good test for him because they’re good at contested ball. If he can step up and do it every week, it will be a welcome bonus at the selection table.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Let's see how he goes over the next couple of weeks, before damning him shall we? If he fails to deliver, then so be it.

Fwiw, I think he offers us just what we need....just what we hoped our Grissly bear would deliver....just what our Panda failed to deliver....hard physical grunt work at the bottom of packs, getting the ball out to the silk of Treloar and Pendles.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:17 am

No one is damning him. He just isn’t that good a footballer and plotting a game plan based on him getting first use of the ball as an inside mid and functioning as the main cog of a well-oiled machine is a lot like having an imaginary friend. Forget what he did against Gold Coast - that is not going to be repeated against Geelong, West Coast or Richmond. He can be pencilled in to be a solid role player but let’s not fantasise about him turning into The Clearance Beast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: