Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies whack West Coast. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Crisp was absolutely huge. A great win, could be looked back on as the victory that led us to the flag.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:54 am

Just watching a few highlights - Mason and McGovern almost simultaneously marking the ball, but the umpire awarded the "man in front", who was Mason.
Well done to whatever umpire that was. I was beginning to think that decision had been archived.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:55 am

Fatui Attata wrote:

Big love for THE PIG. You make everyone in black & white walk taller Levi!!!

GO PIES!!!!

Yes.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:55 am

Cam wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
jatsad wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Opposite of the Grand Final, West Coast tried to hold onto a lead, no goal for over 50 minutes?

Good to steal that, probably should have won by a lot more given the extra scoring shots, but 4 very unexpected points in the bank and Cox and Mihocek back in form!

Grundy got smashed and we win, maybe dominant ruckman are overrated?

I would hardly think he was smashed. Natanui got a few early tap outs but Grundy got more of the ball and played longer minutes. He was a big reason we won in the end.

Grundy was one of the best on the ground - 31 hitouts, 22 disposals and 8 tackles. They are elite stats for a ruckman.

Nic Nat had 28 hitouts, 14 disposals and 4 tackles. They are good stats but nowhere near as good as Brodie's.

I agree with that. Fatanui will lose that spare tyre by their next matchup though.

The whole Eagles team was struggling by the end,but Nic Nat especially due to his long lay off, but for most of the game he killed him, even in the last qtr, Grundy wouldn’t even compete in the ruck half the time, just let him win it.

I still maintain, we play better when sharking opposition rucks than winning the taps that don’t go to our favour anyway!
Larry 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:10 am

Just got back from the game it was so good.
So many of them looked like they couldn’t move another step but just kept going to contest after contest.
Unfortunately I don’t think Crocker is up to it, goes to the right position just can’t win the ball.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:41 am

PyreneesPie wrote:

You've encapsulated my thoughts exactly MTTM. Except, I think it was the last 5 mins of the third quarter where the win at all costs attitude was suddenly sparked.
Who cares though - we won against all the odds and geez, that's a great feeling!!!!!! Very Happy

Dear PP, I have come to the conclusion that you and I are on the same wavelength. Thanks for your messages of encouragement to me.
I am now going to replay that third quarter to determine that turning point you suggest is in the final minutes of the 3rd quarter...with I might add, a deliciious nip of brandy in hand, and the luxurious sentiment of knowing that we go on to win the game in an utterly awe inspiring fashion. Go Pies!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:06 am

Well it’s 2am and I’m wide wake, I’m sick, m tired, amd I’m oh so happy! Wth that godawful 90 sec playing in my mind, I watch the last 90 sec tonight, and yelled, and begged and pleaded to every god on the planet, and at the siren, I howled! And laughed and sang as Degoey and Sidey whooped and hugged it out, and they all joined In, and bucks ran across the enemies battle ground to join them! How good was that! Win lose or draw I would have been proud tonight, but that was a win for the ages! God I love this club! Cheers!
MattyD 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:27 am

I thought to myself if we don't win this week, we won't have the confidence to be top 4 this year.

After a long working week for me, I went to bed halfway through the 3rd quarter. Just before drifting off to sleep, I sent my mother a message. She lives in Perth and her husband is an Eagles fan.

She's a god-fearing Christian woman and I said to her, "The Pies need divine intervention tonight."

She's a Collingwood supporter and said, "Don't worry, I'm praying for Collingwood tonight."

She never says that.

That win tonight was just what we need to get some confidence back.

I can smell the finals.

Oh, and I'll be laughing about "Fatanui" all day. Thank you to whoever said that LOL
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:19 am

With just over 12 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, they kicked their 12th goal to go ahead 12..4 to 9.4.

From then on, they scored only one point to our 2.8.

To turn the game around from that point was amazing. The belief that a win like that gives the players is what is needed come September.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:29 am

I saw a win I will never ever forget back in the day
The day was late September 1958 —-thrills me still

And last nights game will thrill me too every time I think of gutsy

So many stories last night
Roughead never put a foot wrong being the back line big
Checkers strong strong marking (the one a minute from the end❤️)
Noble to Cameron shut him down
A very serviceable game from the Yank
Mate I could go on and on —you all saw it same as me
And are just as proud

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:58 am

An amazing win- certainly a win for the ages. We showed the sort of character that got us to the GF last year and deserved the win.

Enough has been said of the efforts of our players tonight so any commentary from me would be superfluous.

Looking forward to next week when we could perhaps consider some of the following: Goldsack, Scharenberg, Howe, Varcoe, Thomas and Adams.

Outs may include Crocker and Moore (injury.)

I iike the thought of Goldsack in for the next two really tough games- he can play the 'tall' back option and release Hoskin-Elliott back forward. I'm afraid that Crocker is not quite up to the level and would select Varcoe over Thomas, or Daicos to play as a defensive forward on Heater and make him accountable on the turnover.

Still, all those conundrums are for the week ahead.

Floreat Pica

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:13 am

Well said Lad and yes drool we can over last night —-oh so sweet

But that was then and next week another battle to which we approach with the intangible

Believe,momentum and selflessness

A hard road at times being a Pie lover but wouldn’t have it any other way

Just love em

the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:15 am

Proud.
I had a feeling we would be up to it.
Never underestimate this team. We are not going to crumble after a few bad weeks and negative outside commentary.
Pure guts when we needed it.
Many players stood up that I could highlight, that as others have.
I’ll just mention one.
Sir Scott Pendlebury.
He may we’ll have broken his finger.
Kept not only playing, but playing well. That’s the leadership we needed and it’s what we got.
Go Pies
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:17 am

Surprisingly, given the rubbish that's been written on Nick's since Pendlebury and Sidebottom each had their only bad game of 2018, Collingwood's midfield thrashed the West Coast midfield last night - and they did it by slaughtering the soft West Coast mids for contested possession. There were only five players on the field who had more than 10 contested possessions - Treloar (16), Sidebottom (14), Grundy (12), Pendlebury and JDG (11 each). The two highest disposal tallies were from Treloar (39) and Sidebottom (33). The main three mids (Pendlebury, Treloar and Sidebottom) had 104 disposals between them - in last year's GF, the same three had 64.

Grundy steamrolled the West Coast rucks in the second half, of course, which made it easier. The longer the game went, the less likely a West Coast player became to get hands on the ball. We all know Natanui has a great spring and incredible athleticism. That's all very fine and interesting - but when the game was on the line, he just kept getting whacked by the B-double, so much so that he ended up nowhere to be seen while Collingwood's midfield owned territory in the last quarter. More than ever, AFL is a physical contest, rather than a game decided by demonstrations of cute skills - week after week, without any especially "pretty" runs or "ooh/aah" disposals, Grundy just grinds whatever opposition idiot they give him into the dirt.

Where the 'pies really improved from last week, though, was with ground-ball and run inside (and from) the defensive 50. The small West Coast forwards barely touched the ball in the last hour of the game. That was mainly because we played WHE on their medium marking target (so, if he couldn't mark the ball, he was never going to touch it on the ground), Maynard thrashed Darling (who, as Alan Toovey repeatedly demonstrated in his career, is actually a pea-heart), Crisp kept doing what he does to the best of his ability (so that, despite having some miserable moments in the first half of the match, he just rolled over the top of them in the last quarter) and Noble and Quaynor (despite both, at times, demonstrating a general lack of familiarity with the Coach's gameplan, which is entirely understandable) getting to the contests, repeatedly and closing down the easy ball out the back.

I don't know whether it would be fair to ask Maynard to take Darling on a warm, sunny Spring afternoon at the MCG - but his job last night was critical to the win.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:18 am

Just woke up and I'm pleased to say after reading this thread again that our miracle win was not a DREAM. Yes, it really happened. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14   

Jump to: