Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Player contract news

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Can't lose Grundy as we go Backwards very fast

More like going backwards at the speed of light...

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:04 am

Grundy is very tradable right now.

Is on the decline now. Now struggling to jump and looking like the 2011 Darren Jolly.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:05 am

IS this a Travis Cloke situation with Grundy's contract? Remember that year (2012 I think?) that derailed us? Geez I can't remember what year it was, all our bad seasons are blurring into one.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:11 am

Quite a long list of players with contracts expiring this year that look unlikely to be renewed:

Broomhead
Crocker
Dunn
Elliott
Goldsack
Madgen
Reid
Varcoe
Wells
Wills

Surely we won’t lose all of those, will we? That’s a big clear-out if so.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:24 am

^ Out of those, I think Dunn and maybe Elliott are the only ones who survive the cull.

Tough decisions need to be made.

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:49 am

^ you’re kidding right? This uninspiring insipid administration can’t make a touch decision to save itself. We’ll lose 1 or 2.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:54 am

Dunn is 32 and his knee is shot. Elliott is a 1 year contract.

Personally I think Collingwood have shot themselves in the leg spending future first rounders. If we slip out of the eight this year the Beams trade will be an official disaster.

Right now it is just a serious loss.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:33 am

The Beams trade was an official disaster when we brought Beams back, even before we gave up picks to get him. It would have been a disaster even if we'd got him back for nothing.

It wasn't like bringing Tarrant back - Tarrant was forced out by our Club. Beams left Collingwood because, for his own reasons, he would rather have been somewhere else. I'm not expressing any view about his reasons (I could not care less) - but if a bloke isn't really committed to playing for you, you rule a line through his name and move on. It was a terrible message to give the rest of our players - leave the Club against our wishes, make a bucket of money, we'll bring you back when it's convenient for you. What a crock!

And all of that's before I take into account my own opinion (which I know many of you don't share) that he isn't a top footballer.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:49 pm

^^^^
P4S forgetting about our difference in opinion on his ability let's review what you just said
So if I read this right you as a person wouldn't move jobs if one of your parents was suffering a serious illness and there was a chance they would pass away ?
Is that what your saying ?
Because if you are I think that says loads about you as a person
Forget his profession at the end of the day his a human being who made a decision about being close to a parent who was suffering cancer that's the bottom line
Now not debating the trade itself we won't agree on that you have again twisted the truth to suit your twisted bitter opinion of him
Beams never requested the trade back to Collingwood
The lions asked him mid season to extend his current deal which is when he told them of his desire to return to Melbourne after his current deal expired
At seasons end the lions realised they could land Neale long term but would need draft picks and cash
That's when they went to Dayne and his manager asking would he consider going to Melbourne if they could arrange a suitable trade.
That's when Dayne said yes but only to Collingwood fulfilling a promise he made to Eddie when he left if the first place.
You see Dayne didn't want to leave in the first place he loved Collingwood he left because of his fathers illness one which in the end led to his death.
He put his relationship with his father above staying at Collingwood and I can understand supporters not liking that that's fine mate no issue there but that was his personal choice
You seem to forget he was guaranteed a 4 year deal as a 18yr old to stay in Queensland with the Suns. He also knocked back far more lucrative offers to go to them in 2012 to stay loyal (at a reported cost of $500k a season)
I understand your a Sidey man and have always carried a grudge towards Beams but to question his integrity on why he left in first place is a low act IMO
Mate in all sincerity I hope your never put in the position in having to make a decision like Dayne had too
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:35 pm

I didn't question his integrity. I am not questioning his personal decision to leave. I simply could not care less about his integrity or his reasons for leaving. His priorities were his priorities.

The point is a very simple one. He left - for whatever reason - because he took the view something was more important than playing for Collingwood. That's fine. He is entitled to do that. At that point, though, your Club administration must recognise that he is not committed to staying. Thus, when he proposes to come back, you recognise that he's doing that because it is convenient for him.

None of those matters reflect on him as a person. As an employer, it was an absurd decision to bring him back after he'd decided - despite our best efforts to keep him - that he wanted out. The reasons he made that decision were whatever they were. They are relevant to him. They are not relevant to the Club's assessment.

To be clear, I am criticising the Club, not him. I don't blame him for wanting to leave and I don't blame him for wanting to come back. The Club, though, should not have countenanced it in any circumstances. Selling the farm to make it happen was a disaster.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:40 pm

All this will only be cleared up once we know how legit the rumours about gambling debts are and whether the mental illness is a convenient cover for other "problems".

Unfortunately for Dayne, the rumours persist and as we know, where there is smoke, there is often fire.

Time will tell all here!

Like the Essendon saga...Caro Wilson was adamant there was an issue and time proved her correct despite all the bleating from Essendon and the AFL that nothing was wrong.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:59 pm

I was happy to bring Beams back. However, I do feel that the price was too high for a player that is 29 years old. We could really use the first round pick this year.

Also, the Beams story is not closed yet.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:09 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I didn't question his integrity. I am not questioning his personal decision to leave. I simply could not care less about his integrity or his reasons for leaving. His priorities were his priorities.

The point is a very simple one. He left - for whatever reason - because he took the view something was more important than playing for Collingwood. That's fine. He is entitled to do that. At that point, though, your Club administration must recognise that he is not committed to staying. Thus, when he proposes to come back, you recognise that he's doing that because it is convenient for him.

None of those matters reflect on him as a person. As an employer, it was an absurd decision to bring him back after he'd decided - despite our best efforts to keep him - that he wanted out. The reasons he made that decision were whatever they were. They are relevant to him. They are not relevant to the Club's assessment.

To be clear, I am criticising the Club, not him. I don't blame him for wanting to leave and I don't blame him for wanting to come back. The Club, though, should not have countenanced it in any circumstances. Selling the farm to make it happen was a disaster.

Mate your making and missing my points
It wasn't he wanted to leave in his mind being with a parent with cancer was more important
The club didn't want him to go and worked hard for him not to but sometimes things in life are more important than football
We aren't going to agree on this but that's fine your opinion and mine are different
I'll put this to you
Perish the thought but what will your opinion of Grundy be if he takes the massive offers coming from SA ? Your bitter tirade on Beams should be nothing in comparison to what would simply be a player chasing the big dollar deal
I like you think the club should do whatever it takes to keep Grundy but as they say money talks
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:52 am

Just a quick comment re. the above Beams debate - Having moved State (to Qld) myself to be close to a terminally ill parent, I completely understand where Beams is coming from. My employer at the time did not want to lose me (although we're all replaceable) and offered various mechanisms of support. In the end, they assisted my move and left the door open for a return. I still live in Brisbane having met my now wife and started a family so my situation is quite different. What my comment here is, is that good employers, ones that people WANT to work for, support their employees in and through times of hardship.

I think it would have been a far worse look to the AFL players community had the club not supported Beams in his time of hardship. I understand it wasn't done for appearances but out of genuine concern and understanding, and I'm quite confident that all of us would like to work for an employer with an attitude like that.

We're all here as footy fans and sadly, sometimes we lose sight of the human element our beloved game also has.
Ads7 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:05 pm

Tom Browne reports:

Brodie Grundy has put off contract talks with Collingwood. Magpies offered him 3 years, Grundy wants 5-6.”

Surely the Club would be happy to sign him long-term. What am I missing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: