Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Howe Camp versus Stevo Camp

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ads7 wrote:
Don’t usually post but feel I need to here.

We are all frustrated about this situation. To make it worse, we are not playing well. We miss Stevo in the team. He is a unique talent. I get it.

This happened over 3 weeks ago. What’s done is done. What is the merit in bringing this up, still, when the outcome is not going to change?

The topic of this thread is ridiculous. Why try to divide two of our players, and divide us supporters? We are in a slump and we need to stick together. How about we have a fruitful discussion about how we can improve? Just a crazy idea...

FWIW, my opinion on how these events unfolded is the following. Stevo broke the rules. Badly. Not once, not twice, three times. Howe became aware of this. Howe is a leader, and clearly a person with integrity. He helped his younger teammate own up for his wrongdoing. For the people saying no one would have found out:
1. Howe knew. Both he and Stevo would have had this on their conscience. Guilt would have caught up with them.
2. If it was a throwaway line from Stevo post-match in change room then it is likely that: a) someone else heard too; and/or b) Stevo would have made another casual remark at some stage
3. Stevo’s friends knew and we know how rumours can start and get circulated
4. Most importantly, it doesn’t matter if no one else would have found out. It was wrong. Plain and simple. Black and white (apologies). Suggest some of us look up the definition of integrity. In essence, it is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

We as supporters aren’t feeling good about how we are tracking at the moment. I feel that too. I get people are here to vent their anger and sometimes like to poke blame but please consider using your energy for more purposeful discussion.

I propose we close this thread.

Side by side.

Correct weight. On the money.

lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:44 pm

duggieboy wrote:
Lihei why would you take a shot at Adz post?

Didn't you ask for discussion?

Seemed a pretty decent post to me

Strange

Do you have a particular agenda here?

Free forum broooooo. Didn’t realise it had to conform to your requirements??

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:50 pm

There is no Howe Camp..

Stepho was a dumb ass and Howe did what anyone would do. Tell him to fess up.

Let's stop trying to find reason to excuse Stepho

He's ruined our season.....the kid should be made to feel accountable for the current issues.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 pm

David wrote:
tbaker wrote:
David wrote:
^ No one would have found out. Right. Must be why no player ever has been done for betting before. Guess Heath Shaw’s eight-week ban was a figment of my imagination.

So it sounds as though you believe that every current player that has ever betted on AFL matches has been caught - and most of them just so happen to be Collingwood players. It'd be incredibly naive to think that all betters have been caught, and the rest of the AFL players are squeaky clean...

No, I didn’t say that. It might well be the case that only 50% get caught. Or perhaps much less. But it’s patently untrue to say that there was no significant chance that he would have been caught, because there have been a number of cases of players getting done for AFL bets. See the list below:
https://www.sportsradio.com.au/betting-history-stephenson-the-latest-in-a-long-list-of-afl-wagering-breaches/

There is no non-Collingwood player (there are non-Collingwood coaches) on that list. (Melksham was cleared of betting, but fined for lying. He said he'd lied because he just panicked after his experience of all the Essendon drug stuff that came before.)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:55 pm

You missed Simon Goodwin, and also Crisp was still at Brisbane at the time the bets were placed. But that wasn’t really relevant to my point anyway. If you think the AFL has an anti-Collingwood agenda here (and I know many here do), then that’s all the more reason to worry that Stephenson would eventually be caught.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:06 pm

David wrote:
You missed Simon Goodwin, and also Crisp was still at Brisbane at the time. But that wasn’t really relevant to my point anyway. If you think the AFL has an anti-Collingwood agenda here . ...

Wasn't Goodwin's charge when he was a coach, not a player? Crisp's offence was at Brisbane, but the charge was brought in his first year at Collingwood. (A nice wedding present from the AFL, I recall.)

Well, the alternative (to the anti-Collingwood agenda) is that only Pies players gamble (on AFL)...

Last edited by K on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:07 pm

You don’t have to ask me, just read the article. He was an Adelaide player at the time.

In fact, that list is non-comprehensive. Three other players – Daniel Ward (Melbourne), David Hale (North) and Kieren Jack (Sydney) were penalised for betting at the same time.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/archive/news/goodwin-cops-40000-gambling-fine/news-story/ac70ce72763f0c7b5bde211a6757ae57

Last edited by David on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:09 pm

Well, you didn't have to make me remind you Crisp was a Pies player when he was charged. Wink
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:10 pm

Jezza wrote:
Seriously sick of hearing those say that Stephenson shouldn't have owned up to his mistake. The risk of being caught in the future would have been hanging over him for the rest of his career.

Stephenson got a lesser punishment because he owed up to it in the first place. He's bloody lucky he's even got a chance of returning this year. He didn't bet on one game, he did it several times and seemed oblivious of the fact that he was breaking AFL rules when he ruing over a lost bet after the St Kilda game in the change rooms.

However naive he was, he was thick as a brick in choosing to bet on games involving Collingwood. He was flirting with match fixing when he decided to bet on the final margin of one of our games.

I think he's entitled to a second chance to redeem himself, but he's let down the club badly.

On the other hand, the AFL has a lot to answer for allowing betting companies to have such a stranglehold on the code.

How we are going he might NOT be back this Season

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:11 pm

K wrote:
Well, you didn't have to make me remind you Crisp was a Pies player when he was charged. Wink

I knew that. It just depends which goalposts you’re trying to shift here.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:13 pm

We haven't set the goalposts. Set them first and then I can shift them just to make you happy. (I have to say, this sounds more like discussion for the pre-existing "Stephenson suspended 10 wks" thread, not this new "Howe camp vs. Stephenson camp" thread.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: