Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Howe Camp versus Stevo Camp

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
^ No one would have found out. Right. Must be why no player ever has been done for betting before. Guess Heath Shaw’s eight-week ban was a figment of my imagination.
So it sounds as though you believe that every current player that has ever betted on AFL matches has been caught - and most of them just so happen to be Collingwood players. It'd be incredibly naive to think that all betters have been caught, and the rest of the AFL players are squeaky clean...some may get caught (but not from their own admission - the AFL killed that incentive off), but most will not and instead we'll hear about it from some when their playing careers are over.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 am

Look, we don't know the full story. The facts are the kid bet on matches he was playing in. 10 weeks is pretty lenient in the scheme of things. Sounds like some deal was struck. There's some cricketers that were banned for 5years.
Do we even know how the AFL can check if a player is using his credit card to lay bets? How do they even police that?
The fact that the AFL promotes betting, and receives so many advertising millions from betting agencies is pretty unethical. Betting is scourge on society, destroying lives. So against that, how does the AFL even attempt to be the champion of human rights, and takes a stance on social and moral issues? Hypocritical to say the least. Tben again, how perfectly are they represented by denying that a ball is touched when the camera shows the guy's finger bent at right angles when the ball goes past his hand. They are not just hypocritical, they are laughable.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:21 am

tbaker wrote:
David wrote:
^ No one would have found out. Right. Must be why no player ever has been done for betting before. Guess Heath Shaw’s eight-week ban was a figment of my imagination.

So it sounds as though you believe that every current player that has ever betted on AFL matches has been caught - and most of them just so happen to be Collingwood players. It'd be incredibly naive to think that all betters have been caught, and the rest of the AFL players are squeaky clean...some may get caught (but not from their own admission - the AFL killed that incentive off), but most will not and instead we'll hear about it from some when their playing careers are over.

Yes, I was thinking about that too.

There have been one or two non-Pie player or coach cases, but apart from those it's either not everyone being caught or no one doing it except Pies.

I reckon if you have things to hide, it may be best not to come to the Pies. (e.g. Gubby, Bradshaw, etc. Nothing happens to them. Then they come to the Pies and suddenly there are bullets for them.)
Ads7 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:50 am

Don’t usually post but feel I need to here.

We are all frustrated about this situation. To make it worse, we are not playing well. We miss Stevo in the team. He is a unique talent. I get it.

This happened over 3 weeks ago. What’s done is done. What is the merit in bringing this up, still, when the outcome is not going to change?

The topic of this thread is ridiculous. Why try to divide two of our players, and divide us supporters? We are in a slump and we need to stick together. How about we have a fruitful discussion about how we can improve? Just a crazy idea...

FWIW, my opinion on how these events unfolded is the following. Stevo broke the rules. Badly. Not once, not twice, three times. Howe became aware of this. Howe is a leader, and clearly a person with integrity. He helped his younger teammate own up for his wrongdoing. For the people saying no one would have found out:
1. Howe knew. Both he and Stevo would have had this on their conscience. Guilt would have caught up with them.
2. If it was a throwaway line from Stevo post-match in change room then it is likely that: a) someone else heard too; and/or b) Stevo would have made another casual remark at some stage
3. Stevo’s friends knew and we know how rumours can start and get circulated
4. Most importantly, it doesn’t matter if no one else would have found out. It was wrong. Plain and simple. Black and white (apologies). Suggest some of us look up the definition of integrity. In essence, it is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

We as supporters aren’t feeling good about how we are tracking at the moment. I feel that too. I get people are here to vent their anger and sometimes like to poke blame but please consider using your energy for more purposeful discussion.

I propose we close this thread.

Side by side.
lihei Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:58 am

Ads7 wrote:

We are all frustrated about this situation. To make it worse, we are not playing well. We miss Stevo in the team. He is a unique talent. I get it.

This happened over 3 weeks ago. What’s done is done. What is the merit in bringing this up, still, when the outcome is not going to change?

The topic of this thread is ridiculous. Why try to divide two of our players, and divide us supporters? We are in a slump and we need to stick together. How about we have a fruitful discussion about how we can improve? Just a crazy idea...

FWIW, my opinion on how these events unfolded is the following. Stevo broke the rules. Badly. Not once, not twice, three times. Howe became aware of this. Howe is a leader, and clearly a person with integrity. He helped his younger teammate own up for his wrongdoing. For the people saying no one would have found out:
1. Howe knew. Both he and Stevo would have had this on their conscience. Guilt would have caught up with them.
2. If it was a throwaway line from Stevo post-match in change room then it is likely that: a) someone else heard too; and/or b) Stevo would have made another casual remark at some stage
4. Most importantly, it doesn’t matter if no one else would have found out. It was wrong. Plain and simple. Black and white (apologies). Suggest some of us look up the definition of integrity. In essence, it is doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.

We as supporters aren’t feeling good about how we are tracking at the moment. I feel that too. I get people are here to vent their anger and sometimes like to poke blame but please consider using your energy for more purposeful discussion.

Side by side.

Thanks for the sermon Gil!

npalm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:20 am

Good post Ads7.
Maybe a touch too logical for some.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:48 am

Yes, what's done is done, but I guess it's the frustration and reality of what Stephenson has done (and what it translates to for the team and its struggles) that is beginning to bite. The right thing has indeed been done by coming forward, so we should move on from that - but the saga will not truly be closed until his suspension is served.
duggieboy 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:54 am

Lihei why would you take a shot at Adz post?

Didn't you ask for discussion?

Seemed a pretty decent post to me

Strange

Do you have a particular agenda here?
Dawesy31 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:01 am

Ads7 wrote:

Side by side.

Well said Ads7!
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:12 am

I look at it like a Band-Aid, rip it right off, don't prolong the agony.
He admitted his error & has now faced the consequences.
Was it stupid to bet? Of course it was.
We can now move on.
What was his alternative?
Forever looking over his shoulder & if it did came out (as these things tend to do) the ramifications could spell disaster.
At least when he comes back, his conscience is clear.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:14 am

tbaker wrote:
David wrote:

No, I didn’t say that. It might well be the case that only 50% get caught. Or perhaps much less. But it’s patently untrue to say that there was no significant chance that he would have been caught, because there have been a number of cases of players getting done for AFL bets. See the list below:

https://www.sportsradio.com.au/betting-history-stephenson-the-latest-in-a-long-list-of-afl-wagering-breaches/

I don’t know how each of those players and coaches were caught. But we know that the AFL and betting agencies monitor this stuff, and there are any number of ways that this could have come to light. He and his mate could have had a falling out and his friend could have ratted on him. He could have airily mentioned it to the wrong person (doesn’t seem that unlikely given what we know, does it?) who could have reported it. He could have gotten more and more cocky and kept betting until a point where he failed to cover his steps. No offence to Jaidyn, but we’re not exactly talking about a criminal mastermind here.

So, questions like integrity and honesty aside, let’s please put to bed the idea that the smart move was to keep it hushed up. It would have been a huge risk, and the fallout would have been much worse. Otherwise, I’ll leave it to your own morality as to whether you think it’s a good idea to advise others to do the wrong thing and then lie about it. Thankfully, our club and our players seem to have a bit more integrity than that.

(Also, well said Ads7.)

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:30 am

The AFL suspected -- they have a lot of players on their radar. They literally access bank accounts and know what players are spending their money on. "Irregularities" had been reported to the AFL, they had suspicions.

As Geoff Walsh said himself, our club was shocked with the sentence after what was discussed initially. So obviously the AFL had said some things in the initial stages that made us believe it wouldn't be so bad, then the AFL reneged on that later on.

The only difference between Stephenson and the plethora of other players betting on AFL games is that he owned up to everything, thinking honesty was the right thing to do. Didn't he watch Game of Thrones and see what happened to honourable men like Ned Stark and Jon Snow? I'm happy Stephenson was honest, it was the right thing -- but geez he got thrown under the bus to made an example of.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:37 pm

I don’t see what any of this has got to do with Howe at all

1) Howe didn’t place the bet
2) Howe advises him of the course of action he should take after Stephenson alerts him to the losing bet. Isn’t that what all good mentors do ?
3) Howe didn’t have any input on the course of action or outcome that unfolded. All of that, whether right or wrong, was determined on a much higher level.
There is no camp to be in on this matter. Stephenson was simply stupid.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:49 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
I look at it like a Band-Aid, rip it right off, don't prolong the agony.
He admitted his error & has now faced the consequences.
Was it stupid to bet? Of course it was.
We can now move on.
What was his alternative?
Forever looking over his shoulder & if it did came out (as these things tend to do) the ramifications could spell disaster.
At least when he comes back, his conscience is clear.

as a supporter, a mother, a common sense thinker, i could not agree more

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:50 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
I don’t see what any of this has got to do with Howe at all

1) Howe didn’t place the bet
2) Howe advises him of the course of action he should take after Stephenson alerts him to the losing bet. Isn’t that what all good mentors do ?
3) Howe didn’t have any input on the course of action or outcome that unfolded. All of that, whether right or wrong, was determined on a much higher level.
There is no camp to be in on this matter. Stephenson was simply stupid.

spot on. thats why the title pissed me off so much.

i do think he has been crucified, and no way in hell the rest of the gamblers will coming forward now, and dont kid yourself its just him, im betting 9sorry) its rife, otherwisw why was he so blase about it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: