Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2019 game plan. A question arises that needs an answer.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:03 am
Post subject: The 2019 game plan. A question arises that needs an answer.Reply with quote

Anyone have much of a problem with the game plan of 2018?

Watching the first half tonight reminded so much of our worst football between 2014-2017 when we could often play slow, soulless and robotic football. The Geelong game wasn't much better.

How about we just p*ss off the "tweaks" made over Summer Bucks and we get back to the fast, direct and desperate style that afforded our talented players the ability to play on instinct, with flair and helped us into a Grand Final and you win coach of the year.

We're capable of so much more but need the freedom to show it Bucks.

Last edited by swoop42 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:08 am; edited 2 times in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:19 am
Post subject: Re: The 2019 game plan. Not sold so far.Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
Anyone have much of a problem with the game plan of 2018?

Watching the first half tonight reminded so much of our worst football between 2014-2017 when we could often play slow, soulless and robotic football. The Geelong game wasn't much better.

How about we just p*ss off the "tweaks" made over Summer Bucks and we get back to the fast, direct and desperate style that afforded our talented players the ability to play on instinct, with flair and helped us into a Grand Final and you win coach of the year.

We're capable of so much more but need the freedom to show it Bucks.

Swoop, I posted this in the post-game thread:
I have the feeling that we've been experimenting a bit with game plans so far this season. Trying to find a way of playing controlled football to match it against the Richmonds and Eagles. Please forget that idea Bucks. We have talent to burn and we thrived on chaos football last season. Taking the game on at all costs is the way, not trying to control the movement of the footy. We are great at that - it fires up all the players, brings out the best in them and they play instinctively and brilliantly when allowed to play their natural game.

So yes, I agree with you - the players need the freedom to play the game with their natural flair and instinct.
And please, please, stop playing Jaidyn Stephenson up the ground. We are wasting his prowess in front of goal. I can understand that with Jamie back, they're trying to accommodate all this wonderful talent into the one team, but we can do that by playing JDG having bursts in the middle at centre bounces, Jamie having runs up the wing when he is fitter and leaving Stephenson to display his magic in front of goal (with the help of knockdowns from Mason).
How Beamsy fits into all of that I'm not sure. Perhaps playing whatever weird role they've assigned to Jaidyn???
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:08 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Against Richmond we had 291 kicks, 176 handballs

Tonight we had 219 kicks and 177 handballs
West Coast 219 and 165
Geelong 223 and 157

We obviously had a lot of the ball against Richmond, but we used it a lot better and looked a lot better, even if it took us 3 qtrs. to shake them off.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:22 am

The pre-game tactic of taking stupid pills has been working a treat. We’re making a simple game look ridiculously complex.
Jpies 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:23 am

Agree that we haven't been playing as well as last year. There seems to be a lot less aggression around the contest, and confidence going forward. Crisp has been an exception, his run off half back tonight really stood out.

But, I'm not entirely sure that it's a game plan issue, as opposed to a fairly new team getting used to playing together. The inclusion of Beams, Roughead, Moore and Elliott certainly changes the balance across all positions. The flow on effects are significant; it's basically a new backline, a midfield in which Sidebottom has been pushed out to the wing, and a forward line with three marking forwards in De Goey, Cox and Elliott.

The commentators on Fox tonight seemed to be suggesting both issues were at play. First, that the players at all clubs were instructed to maintain possession by going sideways, rather than kick to a 50/50 down the ground (explaining our slow attack). And second, that our forward line hadn't figured out how to setup together. Presumably, if the forwards aren't confident in themselves, the mids will be less inclined to gamble on a frantic transition (and risk getting caught on the rebound following a turnover). In any event, the Fox commentators expected improvements in our performance after the first 6 - 8 weeks, once the team gets settled.
Jpies 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 am

watt price tully wrote:
The pre-game tactic of taking stupid pills has been working a treat. We’re making a simple game look ridiculously complex.

Stephenson's handball to Cox last week, and Cox's kick to De Goey tonight certainly come to mind!
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 am

This new ‘plan’ is also sleep inducing. I turned the game off half way through the second quarter and didn’t turn it back in. I never thought I’d ever see the day when I could do that with Collingwood love on TV and actually winning. But the game plan, plus the sport, and the ridiculous rule changes, combine to create an awful ‘sport’ to watch.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:06 am

I got close to switching off in the 2nd quarter also.

It was trash from both teams and I fear for football if that's the future direction coaches want to take the game.

Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:17 am

Ah, the annual Round 4 threads and posts are bang on-time.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:50 am

My 2015 level of insanity is back on par.
Time to watch something else.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:51 am

Streak wrote:
Ah, the annual Round 4 threads and posts are bang on-time.

Where is the "like" button

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:47 am

I have a bad dose of influenza at the moment, fever, chills, aches and pains for the past week (on holiday and the rest of the family has caught it). Watching the 2019 game plan last night was the worst i've felt all week, yep it's worse than the flu. I had to check the AFL website to ensure our victory wasn't a weird fever dream where we played like absolute crap and still won.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:24 pm

yeah, we dont look very good do we?
eureka 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:27 pm

must play that intense pressure style footy not that chip chip control crap
E 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:36 pm

maybe trying to save ourselves in the early going. No point spending all our cookies in the early rounds. That was pretty bruise free footy. i bet we recover quickly from that.

God i hope we can beat the bears next week!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: